ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa gets OV for Kyle Filipowski

Was Tyler Smith a five star? Or Luke Recker?
247 has Smith as a 4* (though he is the highest ranked Hawk since they began their star ratings)

I couldn’t find any star ratings online for players in the 90’s, though 247 is the only site that even has them available since ‘05. If anybody knows of another publication that did them for college hoops players before then, I’d be curious to hear more

Reactions: BirdistheWord
247 has Smith as a 4* (though he is the highest ranked Hawk since they began their star ratings)

I couldn’t find any star ratings online for players in the 90’s, though 247 is the only site that even has them available since ‘05. If anybody knows of another publication that did them for college hoops players before then, I’d be curious to hear more

According to Rivals, Smith was a 4* and #43 nationally in the 2006 class.

latest
According to Rivals, Smith was a 4* and #43 nationally in the 2006 class.

Rare basketball crossover for SAB:

And coached that talent to a 10th place ACC finish. Maybe the bloom is just off the coaching part.
Imagine you are a 73 year old coach, trying to get the most out of a perpetually young team, without the typical amount of prep work. Add to it the mortality of Covid patients in your age group. Duke was not the only Blue Blood that struggled last year.

Reactions: BBHawk
Imagine you are a 73 year old coach, trying to get the most out of a perpetually young team, without the typical amount of prep work. Add to it the mortality of Covid patients in your age group. Duke was not the only Blue Blood that struggled last year.
Imagine if you will.... his situation was eerily similar to the rest of college basketball... some teams had more experience, some less. Very few teams had talent on the same level as he did. Kind of leads one back to ‘poor coaching’.

Imagine if you will.... his situation was eerily similar to the rest of college basketball... some teams had more experience, some less. Very few teams had talent on the same level as he did. Kind of leads one back to ‘poor coaching’.
Duke and Grant Hill grrrrr......I don't love or hate Duke, but I'd take Coach K's legacy at Iowa any day. Seems like a huge outlier to me if you look at what they've done for decades. I'm just glad we were able to ride a veteran team, at Iowa, with all the hurdles that came with Covid.

Duke and Grant Hill grrrrr......I don't love or hate Duke, but I'd take Coach K's legacy at Iowa any day. Seems like a huge outlier to me if you look at what they've done for decades. I'm just glad we were able to ride a veteran team, at Iowa, with all the hurdles that came with Covid.
Are you sure you would take the national championships at Iowa? I guess if they had to.
He was faced with a unique situation, he handled it poorly.

Have none of you learned after the Tyler Ulis scenario to never hold out hope of getting a 4 or 5 star stud to play for Iowa? It ain't happening unless they have family biological or financial connection to Iowa

Have none of you learned after the Tyler Ulis scenario to never hold out hope of getting a 4 or 5 star stud to play for Iowa? It ain't happening unless they have family biological or financial connection to Iowa
That is why we’ll never be relevant on the national level or a serious contender for the championship.

Yup, like Tyler Cook or Dasonte Bowen.

Cook was not offered by the real blue bloods. Bowen is a stop gap and good player, but he isn't a Tyler Ulis level recruit.

I stand by my statement. Iowa will not get another elite level recruit unless he is emotionally, financially, or biologically tied to the program. NIL has changed everything and for the wrong reasons.

Cook was not offered by the real blue bloods. Bowen is a stop gap and good player, but he isn't a Tyler Ulis level recruit.

I stand by my statement. Iowa will not get another elite level recruit unless he is emotionally, financially, or biologically tied to the program. NIL has changed everything and for the wrong reasons.
So they aren’t going to get what they haven’t been getting because the NIL changed. Got it

Reactions: Lumas Etima

Whatever.

• Haha
Reactions: GoEagles23

One might argue with you on the blue bloods offers

Reactions: BBHawk

Were we pulling down 5 star recruits prior to NIL?

I do think it will change things in lots of respects, but insofar as the NIL will help "the great programs get the great players," its not going to cause much of a sea change.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT