ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa GOP moves closer to arming school staff and giving them legal immunity in shootings

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
A disaster waiting to happen:

Teachers and other school staff could obtain a professional permit to carry guns on school grounds under a Republican-backed bill that passed the Iowa House Wednesday night after a tense debate.

House lawmakers voted 61-34 to pass House File 2586 Wednesday night. The bill would also require the state's largest districts to employ security officers or school resource officers in high school buildings unless the district's school board votes against it.

Private schools, as well as colleges and universities, would also be allowed to arm staff.

Lawmakers shared emotional stories on the House floor, recalling recent school shootings in Iowa and instances when they'd been notified that their children's schools had gone into lockdown.

POLITICS

Iowa GOP moves closer to arming school staff and giving them legal immunity in shootings​

Galen Bacharier Stephen Gruber-Miller
Des Moines Register

Teachers and other school staff could obtain a professional permit to carry guns on school grounds under a Republican-backed bill that passed the Iowa House Wednesday night after a tense debate.

House lawmakers voted 61-34 to pass House File 2586 Wednesday night. The bill would also require the state's largest districts to employ security officers or school resource officers in high school buildings unless the district's school board votes against it.

Private schools, as well as colleges and universities, would also be allowed to arm staff.

Lawmakers shared emotional stories on the House floor, recalling recent school shootings in Iowa and instances when they'd been notified that their children's schools had gone into lockdown.
"This bill sets a very high standard," Thompson said. "Because we’re talking about the safety of our children, the bar must be high. We recognize that this responsibility must be taken very seriously."

Democrats and those opposed to the measure say more armed personnel won't make students safer, raising concerns about lacking mental health resources and school security infrastructure while blasting Republicans' priorities on the issue.

Republicans proposed the legislation weeks after a shooter who was a student at Perry High School killed sixth-grader Ahmir Jolliff and principal Dan Marburger and wounded half a dozen others. Supporters have touted the measure as a key step in preventing future shootings and upping security in Iowa schools.

The bill's floor manager, Rep. Phil Thompson, R-Boone, outlined the training that school employees would have to complete in order to obtain a permit to carry a weapon on school grounds.

Everyone notice how the Radical Right has been successful on tamping down discussions for gun law reforms until we have the next mass shooting?

Those campaign donations from the NRA and gun manufacturers still working their magic.

I don’t know about you guys, but most of my teachers were older women. Any of you City High grads think Alta Cook would have been able to shoot anyone? I’d say I had maybe 3 teachers I’d trust with a gun K-12.
The same goes for work, by the way. That discussion came up after a mass shooting. I have more co-workers I fear may come in and shoot the place up versus would be competent in defending the office from a mass shooter.

Curious to see details of legal immunity. Is it going to be the same standard police have. Must there be a gun present for teacher to act. Etc etc.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I'm curious as to how other teachers that don't carry are going to feel about this. Let's say there were 4-5 people at my company that were carrying while in the office, and I knew they had no background in the military, law enforcement, etc, I would not like being around them. I can't help but think some teachers will feel uncomfortable knowing their colleagues completed an easy course, and thats it and now they've got a gun in the school.

There's going to be an instance where some student is going to get their hands on that teacher's gun.

Only a matter of time.

Republicans just continue to come up with stupid shit.

Reactions: dekhawk and lucas80
There's going to be an instance where some student is going to get their hands on that teacher's gun.

Only a matter of time.

Republicans just continue to come up with stupid shit.
That's why they'll need to throw in some immunity for school districts.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I'm curious as to how other teachers that don't carry are going to feel about this. Let's say there were 4-5 people at my company that were carrying while in the office, and I knew they had no background in the military, law enforcement, etc, I would not like being around them. I can't help but think some teachers will feel uncomfortable knowing their colleagues completed an easy course, and thats it and now they've got a gun in the school.
Any teacher with a brain isn't going to carry at work. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen on so many levels, immunity or not, even for cops that only goes so far. Likely, teachers would need to carry insurance because lord knows the school district isn't going to pay for it. High School kids get dumber every year, the amount of dumb shit that happens is astounding. The most likely scenario is that the gun would be taken from a teacher.

It's also a job that people are leaving in record numbers, which means people aren't happy in their jobs....I'm not giving that person a weapon.

Finally, nobody can predict how they would react in an emergency like a school shooting. Would a teacher REALLY be able to put a kid down they have known for years?

To summarize. MAGA has no solutions and are insane.

1588952054530-gif.5788

Any teacher with a brain isn't going to carry at work. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen on so many levels, immunity or not, even for cops that only goes so far. Likely, teachers would need to carry insurance because lord knows the school district isn't going to pay for it. High School kids get dumber every year, the amount of dumb shit that happens is astounding. The most likely scenario is that the gun would be taken from a teacher.

It's also a job that people are leaving in record numbers, which means people aren't happy in their jobs....I'm not giving that person a weapon.

Finally, nobody can predict how they would react in an emergency like a school shooting. Would a teacher REALLY be able to put a kid down they have known for years?

no-lies-detected-lie-detector.gif

When the district in Cherokee tried to arm teachers last year, the school board voted to arm 45 teachers and support staffers. FORTY-FIVE!

At my office several people used to carry and it didn't bother me as long as I felt they were emotionally stable individuals, I actually carried too for a while.

That said my office is not a school. If one of us left a gun on our desk it wasn't likely anything would happen. Not that it ever happened that I noticed.

My issue with the whole idea of teachers carrying is that it seems far more likely that a kid gets ahold of a firearm and turns it against himself, his classmates, or staff then a teacher successfully confronting and defeating an active shooter.

Every day that there isn't an active shooter you are introducing a gun around kids some of whom could be mentally struggling. That seems like not a good idea, and you are doing this for the advantage of if there is an active shooter a person without a great deal of training can potentially fight back at a major disadvantage.

I mean if I knew there was going to be an active shooter that day I would want every teacher who could operate a gun to have one.... but in reality the vast majority of days there is no active shooter and you are introducing a gun around people who can be emotionally volitile.

Last edited:
Reactions: McLovin32
A disaster waiting to happen:

POLITICS

Iowa GOP moves closer to arming school staff and giving them legal immunity in shootings​

Galen Bacharier Stephen Gruber-Miller
Des Moines Register

"This bill sets a very high standard," Thompson said. "Because we’re talking about the safety of our children, the bar must be high. We recognize that this responsibility must be taken very seriously."

Democrats and those opposed to the measure say more armed personnel won't make students safer, raising concerns about lacking mental health resources and school security infrastructure while blasting Republicans' priorities on the issue.

Republicans proposed the legislation weeks after a shooter who was a student at Perry High School killed sixth-grader Ahmir Jolliff and principal Dan Marburger and wounded half a dozen others. Supporters have touted the measure as a key step in preventing future shootings and upping security in Iowa schools.

The bill's floor manager, Rep. Phil Thompson, R-Boone, outlined the training that school employees would have to complete in order to obtain a permit to carry a weapon on school grounds.
They should allow guns at the GOP convention as well this year. It could save some lives.

Reactions: lucas80 and MitchLL

It's also a factor in people wanting to leave the profession. I know a few teachers in IC and I texted several yesterday. None of them want to carry a gun at school. If you are a young person choosing a career path does going into an armed school excite you?

I am certain my wife has never held a firearm, and she has zero interest in starting now and wouldn't use one anyway. She loves teaching and can't imagine doing anything else, but stuff like this could move her towards leaving that and doing something else for a few years.

It's time to hold Orange Turd rallies on school grounds during school days.

Those damn Orange pedophiles are everywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT