ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa High School Sports?

lookleft goright

HR All-American
Jan 21, 2012
Is there any talk of shutting down or postponing Iowa High School sports? Here in Illinois they are postponing football. I have heard of many Illinois kids moving to Iowa to get film for there senior year. We will have to wait and se if that actually happens. I am afraid that postpone, just means cancel at a later date. What is the outlook in Iowa for High School sports?

The Iowa High School baseball and softball seasons were relatively successful. 96% of all teams were allowed to finish their seasons. Teams had protocols that made players and coaches answer medical questions and temperature checks prior to games and practices. It took a lot of work, especially from administrators and athletic trainers, but they made it work.
Fall sports are a go. They did reduce the fall football schedules from 9 games to 7. Adjusted the playoffs. Asking teams not to travel a bunch for their road games. Volleyball is also moving forward. They are putting a lot of protocols in place. Our high school football players are wearing facial coverings during practices. Trying to social distance. Coaches changing practice plans so that drills are less than 15 minutes.

They also changed the protocol when a player tests positive or is traced to a positive. For baseball and softball the whole team was done for 2 weeks. With football (not sure about volleyball) only that player and those who can be contact traced for an extended period are done for 2 weeks. I assume there will be more with it being a contact sport, but also due to the kids being back in school.

Reactions: lookleft goright
Is there any talk of shutting down or postponing Iowa High School sports? Here in Illinois they are postponing football. I have heard of many Illinois kids moving to Iowa to get film for there senior year. We will have to wait and se if that actually happens. I am afraid that postpone, just means cancel at a later date. What is the outlook in Iowa for High School sports?
I've heard rumors that a good number of Illinois kids will be open enrolling in Iowa this season. Football especially maybe a few wrestlers as well. Our governor stuck to her guns during baseball and softball and gave the 2020 seniors a proper farewell to their athletic careers. Hopefully fall sports will happen.

I've heard rumors that a good number of Illinois kids will be open enrolling in Iowa this season. Football especially maybe a few wrestlers as well. Our governor stuck to her guns during baseball and softball and gave the 2020 seniors a proper farewell to their athletic careers. Hopefully fall sports will happen.
Yes, several high profile football recruits have transferred into schools around the Des Moines area (Dowling, Valley, Ankeny). Have not heard of any athletes from other sports.
You are correct, the Boys and Girls association successfully held the baseball and softball season. I have two boys playing high school football, so hoping that this fall season goes off without a hitch too!

Yes, several high profile football recruits have transferred into schools around the Des Moines area (Dowling, Valley, Ankeny). Have not heard of any athletes from other sports.
You are correct, the Boys and Girls association successfully held the baseball and softball season. I have two boys playing high school football, so hoping that this fall season goes off without a hitch too!
Good luck to your boys!

Reactions: SPGroth
Waukee had a football player/ heavyweight wrestler from Shakopee move in a few months ago. And 2 more kids (wrestlers) from Dallas Center/ Grimes also moved in. Rumor has it that a 4th wrestler (from Chicagoland) is transferring in as well. They'd fill the 138, 152, 170, and heavyweight spots.

There have been a small number of reports of parochial school athletes transferring from Illinois/Chicago area schools to Iowa high schools, specifically to participate in interscholastic athletics. Possibly transferring to border/river city schools. Transferring schools in Illinois is more opaque in private schools than public schools. Chicanery here?

There have been a small number of reports of parochial school athletes transferring from Illinois/Chicago area schools to Iowa high schools, specifically to participate in interscholastic athletics. Possibly transferring to border/river city schools. Transferring schools in Illinois is more opaque in private schools than public schools. Chicanery here?
I've heard Davenport Assumption has received more than a small number of of transfer requests. Im guessing a school like Bettendorf will also benefit from a few Illinois transfers. Itll be interesting to see if any stud wrestlers make their way to Iowa.

Good luck to your boys!
Thank you. Of course, living in Cedar Rapids, our boys had their first week of high school football practice wiped out by the Derecho storm. Good news is that they will be allowed to start practice today. Just giving them enough days to play their game in Week #1 as scheduled.

The Iowa High School baseball and softball seasons were relatively successful. 96% of all teams were allowed to finish their seasons. Teams had protocols that made players and coaches answer medical questions and temperature checks prior to games and practices. It took a lot of work, especially from administrators and athletic trainers, but they made it work.
Fall sports are a go. They did reduce the fall football schedules from 9 games to 7. Adjusted the playoffs. Asking teams not to travel a bunch for their road games. Volleyball is also moving forward. They are putting a lot of protocols in place. Our high school football players are wearing facial coverings during practices. Trying to social distance. Coaches changing practice plans so that drills are less than 15 minutes.
Just if other states' posters don't know, HS baseball and softball are played in the summer in Iowa.
Regularly, not just this year.

Last edited:

This article doesn’t give many details around each situation, but kinda interesting that the same article mentions one guy being ruled ineligible and another being ruled eligible...

This article doesn’t give many details around each situation, but kinda interesting that the same article mentions one guy being ruled ineligible and another being ruled eligible...

Its kind of stupid IMO...the Iowa commit moved up here from Kansas with his Mom. They have an apartment. He has two brothers back in Kansas who are being cared for by their uncle...Mom even gave guardianship to him. The reason that Keating (of the IHSAA) gave to the Mom was that the whole family had to move up there.

I think both Dowling and Valley both have Covid transfers. Maybe a few others. We all know they came here to play ball. But IAW Bruce, he stated that move is going to be permanent once things normalize...his Mom wants the family up here during his time as a Hawk.

Its kind of stupid IMO...the Iowa commit moved up here from Kansas with his Mom. They have an apartment. He has two brothers back in Kansas who are being cared for by their uncle...Mom even gave guardianship to him. The reason that Keating (of the IHSAA) gave to the Mom was that the whole family had to move up there.

I think both Dowling and Valley both have Covid transfers. Maybe a few others. We all know they came here to play ball. But IAW Bruce, he stated that move is going to be permanent once things normalize...his Mom wants the family up here during his time as a Hawk.

So apparently this kid’s lawyer is posting on the HR football forum. Interesting reading...

Reactions: IAChief32
In my state we've gone to a four different colored coated system. Over 10 people infected per 100,000 people then you can practice but not play. That's the orange. If red which is 20/100,000 then you can't do shit. Green you can play with only immediate household members there and yellow only your parents and coaches wives. No brothers or sisters of the players nothing.
But in this little state I don't know how they didn't put into consideration the couple college town which of course made the numbers go way up. Now those high schools are ****ed. It's ridiculous. Plus they're changing the rules on the fly. It's ridiculous.

CurtisLoew40; Wow, what state is that? It sure seems like a four different color coated system would be ludicrous, impossibly difficult. However, here in Illinois we have a four class coded system and it seems to be working pretty good. So far, so good.

That means absolutely nothing to me. What does it mean to you? All I get is a map with numbers on it. Am I missing something? Is there link to something else?

Reactions: bammhawk1
ADVERTISEMENT