ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa high school football playoffs - 5A predictions

Tenacious E

HR Legend
Dec 4, 2001
Final night of the regular season. Here are my predictions of how the final 16 will shake out:
  1. Southeast Polk
  2. Cedar Rapids, Kennedy
  3. Valley, West Des Moines
  4. Ankeny
  5. Urbandale
  6. Pleasant Valley
  7. Linn-Mar, Marion
  8. Prairie, Cedar Rapids
  9. Iowa City, City
  10. Dowling Catholic, W.D.M.
  11. Cedar Falls
  12. Dubuque, Senior
  13. Bettendorf
  14. Waukee Northwest
  15. Ankeny Centennial
  16. Des Moines, Roosevelt
What say you?

Will Roosevelt really make the playoffs? I don’t think that happens much.
They have been hammered by the top teams they played such as Urbandale and Ankeny (and will get destroyed by Valley tonight), but in turn they have hammered crappy schools like Des Moines North, Ottumwa, and Des Moines East, and they beat a very down Waukee team, which was historic (first DSM public school team to beat a suburb and a bazillion games). The way the math works out on the RPI formula, I think they JUST get in ahead of Ames, Lincoln, and Johnston, although it could be Ames in the last spot. Whoever it is will be destroyed week one of the playoffs by SEP. I think whichever lower seed draws Kennedy could make some noise in the first round, because I don't think they are nearly as good as their win/loss totals rung up on poor competition.

Reactions: dgordo
5A will be great to watch. There is not a dominant team this year. Any of the top 10 above could win it. Yes, even a 3 loss Dowling could win this tournament.

5A will be great to watch. There is not a dominant team this year. Any of the top 10 above could win it. Yes, even a 3 loss Dowling could win this tournament.
Totally agree, and with the right draw, a lower seed like Northwest or Centennial could make a deep run. They both have had ridiculous schedules with some close wins/losses against top teams. But at the end of the day, I think SEP will have too much firepower when it counts.

Reactions: Bearhawk0505
I don't follow hs football much but how is Southeast Polk not dominant? Two 5 star recruits and I'm sure lots of other really good players as well.

I don't follow hs football much but how is Southeast Polk not dominant? Two 5 star recruits and I'm sure lots of other really good players as well.
I believe they have or have had several sophomores starting on the OL, and their top running back (Drake Relays 100M champion) has been hurt.

Reactions: Johnchris94
I suspect the champion will emerge from the DSM metro teams that make it. I don't think the eastern Iowa teams have enough quality and depth of talent to make it all the way to the top of the heap this year. Kennedy, Prairie, PV and City High are all good teams but all are flawed as well.

I suspect the champion will emerge from the DSM metro teams that make it. I don't think the eastern Iowa teams have enough quality and depth of talent to make it all the way to the top of the heap this year. Kennedy, Prairie, PV and City High are all good teams but all are flawed as well.
If I had to guess it will be SEP and Dowling in one half the semifinals bracket, and Ankeny and Valley in the other, with SEP winning it all.

If Ames beats Johnston, I think they’ll jump Roosevelt.

Despite some hiccups earlier, I think SEP takes it all.

If Ames beats Johnston, I think they’ll jump Roosevelt.

Despite some hiccups earlier, I think SEP takes it all.
Yes, my OP was predicated upon Johnston beating Ames. I agree if Ames beats Johnston they are in. Maybe a 14 seed.

Didn’t Prairie almost beat SEP and probably should have?

They are even worse than I thought. They gave up 79 to CR Washington, 68 to City High, 65 to Linn-Mar, 54 to Ottumwa, 69 to Waterloo West, and 68 to Marshalltown. Yikes. SEP won't play their starters past the first quarter and they will probably be up 28 by then, but then I expect their JV team to put another 50 on the board. So I'm going with 7-78.

Talk about parity

Class 2A First Round Playoff Pairings​

• Garner-Hayfield-Ventura (2-6) at West Lyon (6-2)
  • Sheldon (3-5) at Southeast Valley (7-1)
  • Spirit Lake (6-2) at Osage (5-3)
  • West Liberty (3-5) at Waukon (7-1)
  • Union (3-5) at Monticello (6-2)
  • Clarke (5-3) at Williamsburg (5-3)
  • Centerville (4-4) at West Marshall (7-1)
  • Roland-Story (3-5) at Greene County (7-1)
  • Estherville Lincoln Central (5-3) at Central Lyon/George-Little Rock (5-3)
  • Red Oak (3-5) at OABCIG (7-1)
  • Unity Christian (5-3) at Clear Lake (5-3)
  • New Hampton (5-3) at North Fayette Valley (7-1)
  • Dubuque Wahlert (3-5) at Camanche (5-3)
  • Northeast (4-4) at Mid-Prairie (5-3)
  • Davis County (4-4) at Iowa Falls-Alden (5-3)
  • PCM (4-4) at Clarinda (4-4)

Reactions: Tenacious E
They are even worse than I thought. They gave up 79 to CR Washington, 68 to City High, 65 to Linn-Mar, 54 to Ottumwa, 69 to Waterloo West, and 68 to Marshalltown. Yikes. SEP won't play their starters past the first quarter and they will probably be up 28 by then, but then I expect their JV team to put another 50 on the board. So I'm going with 7-78.

Covering the 69!

Reactions: Tenacious E
Didn’t Prairie almost beat SEP and probably should have?
They did but Nwankpa hardly played that game (he did block the go ahead FG attempt), but Prairie has been a little inconsistent much like City, who did beat Dowling, but I suspect if there were rematches of these two games Prairie and City likely lose both. I hope I'm wrong on that.

Reactions: bdg8
Talk about parity

That's because both 1A and 3A beat up on weak Class 2A during the non District portion of the season.
There are 6 undefeated 1A teams, no undefeated 2A teams and 4 undefeated 3A teams.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
Go J-Hawks! The U has this folks!
I don't see them having enough offense to win it all. I hope that I'm wrong but I see that as being the major weakness (not mentioning the proclivity for illegal motion penalties and snapping the ball over the QB's head at least twice a game).

Final night of the regular season. Here are my predictions of how the final 16 will shake out:
  1. Southeast Polk
  2. Cedar Rapids, Kennedy
  3. Valley, West Des Moines
  4. Ankeny
  5. Urbandale
  6. Pleasant Valley
  7. Linn-Mar, Marion
  8. Prairie, Cedar Rapids
  9. Iowa City, City
  10. Dowling Catholic, W.D.M.
  11. Cedar Falls
  12. Dubuque, Senior
  13. Bettendorf
  14. Waukee Northwest
  15. Ankeny Centennial
  16. Des Moines, Roosevelt
What say you?
I'm thinking fart noises.....

Talk about parity

How in the hell did so many shitty teams make the playoffs? Is that normal?

Reactions: Kozisek
They did but Nwankpa hardly played that game (he did block the go ahead FG attempt), but Prairie has been a little inconsistent much like City, who did beat Dowling, but I suspect if there were rematches of these two games Prairie and City likely lose both. I hope I'm wrong on that.
Not true, he played the entire game, much of it on both sides of the ball. He may not have been 100% but he didn't miss a snap on defense for sure.

How in the hell did so many shitty teams make the playoffs? Is that normal?
32 teams per class in 8-man through 2A. Coaches largely requested it. The first round will have/did have a ton of blowouts as expected. Saw a handful of upsets but far and few between.

Reactions: win4jj
32 teams per class in 8-man through 2A. Coaches largely requested it. The first round will have/did have a ton of blowouts as expected. Saw a handful of upsets but far and few between.
From an A school, parent of former and future HS players, I like the current format. Finish in the top half of your division, you are in. Coaches and kids want to make the playoffs.

Reactions: bojihawk44
Watched Prairie beat Linn Mar last night. Prairie jumped out early, ground and pounding Linn Mar. Then they relaxed a bit with a 22-0 lead, and allowed a quick TD late 1st half, then an opening drive quick TD 2nd half, then an onside kick recovered drive for a 3rd straight TD to make it 22-20 CRP.

Then CRP got their act together and boa constrictored LM to win 36-20.

That offense Prairie runs I bet gives opponents fits. Very strange to not see WR's in most their sets, snaps to multiple backs, etc. Lots of misdirection, counters, etc. Looks right out of the 1940's.

3 pt loss to Cedar Falls, 1 pt loss to SEP. Beat Pleasant Valley, Bettendorf, Linn Mar. Gonna be a tough out. Should wind up playing Kennedy or IC High at some point I'd think.

Will Roosevelt really make the playoffs? I don’t think that happens much.
Well, I was wrong. I didn’t see johnston jumping up that far with a win over Ames. Johnston is 16 and Roosevelt with the near miss at 17.

Rest of playoffs posted, does the winner of each pod make it to Dome?

CLASS 4A
POD #1
Decorah (6-3) at North Scott, Eldridge (9-0)
Clear Creek-Amana (6-3) at Winterset (7-2)
POD #2
Burlington (7-2) at Xavier, Cedar Rapids (8-1) Norwalk (6-3) at Webster City (7-2)
POD #3
Cedar Rapids, Washington (5-4) at Waverly-Shell Rock (8-1) Fort Dodge (7-2) at Bondurant-Farrar (8-1)
POD #4
Carlisle (5-4) at Indianola (8-1)
Spencer (7-2) at Lewis Central (7-2)

CLASS 4A
POD #1
POD #2
Burlington (7-2) at Xavier, Cedar Rapids (8-1) Norwalk (6-3) at Webster City (7-2)
POD #3
Cedar Rapids, Washington (5-4) at Waverly-Shell Rock (8-1) Fort Dodge (7-2) at Bondurant-Farrar (8-1)
POD #4
Yes

CLASS 4A
POD #1
POD #2
POD #3
POD #4
Yes, to the semi finals. Weird that centennial was 15 but is playing 3 valley instead of Kennedy. I would prefer Kennedy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT