ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa high school baseball.

I could care less about recruiting everyone has the same ability to encourage movement. The difference is that Regina has around 6,000-7,000 students nearby that they just need to flip one or two of.
The same size school in sw Iowa maybe has 250 kids they could potentially flip.
It's a numbers game.

I could care less about recruiting everyone has the same ability to encourage movement. The difference is that Regina has around 6,000-7,000 students nearby that they just need to flip one or two of.
It's a numbers game.

So, you are asserting that Regina, in a specific sport, had players "flip" to them during high school, that allowed them to win a championship?

**One kid off the roster...wow. I watched the championship game online...lots of last names the same as my classmates back in the late 80's early 90's...OMG it's their kids! Or nephews!

** It's less than 15 miles from AHS to Illinois...maybe it's closer than Alleman for that family? Maybe they work in Davenport? Got kicked out of Alleman? I had regular, non-athlete classmates from Illinois...

**Harlan was making its 7th consecutive trip to the state tournament...Harlan has always been a power at that level, I remember hating them as a kid when I lived in Denison back in the 70's...

**Assumption just won its 10th summer baseball title (1 4A, 7 3A, 2 2A) It's considered a "blue blood" school when it comes to baseball in the QCA...blue bloods attract talent...

**We voted, back in 1987 to stay 4A in football and let the state place us in the "correct" level for the other sports...it was a struggle to become competitive...my senior year, our football play-off game at Bettendorf I counted 115 players in uniform for the Bulldogs, that's 10 more than I had total kids in my class (105)

**Interesting map, theIowaHawkI always wondered how my nephew and nieces ended up at DeWitt Central instead of Delwood/Maquoketa, that little "out cut" up Hwy 61 did it

It's a numbers game.

Small rural Iowa towns (and their school districts) are dying. They aren't going to be winning as many State Championships as the years progress. And, I don't think the rules need to be changed to somehow manufacture them some athletic success.

That is the point, they generally aren't "that much better." As a poster pointed out, one 2A school has been very successful, 3A Catholics thrive, but the rest isn't "that much better".

How often did your Mason City actually beat Valley?
When I was in school, we would split in basketball and baseball. Yea, football and track they would kill us but that's where their huge school enrollment was a factor. Valley also has a successful football program where Mason City has only won the championship once, when Barry Alvarez was the coach. Success breeds success in athletics.

Last edited:
Small rural Iowa towns (and their school districts) are dying. They aren't going to be winning as many State Championships as the years progress. And, I don't think the rules need to be changed to somehow manufacture them some athletic success.
Fairfield is dying? Mount Pleasant is dying? West Branch is dying? DeWitt is dying? Osage is dying? Maquoketa is dying? Decorah is dying? Shenendoah is dying? Yeah, that just isn't true. You continue to miss the point. When influential school parents and administrators meet in a bar to shut down a conference...just so they can win a state football title...THAT sounds like manufacturing.

When influential school parents and administrators meet in a bar to shut down a conference...just so they can win a state football title...THAT sounds like manufacturing.
Whoa. What school was that?

Davenport Assumption. They ended MAC conference football at that meeting. Met at Jersey Grille. The AD, who is the football coach, was feeling the pressure because most of the other teams at the school were winning state titles, and well football is king...so they decided to get out of the MAC for football which allowed them to drop down to 3A. It's just a matter of time before it works out for them too. They have been a very good 4A team for years...but very good isn't good enough. They would rather beat up small towns to get the title than do what others on here suggest public schools should do...get better.

Reactions: bigfridaynite
Davenport Assumption. They ended MAC conference football at that meeting. Met at Jersey Grille. The AD, who is the football coach, was feeling the pressure because most of the other teams at the school were winning state titles, and well football is king...so they decided to get out of the MAC for football which allowed them to drop down to 3A. It's just a matter of time before it works out for them too. They have been a very good 4A team for years...but very good isn't good enough. They would rather beat up small towns to get the title than do what others on here suggest public schools should do...get better.

As a North grad, you should be happy they ended your annual loss...North is 0 for life vs. Assumption in football...

So, you are asserting that Regina, in a specific sport, had players "flip" to them during high school, that allowed them to win a championship?
Absolutely they have, in multiple sports, especially football. Multiple west and city kids have moved to Regina in recent years.
As for baseball, I know of 2 starters that moved to Regina recently just off the top of my head, one from solon, one from west.

Wow. That's crazy.

Xavier did the same thing. Well, moving down to 3A at least. They had a really good program while in 4A anyway.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Wow. That's crazy.

Xavier did the same thing. Well, moving down to 3A at least. They had a really good program while in 4A anyway.

Being from CR, I do know that Xavier has capped their enrollment to ensure that they will always be 3A. They know right where the cutoff is for 4A/3A and make sure they are always right below it. Then they play a 4A schedule for the entire season and then dip down and play teams like DeWitt Central in the playoffs. Again, how is that fun as a competitor? Wouldn't you want to compete against the big dogs to find out how good you are?

Yea.

West and North rotate who gets to go 1-8 :(
Some of the toughest kids you'll find are the North or West kids who play football for 4 years. At some point, when a school has 28 losing seasons in a row, or averages about 1.5 wins per year in that time, they ought to be able to drop down a class, because they are YEARS from being competitive at 4A. They actually have their playoff banner displayed proudly, after making the playoffs with 1 win in 2015. It's sad and I feel bad for the kids. They just get physically whipped every Friday.

Reactions: srams21
Being from CR, I do know that Xavier has capped their enrollment to ensure that they will always be 3A. They know right where the cutoff is for 4A/3A and make sure they are always right below it. Then they play a 4A schedule for the entire season and then dip down and play teams like DeWitt Central in the playoffs. Again, how is that fun as a competitor? Wouldn't you want to compete against the big dogs to find out how good you are?
One would think...but these schools don't. I had heard that numerous times about Xavier.

Some of the toughest kids you'll find are the North or West kids who play football for 4 years. At some point, when a school has 28 losing seasons in a row, or averages about 1.5 wins per year in that time, they ought to be able to drop down a class, because they are YEARS from being competitive at 4A. They actually have their playoff banner displayed proudly, after making the playoffs with 1 win in 2015. It's sad and I feel bad for the kids. They just get physically whipped every Friday.
Yea. It is sad.

Central has at least had flashes of success. It does amaze me that West with a larger enrollment, isn't able to put together some 5-4 type seasons more often. They should be getting the more solid middle class kids from the west and NW end of the city, right?

Yea. It is sad.

Central has at least had flashes of success. It does amaze me that West with a larger enrollment, isn't able to put together some 5-4 type seasons more often. They should be getting the more solid middle class kids from the west and NW end of the city, right?
West isn't loaded with athletes as far as the guys are concerned. I know coaches would love to get some of the basketball players out for football to play some skill positions for them, but it doesn't happen. North gets screwed because it has only one main feeder school and a small part of another. Then the kids in northeast Davenport go to Bettendorf or PV. I have heard 2 parents in the last week tell me they live out there, in Davenport, but have their kids go to Bettendorf. I do think, and its going to take awhile for football, North will have a chance with several of their athletic teams. If they can continue to have small successes they will be able to build on those. Good feeder programs going right now, but can't lose the kids to the surrounding schools, because that still happens way too much. North Scott has been taking more and more Davenport kids in recent years.

Absolutely they have, in multiple sports, especially football. Multiple west and city kids have moved to Regina in recent years.
As for baseball, I know of 2 starters that moved to Regina recently just off the top of my head, one from solon, one from west.

Good, name them. "Absolutely" should be easy to do.

When I was in school, we would split in basketball and baseball. Yea, football and track they would kill us but that's where their huge school enrollment was a factor. Valley also has a successful football program where Mason City has only won the championship once, when Barry Alvarez was the coach. Success breeds success in athletics.
It should be noted that I played in between the Dean Oliver years and the Jeff Horner years.

Good, name them. "Absolutely" should be easy to do.

One family came as freshman I believe. The other last year. They were not 'recruited'. Kids move for many reasons (academics, better opportunities, etc).
Again, it goes both ways. Logan Cook went from Regina to West a couple years ago and just signed with the Hawks. She would have been the difference as the Regina girls basketball team came up just short of the Championship this year.
Nobody talks about the kids who are 'recruited' away from private schools.

One family came as freshman I believe. The other last year. They were not 'recruited'. Kids move for many reasons (academics, better opportunities, etc).
Again, it goes both ways. Logan Cook went from Regina to West a couple years ago and just signed with the Hawks. She would have been the difference as the Regina girls basketball team came up just short of the Championship this year.
I kind of feel there is a difference between families pushing their kids to greener pastures and coaches actively recruiting teens to a certain high schools.

Did these IC West and IC City kids transfer to Regina during HS? I know of a handful but weren't really football players. They were in the West district and transferred after 6th grade to Regina. No recruiting was just the plan all along. Regina is a losing a couple athletes back to Liberty. Football at IC West and City seems to be headed in a downward spiral despite last years finals appearance. Look at the youth leagues and you see less and less IC West, IC City teams be it the tackle leagues or flag football.

Of course the troll who does nothing but argue for the sake of arguing can't understand someone not wanting to post high school kids names.

Matt,

He isn't even a good troll. He's proved that time and again by trying to take unarguable positions and thinks he has won the argument when people won't reply.

The funny part is he gives himself way more credit than he deserves and doesn't realize that many people's silence is so he doesn't get discouraged and stops coming back to make a fool of himself.

Of course the troll who does nothing but argue for the sake of arguing can't understand someone not wanting to post high school kids names.

Are you serious? You are the one complaining about those high school kids directly, basically asserting that they are mercenaries for hire and somehow devastated a prior team.

But let me just pretend that you don't post about high school kids regularly in regards to recruiting. You know, the very thing Rivals was created for.

Surely it isn't the fact that you are full of shit and can't back up your bitching.

Matt,

He isn't even a good troll. He's proved that time and again by trying to take unarguable positions and thinks he has won the argument when people won't reply.

The funny part is he gives himself way more credit than he deserves and doesn't realize that many people's silence is so he doesn't get discouraged and stops coming back to make a fool of himself.
Whether or not private schools are recruiting and hurting Iowa High School competitions is an UNARGUABLE position?

What a joke.

Bingo.

Whether or not private schools are recruiting and hurting Iowa High School competitions is an UNARGUABLE position?

What a joke.

I think it's hurt more at certain levels than others. This isn't a black and white issue. It also isn't a made up issue or else there wouldn't be several other states that have multipliers for private schools.

For example, 4A schools dropping down to 3A (again, looking at you Assumption, Xavier, Heelan, Wahlert) is something that I just don't agree with at all.

Like you and others pointed out, kids move to different schools all the time for many reasons. I could see where a really good athlete living in DM would want to enroll at Valley (public) or Dowling (private) because they have better sports teams and resources. I get it.

However, it is the active recruiting that was prevalent at least a few years ago from certain private schools that then drop down a class that really bothers me. To be fair, it is possible that public schools might do it too. I haven't heard about it or experienced it in Iowa yet.

I don't completely disagree with your point and I get where you are coming from at times.

I've already said relegation would be fun.

There was a post demanding that all private schools compete 4A. That is why there is an argument, because of "black and white" nonsense.

I specifically asked for how that multiplier would work for a school they specifically brought up, still no answer. That's because this is a bitching thread for them.

**One kid off the roster...wow. I watched the championship game online...lots of last names the same as my classmates back in the late 80's early 90's...OMG it's their kids! Or nephews!

** It's less than 15 miles from AHS to Illinois...maybe it's closer than Alleman for that family? Maybe they work in Davenport? Got kicked out of Alleman? I had regular, non-athlete classmates from Illinois...

**Harlan was making its 7th consecutive trip to the state tournament...Harlan has always been a power at that level, I remember hating them as a kid when I lived in Denison back in the 70's...

**Assumption just won its 10th summer baseball title (1 4A, 7 3A, 2 2A) It's considered a "blue blood" school when it comes to baseball in the QCA...blue bloods attract talent...

**We voted, back in 1987 to stay 4A in football and let the state place us in the "correct" level for the other sports...it was a struggle to become competitive...my senior year, our football play-off game at Bettendorf I counted 115 players in uniform for the Bulldogs, that's 10 more than I had total kids in my class (105)

**Interesting map, theIowaHawkI always wondered how my nephew and nieces ended up at DeWitt Central instead of Delwood/Maquoketa, that little "out cut" up Hwy 61 did it
You forgot to add that Xavier girls have won 9 of the last 10 2A girls soccer championships (or something very close to that).

Today's world is about "fairness, equality, and binary genders." Changing the rules is the only way to achieve it.

I've already said relegation would be fun.

There was a post demanding that all private schools compete 4A. That is why there is an argument, because of "black and white" nonsense.

I specifically asked for how that multiplier would work for a school they specifically brought up, still no answer. That's because this is a bitching thread for them.

I never said nor do I support all private schools competing at the 4A level. That is nonsense. I would disagree with that completely.

As for how to fix the issue, that is a tough call. I am not a high school sports administrator so I haven't looked into the multiplier system that other states use to analyze how it might specifically work in Iowa.

However, I would imagine it would be feasible to do an analysis of other states and then adjust that to fit Iowa. Perhaps I am wrong and there is no possible way to do it.

I believe there are many 3A schools that are 3A only in enrollment, but 4A in everything else (socioeconomic, resources, abilities, not having defined districts, etc...). I would imagine if certain high schools were truly interested in being the best they would have chosen to stay 4A and compete against Dowling, Valley, IC West, Bettendorf, and other top notch schools. Maybe not.

On the flip side, I believe there are many schools that are 4A in enrollment but perhaps 3A in everything else. Schools like Waterloo East, Davenport North & West come to mind. That is a harder problem to fix. Measuring available resources isn't always a realistic endeavor.

Reactions: Tom Paris
I never said nor do I support all private schools competing at the 4A level. That is nonsense. I would disagree with that completely.

As for how to fix the issue, that is a tough call. I am not a high school sports administrator so I haven't looked into the multiplier system that other states use to analyze how it might specifically work in Iowa.

However, I would imagine it would be feasible to do an analysis of other states and then adjust that to fit Iowa. Perhaps I am wrong and there is no possible way to do it.

I believe there are many 3A schools that are 3A only in enrollment, but 4A in everything else (socioeconomic, resources, abilities, not having defined districts, etc...). I would imagine if certain high schools were truly interested in being the best they would have chosen to stay 4A and compete against Dowling, Valley, IC West, Bettendorf, and other top notch schools. Maybe not.

On the flip side, I believe there are many schools that are 4A in enrollment but perhaps 3A in everything else. Schools like Waterloo East, Davenport North & West come to mind. That is a harder problem to fix. Measuring available resources isn't always a realistic endeavor.
Public schools have set boundaries (district lines), private schools do not.
Public schools must accept any and all that are within their district lines, regardless of needs (F&R Lunch, special needs, etc). Privates do not.
Public schools can have open enrollment, but it must be accepted by both schools to allow a student to switch - also note a school must adhere to state laws\guidelines on student body size (to include available classroom\teacher ratio, etc). Private schools do not have to approve of a student enrolling at their school from another school - they are able to decide if they want\need that student in their system (this is a big positive for private schools as they are able to weed out the bad eggs that public schools must accept).

Again - it comes down to "fairness" in today's world - if team A is just beating you it's not about team b getting better it's about how to make it "fair".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT