ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa has 6th Toughest Schedule in the Country

Gotta love ISU fans’ SOS argument. So they get credit for playing a top 15 team (Iowa) and Iowa gets penalized for playing an unranked 7-6 team (ISU). Same thing basically every year. Their SOS rises cause of their Super Bowl and our’s falls. And yet we still win and end up ranked higher and play in a tougher conference. Rinse and repeat. 17-3 in main sports over 5 years versus the “bear.” Maybe the “storm” will finally come next year or the “process” is finally trusted next year. The ISU mantra. “Next year.”

Alabama at #23, LSU at #46 and Clemson at #57. What is wrong with that picture?

Why is the B1G playing 9 conference games again? The ACC & SEC don't; they play 8.

Ever hear of Nicholls University? Well, that's who LSU is playing (along with UT San Antonio & Rice). And Bama plays Georgia State, Kent State and UT Martin.

Clemson at least plays a couple good nonconference games; their conference schedule is garbage.

Clemson's schedule:
at Notre Dame
South Carolina
Akron
The Citadel
at Georgia Tech
Louisville
Virginia
at Boston College
at Florida State
NC State
Syracuse
at Wake Forest

Bama's schedule:
Univ Southern California
Georgia State
Kent State
UT Martin
Georgia
at Ole Miss
at Arkansas
MS State
at Tenn
at LSU
Texas A&M
Auburn

LSU's schedule:
UT San Antonio
Texas
Rice
Nicholls
Ole Miss
at Florida
at Arkansas
MS State
Alabama
South Carolina
at Auburn
at Texas A&M

Iowa's Schedule:
Iowa State
Northern Illinois
UNI
at Minnesota
Michigan State
at Ohio State
at Penn State
Northwestern
at Illinois
Debbie
at Purdue
Wisconsin

Last edited:
We all know about the quick 6 day turn around from the ISU game (Sep 12) to the game in Minneapolis (Sep 18).

The Oct 3 home game vs MSU is virtually a must win game. The following 2 weeks? At Ohio State (Oct 10) & at Penn State (Oct 17).

And check out the additional advantage OSU and PSU will have, which I didn't realize:

Iowa's 2020 Schedule:

Sep 5 UNI
Sep 12 Iowa State
Sep 18 at Minnesota

Sep 26 Northern Illinois
Oct 3 Michigan State
Oct 10 at Ohio State
Oct 17 at Penn State

Oct 24 Northwestern
Oct 31 BYE
Nov 7 at Illinois
Nov 14 Debbie
Nov 21 at Purdue
Nov 28 Wisconsin

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
Debbie has to give Frost 5 years at least...right?
I think Debbie will give him five years, unless they go completely off the tracks and don't show any progress. Really, with where Debbie has been in the recruiting rankings over the years, there is no reason Frost shouldn't win 7 games this year, with six at the bare minimum. I keep hearing the Debbie fans say when Frost has all his recruits, well, even Riley's classes were ranked higher then Iowa's, and Riley recruited several 4* WR's. Riley just seemed to be unable to coach them up. I have said this many times, if Frost cannot field a top 30 defense, he has little chance at winning the West, let alone the BiG. I remember the old Dan Marino Miami Dolphins. They could score with anyone, but their defense was never good, so they would lose to teams who could field a defense. I remember the Dolphins losing games like 51-49. I am glad Debbie chose to hire Frost then someone like Bielema. LOL The West would have been a blood bath. LOL

The toughest schedule list is wrong. Everyone from the sec will say this. Automatically they should be positions 1-14 followed by the remaining conferences. Nobody plays a tougher schedule.

Reactions: HawkInArk
I think Debbie will give him five years, unless they go completely off the tracks and don't show any progress. Really, with where Debbie has been in the recruiting rankings over the years, there is no reason Frost shouldn't win 7 games this year, with six at the bare minimum. I keep hearing the Debbie fans say when Frost has all his recruits, well, even Riley's classes were ranked higher then Iowa's, and Riley recruited several 4* WR's. Riley just seemed to be unable to coach them up. I have said this many times, if Frost cannot field a top 30 defense, he has little chance at winning the West, let alone the BiG. I remember the old Dan Marino Miami Dolphins. They could score with anyone, but their defense was never good, so they would lose to teams who could field a defense. I remember the Dolphins losing games like 51-49. I am glad Debbie chose to hire Frost then someone like Bielema. LOL The West would have been a blood bath. LOL
I pray to the football gods that Frost and Nebraska finish under .500 again.

The thing with the SEC is
they only have 8 coference games and each team schedules 3 gimmes
8 of the 14 teams are just so so or bad

I’m guessing they will. In year 4 the 21’ schedule is brutal. At OU for non conf. Osu, Michigan and @MSU for east cross over matchups. Then throw in @minny plus Iowa and Wisconsin.

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa-2021/team/nebraska

Here's their 2020 schedule. They could start off 7-0 with a little bit of luck. No matter what, however, this likely is their 17th consecutive season (2004-2020) with at least 4 losses.

Sep 5: Purdue
Sep 12: Central Michigan
Sep 19: South Dakota State
Sep 26: Cincinnati
Oct 3: at Northwestern
Oct 10: Illinois
Oct 17: BYE
Oct 24: at Rutgers
Oct 31: at Ohio State
Nov 7: Penn State
Nov 14: at Iowa
Nov 21: at Wisconsin
Nov 27: Minnesota

Reactions: TJFant
Here's their 2020 schedule. They could start off 7-0 with a little bit of luck. No matter what, however, this likely is their 17th consecutive season (2004-2020) with at least 4 losses.

Sep 5: Purdue
Sep 12: Central Michigan
Sep 19: South Dakota State
Sep 26: Cincinnati
Oct 3: at Northwestern
Oct 10: Illinois
Oct 17: BYE
Oct 24: at Rutgers
Oct 31: at Ohio State
Nov 7: Penn State
Nov 14: at Iowa
Nov 21: at Wisconsin
Nov 27: Minnesota

They could but I wouldn’t bet on it. 1st game vs Purdue could be tricky and one game even at home I could see cincy as the favorite. They could be one of if not the best non power 5 team next year. But I also wouldn’t be shocked at all to see them finish the year 0-5 with that stretch of games.

Reactions: Franisdaman
May 27, 2020

The first FCS Football poll of the 2020 season:

1 North Dakota State
2 South Dakota State
3 UNI
4 Sacramento State
5 James Madison
6 Weber State
7 Montana
8 Villanova
9 Montana State
10 Central Arkansas
11 Kennesaw State
12 Illinois State
13 Austin Peay
14 Furman
15 Delaware
16 Princeton
17 New Hampshire
18 Eastern Washington
19 North Carolina A&T
20 Florida A&M
21 The Citadel
22 Southern Illinois
23 Sam Houston State
24 Albany
25 Yale

LINK: https://ktiv.com/2020/05/27/sdsu-un...tm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_BradKTIV4

It’s BS when these hot shots say Illinois has an easy schedule, we don’t even get to play ourselves! :p

(I actually think we could be pretty decent this year, though.)

It’s BS when these hot shots say Illinois has an easy schedule, we don’t even get to play ourselves! :p

(I actually think we could be pretty decent this year, though.)

Your Illini do have an easy schedule, but everybody does at one time or another with the whims of Big Ten football scheduling.

I agree that Illinois will have a decent team and perhaps knock off a team or two. Purdue, Minnesota, Nebraska, not Iowa. I hope not Iowa.

With today's announcement of the B1G ten game schedule, here is the

Updated Big Ten Strength of Schedules:

Eeqbv2sX0AElvA2

Source:

Why is the B1G playing 9 conference games again? The ACC & SEC don't; they play 8.

Ever hear of Nicholls University? Well, that's who LSU is playing (along with UT San Antonio & Rice). And Bama plays Georgia State, Kent State and UT Martin.

Clemson at least plays a couple good nonconference games; their conference schedule is garbage.

Clemson's schedule:
at Notre Dame
South Carolina
Akron
The Citadel
at Georgia Tech
Louisville
Virginia
at Boston College
at Florida State
NC State
Syracuse
at Wake Forest

Bama's schedule:
Univ Southern California
Georgia State
Kent State
UT Martin
Georgia
at Ole Miss
at Arkansas
MS State
at Tenn
at LSU
Texas A&M
Auburn

LSU's schedule:
UT San Antonio
Texas
Rice
Nicholls
Ole Miss
at Florida
at Arkansas
MS State
Alabama
South Carolina
at Auburn
at Texas A&M

Iowa's Schedule:
Iowa State
Northern Illinois
UNI
at Minnesota
Michigan State
at Ohio State
at Penn State
Northwestern
at Illinois
Debbie
at Purdue
Wisconsin

It has nothing to do with competitiveness and everything to do with programming for BTN. They got tired of having a bunch of crappy matchu-ups week 4 and having bad ratings so they just eliminated that possibility, or at the very least reduced the number of weeks with terrible match-ups and no interest by one week. Remember, BTN schools would choose never winning a championship and making a few extra million every year over less money and winning championships every time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT