ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa high school baseball.

Run&Blade

HR Legend
May 6, 2005
4 classes, 8 teams in final games. Six of those teams were Catholic.

About time to have a public championship.

I read some Assumption players live in Illinois. No idea if it is true.

Oh a Catholic circle jerk....

giphy.gif

If you can't beat em, then that on the public schools. I am a public school kid and we got our butts handed us by Catholic Programs. Everyone thinks that these schools "recruit" and they do not. Majority (90-95%) of those students that attend those schools have been attending private schools since they were in Kindergarten.

I played against several good players who all attended private schools and they told me while in college that they went to school from k-12 in private schools. They said they would "every so often" get a kid open enroll, but they said almost all of them would leave because they didnt' like the uniform requirements or the strict behavior code.

I can't speak on the Assumption/Illinois rumors as I have never heard of that. But these schools do not recruit. I can guarantee you that. I thought the same thing all throughout high school and when I went to college and talked to a lot of the private school kids, they told me the exact opposite.

They've said the same thing about football in Indiana for years. They finally started moving the Catholic schools up in class level until they couldn't win anymore. My son's high school won the state tournament in Classes 3, 4, and 5 (out of a 6 class structure) so they finally moved them to Class 6. They made it to the final 8 and were beaten in double OT by a team with twice their enrollment and who had a QB who signed with Michigan after his senior year.

If you can't beat em, then that on the public schools. I am a public school kid and we got our butts handed us by Catholic Programs. Everyone thinks that these schools "recruit" and they do not. Majority (90-95%) of those students that attend those schools have been attending private schools since they were in Kindergarten.

I played against several good players who all attended private schools and they told me while in college that they went to school from k-12 in private schools. They said they would "every so often" get a kid open enroll, but they said almost all of them would leave because they didnt' like the uniform requirements or the strict behavior code.

I can't speak on the Assumption/Illinois rumors as I have never heard of that. But these schools do not recruit. I can guarantee you that. I thought the same thing all throughout high school and when I went to college and talked to a lot of the private school kids, they told me the exact opposite.
I know what you are saying. The Catholic schools do benefit somewhat from their structural organization, at least in football from my observations. The kids start playing CYO ball in 3rd grade and do play tough competition. That can only make you better.

I know for a fact that there are a couple of smaller private schools with great basketball teams whose players didn't go to those schools from K-12. Both are in the DSM are and both have had numerous transfers in over the last 4-5 years of kids who are really good ballplayers.

I don't think privates schools should be separate, however I'd be good with a multiplier. They have a distinct advantage in that they can pull from a much greater area than most public schools. Considering we're talking about something that ahouldn't have the emphasis it does in society, we shouldn't be rewarding teams for gIving themselves an advantage.

And I say that as someone who very nearly sent my twins to one of the schools I mentioned above.

The son of a good friend of mine was recruited to open enroll in a local public school. One that was better in football. I've lived in Mount Pleasant for years and they've recruited in football for years.

Reactions: TheCainer
Look at 2A/3A. Decorah pella waverly mt Vernon and north Fayette tend to fare pretty well. Greater access to resources dos make a difference. Therefore private schools in big towns are at a huge advantage.

Reactions: terrehawk
Biggest difference is size of the talent pool. Schools from towns of 100k playing towns of 1000 people. What's the difference?

Also lets face it, some of these private schools are in bigger areas where there are more competition. Sorry but SW Iowa is not on the same level as Eastern Iowa in terms of talent. I mean Assumption can play anyone in the MAC or MVC (4A size schools). Harlan could play the Omaha school or possibly the Des Moines schools? Assumption its a 10-60min bus ride to play any of the MAC/MVC schools. Harlan would have to travel how far?

Regina the same way in Football. They challenge themselves and play a tough NON-conf vs some top quality opponents to get ready for the regular season. Can't fault them for where they are located.

Also in a large town you can get those 1 to 2 recruits that completely change a team. Pick up 1 stud every year and you are a completely different team.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes

so like, a consolation tournament?

In VA where I live, it's 2 separate systems. Public schools have their own system, and Independent schools have their own athletic association. So state tournaments are run in parallel. For me, it waters down the whole thing. I'd much prefer everyone be thrown in the same pool with only divisions for school size, just like Iowa does it.

Also lets face it, some of these private schools are in bigger areas where there are more competition. Sorry but SW Iowa is not on the same level as Eastern Iowa in terms of talent. I mean Assumption can play anyone in the MAC or MVC (4A size schools). Harlan could play the Omaha school or possibly the Des Moines schools? Assumption its a 10-60min bus ride to play any of the MAC/MVC schools. Harlan would have to travel how far?

Regina the same way in Football. They challenge themselves and play a tough NON-conf vs some top quality opponents to get ready for the regular season. Can't fault them for where they are located.
No you can't fault them but you can recognize the difference between a 1a school with 2000 people in a 30 mile radius and a 1a school with 200-300K in a 30 mile radius.
To preemptively answer sodakhawks future question

I would have them all play 4A in baseball and up one class in basketball and football.

Let's list the schools:

4A: Johnston vs. Dowling Catholic. Dowling went 36-9, and is one of the largest schools in the state. 1400+ enrollment, Johnston has 1600, and only lost 3 times this year.
3A: Davenport Assumption vs. Harlan.
2A: Beckman Catholic vs. Kuemper Catholic. Both teams had 11 losses.
1A: Newman Catholic vs. Martensdale St. Marys. The more surprising thing here is that MSM lost, a powerhouse over the years and not Catholic.

How many Catholic schools were in the finals last year?
2 - Remsen St. Marys and Kuemper Catholic. The other schools in finals? West Sioux, Clear Lake, Harlan, Carlisle, Cedar Rapids Prairie, Iowa City West.

2015?

Also, we'll just conveniently ignore things like S.E. Polk bringing on two new wrestlers from outside their district this year, a year they would otherwise, on paper, lose to Fort Dodge at the tournament.

Reactions: Pinehawk
No you can't fault them but you can recognize the difference between a 1a school with 2000 people in a 30 mile radius and a 1a school with 200-300K in a 30 mile radius.
To preemptively answer sodakhawks future question

I see some small Catholic schools from some small towns on that list of finalists. What's the problem? Too many people in Carroll for Kuemper to cull their recruits from?

I would have them all play 4A in baseball and up one class in basketball and football.
You would have Newman Catholic (175), St. Edmond, FD (~120), Bishop Garrigan out of Algona, Remsen St. Marys, etc. should all play with schools who have enrollment more than 10x theirs?

Reactions: irunlikeAcieEarl
I see some small Catholic schools from some small towns on that list of finalists. What's the problem? Too many people in Carroll for Kuemper to cull their recruits from?

Exactly, and Dowling, with its large enrollment and lots of money doesn't beat out the other CIML teams any more than the others do.

You would have Newman Catholic (175), St. Edmond, FD (~120), Bishop Garrigan out of Algona, Remsen St. Marys, etc. should all play with schools who have enrollment more than 10x theirs?
Yeah. That is just stupid.

Face it, the most bitching comes from 3A size schools (ahem, Harlan) that aren't dominating anymore. But look there, Harlan is in the finals, they even beat SC Heelan to get there.

Yeah. That is just stupid.

Face it, the most bitching comes from 3A size schools (ahem, Harlan) that aren't dominating anymore. But look there, Harlan is in the finals, they even beat SC Heelan to get there.

And I'm sure St. Eds in Fort Dodge was bitching in football a few years ago when they ran in to the Regina buzz saw - complaining about population sizes. Losers bitch, winners gloat.

What does Johnston have that the rest of the CIML doesn't? Why were they able to beat such a powerhouse Catholic school?

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
The son of a good friend of mine was recruited to open enroll in a local public school. One that was better in football. I've lived in Mount Pleasant for years and they've recruited in football for years.

Where does MtP recruit from? Rome and Lockridge are already in the school district.

Reactions: Tom Paris
And I'm sure St. Eds in Fort Dodge was bitching in football a few years ago when they ran in to the Regina buzz saw - complaining about population sizes. Losers bitch, winners gloat.

What does Johnston have that the rest of the CIML doesn't? Why were they able to beat such a powerhouse Catholic school?

Pitching?

I can tell you that I know for a fact Assumption baseball recruits. I know 3 of their coaches pretty well. They recruited the Buetel kid from North. So basically your guarantees suck. I just asked and they have 2-3 kids on the team who live in Illinois.

Like in the other thread, I have less of a problem with recruiting than I do playing and winning a 4A league and then dropping down in the playoffs when you play with big city talent, and smashing small towns.

Bettendorf has had football players that live in west Davenport. Is Bettendorf a catholic school? It happens everywhere.

Don't tell me they don't recruit, bc some absolutely do. I've had conversations with parents who have been on the receiving end of it.
Yes, a woman once told about her son being recruited to Dowling, he and his siblings went to Valley.. To be fair, though, they were a Catholic family, and private schools usually do recruit, or at least advertise, for all their students. But to say that Dowling and other Catholic schools don't recruit athletes is naive. Funny, when I was in HS,a number of kids, including athletes, went to my public HS,
after 8th grade, instead of the small Catholic HS, both because of athletics or to take courses the small HS didn't offer.

Good lord you are comparing Des Moines vs Des Moines and fort dodge vs Iowa city. Most of us are arguing a Calmar vs Iowa city.
Greater numbers tend te equalize the playing field. A town of 1,200 vs 90k is completly different.
Newman is in a town of 30k. Carroll is a large enough town to support a 2A and 3a school. How many titles does carrol hs have? Like I said it doesn't take but a couple kids to move to completely change a sport for an entire class. People like to say "most" of the private school kids went to school there their entire lives. Two good athletes replacing two crappy one will change and team. Carrol and even Algona are large enough to support that.

Reactions: terrehawk
I can tell you that I know for a fact Assumption baseball recruits. I know 3 of their coaches pretty well. They recruited the Buetel kid from North. So basically your guarantees suck. I just asked and they have 2-3 kids on the team who live in Illinois.

Like in the other thread, I have less of a problem with recruiting than I do playing and winning a 4A league and then dropping down in the playoffs when you play with big city talent, and smashing small towns.

^^^^^^Nailed it. The issue is the privates (with the exception of 4A) schedule up during the regular season and then actually play a weaker schedule during the playoffs. Could the publics play up? Not as likely in the smaller classes even if they wanted to due largely to geography. The privates sit in an oasis of the metro areas while the public counterparts are often near county wide schools who are already facing a lot of travel to play teams of their own size.

Let the publics and privates play together during the regular season but I'd split them in the post season and make 2 private classes. Big and little.

Reactions: Vroom_C14
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT