ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa held its FIRST EVER Girls Wrestling Camp

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Any of you have a daughter/niece/etc attend this camp?

You will get a kick out of the linked article; please read it! Great coverage from HawkCentral/the Des Moines Register!

Some excerpts from the linked article below:

“Good morning, ladies,” said the Tom Brands, the Hawkeyes’ head wrestling coach.

Some of the country’s best women’s freestyle wrestlers were on the mat Monday — not only Alli Ragan and Lauren Louive, both members of the Hawkeye Wrestling Club, but also Kayla Miracle, Forrest Molinari and Michaela Beck. Ragan and Molinari recently made the 2018 world team. Miracle was a U.S. Open Champ. Beck and Louive were both runners-up.

All five spent the past three days as the lead instructors for the Iowa wrestling program’s first All Female Wrestling Camp. They coached girls of all ages and skill levels from around the country (including one from Alaska) inside Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

“When I was looking at camps to go to in high school, I was usually the only girl with all boys’ coaches,” said Ragan, a two-time world silver medalist. “I think this is a great opportunity for girls, and it shows how our sport is growing. We had all-girls clinicians and all-girls campers, and I think that’s huge.”

One of the goals of the camp, Louive said, is to introduce the idea of girls’ wrestling to campers. The sport has grown rapidly in recent years. In 2016-17, 14,587 high school girls wrestled nationwide, according to the National Federation of State High School Associations. The number of states sanctioning girls' wrestling numbers in the double digits, though Iowa isn't one of them. And the overall participation total is nearly three times what it was a decade ago (5,048 in 2006-07).

“Every camp that I go to, I always tell them about the growth in women’s wrestling,” Louive said. “There are many opportunities at all different levels. You can get your school paid for. You could win an Olympic gold medal. You just have to work for it.

“All the boys on the team here at Iowa, and on other teams, have sisters or cousins that watch and support them. So if they see a girl out there wrestling, they’re like, ‘Oh, I can do that, too.’ We went around to every girl here and asked how they got started in wrestling, and almost all either had a brother that wrestled or their dad coached.”

LINK to the full story and video clip: https://hawkcentral.com/story/sport...ering-girls-wrestling-conversation/768929002/

Link to photos from the camp: https://hawkcentral.com/picture-gal...a-holds-first-womens-wrestling-camp/36734785/

Two of the 15 photos:

636667498604415485-0709-GirlsWrestling-013.JPG

636667498846445186-0709-GirlsWrestling-015.JPG

Last edited:
Seriously, how awesome would it be if Iowa had a women's wrestling program? I'm not sure what has to happen first - whether the state needs to sanction it so that there is a significant pool of local talent to draw from, or if the paper pushers at the NCAA and B1G offices greenlight the sport - I just want to see it happen. Would anyone be interested in watching a double header dual vs. Okie State/PSU/OSU? I realize that some won't share my enthusiasm, but I'd love to support the Lady Hawks and hope Iowa can lead the way for women's wrestling coming to Division 1.

Seriously, how awesome would it be if Iowa had a women's wrestling program? I'm not sure what has to happen first - whether the state needs to sanction it so that there is a significant pool of local talent to draw from, or if the paper pushers at the NCAA and B1G offices greenlight the sport - I just want to see it happen. Would anyone be interested in watching a double header dual vs. Okie State/PSU/OSU? I realize that some won't share my enthusiasm, but I'd love to support the Lady Hawks and hope Iowa can lead the way for women's wrestling coming to Division 1.

I support any student-athletes that don the black and gold.

The state of Texas is one that has wrestling as a separate sanction sport complete with a state tournament. Not sure how many schools field a team, but there is an ex-Iowa wrestler down here in San Antonio that is a coach at the neighborhood high school. He was an upper weight wrestler, just don’t remember his name.

All they would have to do is field a team. For now they could build a schedule around duals with the Midwestern colleges that have women's teams (McKendree, Jamestown, Waldorf, Lindenwood, etc). They would then qualify wrestlers to compete in the Women's College Wrestling Association National Championships. All you have to do is look at the Iowa girls on women's rosters (Megan Black, Cassie Herkelman and Jasmine Bailey at McKendree and Rachel Watters at OCU) and the girls from Hawaii, California, Washington and Texas that go to school in North Dakota, Iowa, Nebraska, etc to realize that filling a roster in Iowa City would be relatively easy.

The real challenge is getting the NCAA to grant emerging sport status to women's wrestling. Tom Brands is a leader in this movement. NCAA bylaws require that an emerging sport have 40 varsity programs at the end of 10 years (or be making significant progress toward that number) to hold a Division I Championship. The "emerging sports" category was begun in 1994 and since then five women's sports have gained championship status: beach volleyball, rowing, ice hockey, water polo and bowling. Three sports are in the development stage: equestrian, rugby and triathlon.

Reactions: LBlindHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT