ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa high-school QB

iowahaha1

All-Conference
Apr 15, 2015
Ok. I have a question and an observation, and it is geared mostly for the people that grew up in Iowa.

When playing Iowa high-school football, who was your quarter-back.? I am guessing most of you would say it would have been one of your top 3 athletes in your class. Take for example Cooper Dejean ( just using this as an example). The other stud athletes in Iowa high-school football usually play running back if your from a small town.

Let's look at the linemen. If you have a player that is 6'5, he probably isn't running in the 100 yard dash and is in the weight events in track such as the shot- put and discuss throw. If this same person played football, more then likely he would be beefed up in the weight room or good old farm work, and moved to both offensive and defensive tackles.
The Hawkeyes seem to go after slow 6'5 QB's and let them start for 7ish years (Stanley and Petras are both listed at 6'5). I do think Stanley was much better then Petras, but it was a slow progression and his weight room records didn't make him that much faster.

I think it's time to get an athlete back behind center. Get a kid that can drop back, scan the field and let it rip, but not afraid to run if he has to. I want a qb that enjoys to run if things break down, but smart enough to slide to stay healthy.

Anyhow, there are a lot of good athletes out there. I don't think we always need a statue.

for some reason Iowa loves the slow & big armed QBs. They definitely focus on arm strength and accuracy (which can be debated) over anything related to their athletic ability or running speed.

I totally agree with the OP. BUT it’s not gonna happen as long as Kirk is still here. Way too much risk having a QB that is a playmaker and can improvise. Those traits lead to turnovers and injuries. We are not exactly getting quality Big 10 QB’s anymore, and it will not get any better with this atrocious offense we have. Kirk wants QB who is conservative, doesn’t turn the ball over, can can throw 10-20 yards, and manage the game. Sadly, we apparently don’t even have a recruit with those attributes.

Good story, are QB was Jimmy Fraser. Committed to Iowa under Bob Commings, starting RB. Hayden comes in, the starting safety moves to QB Phil Suess, Jimmy moves to safety.
And everything came up 🌹

QB my junior year was the best in the state. We also had one of the best programs and coaches in the state.

Good memories.

ADVERTISEMENT