May 2, 2016
St Donatus, IA
My projections have this, as we look, right now:

PG- Jordan B
SG - Isaiah M
3- St Nicholas
4- Dubuque Wahlert
5- Tyler Cook

Deep Bench: Ahmad Wagner, Dom Uhl, R Kreiner, Christian W, Luke Garza, Jack Nunge

Who'd I forget ??

GO HAWKS :)

My projections have this, as we look, right now:

PG- Jordan B
SG - Isaiah M
3- St Nicholas
4- Dubuque Wahlert
5- Tyler Cook

Deep Bench: Ahmad Wagner, Dom Uhl, R Kreiner, Christian W, Luke Garza, Jack Nunge

Who'd I forget ??

November, that might be pretty close. Maybe Baer off the bench, not because he is not a top 5 but just because its worked. Maybe Wagner or Uhl gets first crack at starting. Fran probably plays 11-12 guys in November, then it will be really interesting to see who plays their way into/out of a rotation that ideally is 9-10 players at most for the conference season.

Reactions: unIowa
Kreiner
Cook
Moss
Bohannon
... Ellingson

There will be some changes. Starts out big and fairly experienced.

Keep the Baer in his cage and unleash him when the other side shows its first sign of foul trouble or fatigue. Wagner and Baer are a pretty good pair of pressing forwards as well.

Cook at the 4. Garza or Kriener at the 5
We may or may not start the year with Cook at the 4. But by the B1G season, Garza or Kriener will start at the 5- my guess is Garza. Pemsl with 20ish mins. Wagner good mins but decrease as season goes on- not because he's not good. Baer at 3 with some mins to Nunge. Guards: Moss and JB. Wildcard on guard depth is Dailey- otherwise BE and CW.

I am saying Luka starts. Fran needs a big man to clog the middle.

Starters:
Bohannon
Moss
Baer
Cook
Garza

First off the Bench:
Pemsl
Dailey
Uhl
Wagner

Others:
Kreiner
Nunge
Brady
Williams

Reactions: ParkerHawk
Great question, like last year it will be hard for Fran to manage minutes. Playing fast and maybe playing slower with Garza and Pemsl. I look for Dom to have a nice Sr. campaign driving the lane and creating. Moss has gotta play much more consistently to help the loss of Pete and take the ball handling pressure off of JBo. Also will be interesting to see how much the D can improve. I'll go with:

JBo
Moss
Wagner
Cook
Pemsl

A crazy though would be to start Williams for Pemsl to run and gun from the tip. Gonna have to balance O and D all year. Hopefully Iowa can play more man next year.

One of Nunge or Garza should redshirt.

Honestly I wish Kreiner would of taken a red shirt last season.

Note: I don't like the RS for guards typically (outside of injury) but w bigs it makes sense to me...especially w how loaded the team is w bigs someone should save themselves a year of eligibility.

I am saying Luka starts. Fran needs a big man to clog the middle.
Yes. We will get better on D with experience. But we need a real big guy back there to make quick guards think an extra half second. It will make our guards seem like they've gotten faster. That's why I think Luka starts.

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
I'll take a guess .... for May 3rd.

Bohannon
Moss
Nunge
Cook
Pemsl

Baer (first..Back-Back B1G 6th Man of the Year) 1st off for Nunge
Garza 1st off for Cook/Pemsl

1st unit:

Bohannon - Outside threat, distributes
Moss - Outside threat, drives, defends the other team's best guard
Wagner - Drives, rebounds, defends
Cook - Owns the paint on offense, better defender next year, better rebounds
Garza - Screens, defends, rebounds, hits 10-15 footers, frees the lane for Cook by stepping out taking a big defender away from the rim.

2nd Unit:

Williams - Drives, distributes, occasionally posts smaller guards, rebounds
Ellingson - Outside shot
Baer - Outside shot, drives, distributes, defends, rebounds
Pemsl - Almost impossible to defend one on one in the paint, excellent passer to the three line, rebounds
Nunge - Outside shot, rebounds, defends. Takes his man to the three line, leaving Pemsl free. If his man doesn't follow, Pemsl kicks it out.

Situational subs:

Kreiner: Replaces any 4/5 when injured or in foul trouble
Uhl: Replaces Wagner or Baer a few minutes per game, ball handling could take pressure off of Williams, if needed.
Dailey: Replaces any 2 or 3 when ineffective, injured or in foul trouble, maybe an upgrade on defense over Ellingson, when needed.

Both units have 2 or 3 legitimate outside threats, a 4 that's hard to stop without a double team, and new next year....a 5 who demands to be followed away from the rim. Each unit also has finishers off of the drive. If defense improves from the sophomores, this team will be very hard to game plan against and beat.

I think early on the starting lineup will change as often as a chameleon changes colors at an art exhibit. Especially the front court. Fran's under even greater pressure (on himself) this year to find his starting nine or ten, and in what order. Some talented kids will be at the bottom of the lineup.

JBO/CW
Moss/Ellingson
Daily/Uhl/Baer/CW
Cook/Pemsyl/Wagner
Garza/Kriener/Wagner

Other than JBO, I think either of the other names could and will start games next season. Baer will see a lot of minutes, hopefully as 6th man. Nunge is the wildcard, will he redshirt or be good enough to take minutes right away. Connor not playing really hurts this years team, probably a good thing for Hawk teams down the road.

1st unit:

Bohannon - Outside threat, distributes
Moss - Outside threat, drives, defends the other team's best guard
Wagner - Drives, rebounds, defends
Cook - Owns the paint on offense, better defender next year, better rebounds
Garza - Screens, defends, rebounds, hits 10-15 footers, frees the lane for Cook by stepping out taking a big defender away from the rim.

2nd Unit:

Williams - Drives, distributes, occasionally posts smaller guards, rebounds
Ellingson - Outside shot
Baer - Outside shot, drives, distributes, defends, rebounds
Pemsl - Almost impossible to defend one on one in the paint, excellent passer to the three line, rebounds
Nunge - Outside shot, rebounds, defends. Takes his man to the three line, leaving Pemsl free. If his man doesn't follow, Pemsl kicks it out.

Situational subs:

Kreiner: Replaces any 4/5 when injured or in foul trouble
Uhl: Replaces Wagner or Baer a few minutes per game, ball handling could take pressure off of Williams, if needed.
Dailey: Replaces any 2 or 3 when ineffective, injured or in foul trouble, maybe an upgrade on defense over Ellingson, when needed.

Both units have 2 or 3 legitimate outside threats, a 4 that's hard to stop without a double team, and new next year....a 5 who demands to be followed away from the rim. Each unit also has finishers off of the drive. If defense improves from the sophomores, this team will be very hard to game plan against and beat.

I see that first unit having bad spacing on offense and likely struggling on defense.

Not a big fan of Kriener - If he is Starting - we're in trouble

Ryan Kreiner is a very Smart, dependable young BIG who surprised a lot of
us Hawkeye Hoopster by gaining a ton of playing time as a true Frosh.

My starting lineup of JayBo, IMoss, BAER, Pemsl and Cook will be the
deal.

GO HAWKS !! and GO Ryan K:)

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
JoBo
Moss
Cook
Pemsl
Garza

6 man: Baer
I'm with Scout..........he's going to be a very good one.
But, already too much experience existing for him to start, this year
GO HAWKS
I'm really looking forward to how Kriener develops. He started to come along as the season progressed. He blew up late in the recruiting process coming out of high school, similar to Garza, IIRC. I know there were some really good P5 programs sniffing around him before he committed to Iowa.

For those leaving Baer out as a starter next year, consider that he led the team in rebounds, steals, and blocks. He is also 2nd, behind only JB, among returners in assists.
http://m.espn.com/ncb/teamstats?teamId=2294
The luxury of having him come off the bench is over, especially if you want better D in the starting lineup.

Last edited:
Reactions: IowaNiceHawk
So many good points and ideas already in this thread. Me, I've no clue who will start, don't really care as it'll be who plays the MOST during the game and who is in at the end that matters.

These are things I think.

Certain:

Bohannon is our point guard.
Cook starts, either at power forward, or as a part of two power forwards with no post, like last year.

Almost Certain:

Moss is too good to expect someone to take his spot as starting shooting guard.
We will be deep and the cutoff between many minutes and deep backup is going to be defense.
Pemsl and Baer, whether they start or not, are going to get significant minutes.

Fairly confident:

Williams is backup point guard.
Ellingson will be backup at shooting guard.
Small forward is wide open, Baer could start or not, but the question will be who else gets minutes there.
Garza and Kreiner will end up being a two headed center at some point in 2017/18.

Possibles:

Although part of the upperclassmen, Wagner and Uhl are going to face huge competition and I suspect their minutes will suffer most.
Daily could surprise and pass Ellingson, or end up at the wing forward, or possibly get time as backup point. A wild card.
The next wildcard is Nunge and I am still uncertain what position he will play.

Selfishly, though loyalty to players who have been around is a great thing and all that, it seems to me the more young guys who pass up Ellingson, Uhl and Wagner for minutes...the better the team will be. But too many battles for playing time for me to have a clue what goes down.

For those leaving Baer out as a starter next year, consider that he led the team in rebounds, steals, and blocks. He is also 2nd, behind only JB, among returners in assists.
http://m.espn.com/ncb/teamstats?teamId=2294
The luxury of having him come off the bench is over, especially if you want better D in the starting lineup.

THIS ^^^^^^^^ CanadaHawk nails it. Pretty unreal Numbers--------
(Hopefully Coach agrees, but Fran did start him sometimes, this year)

Reactions: CanadaHawk
THIS ^^^^^^^^ CanadaHawk nails it. Pretty unreal Numbers--------
(Hopefully Coach agrees, but Fran did start him sometimes, this year)

Last summer, Fran alluded to wishing Baer was stronger- so he could keep him in the game longer, start him. Baer is getting stronger. Others are now able to be sparks off the bench up front: Pemsl, Wagner. Fran has shown a tendency to favor length over some considerations that other coaches might favor. Also he tends to weight shooting over athleticism in his style. If Wagner gets confidence in the outside shot he was developing last summer, he might be seen differently. But as key elements get more experience, we're likely to see lineups that favor length and shooting.

Last edited:
Reactions: ParkerHawk
Being a starter is overrated. What matters much more is minutes played.

Baer is the prime example of this.

I believe he was something like 3rd on the team in minutes, despite other players starting instead.

If I'm going to get 25 minutes a game and be in there at crunch time I'm not really going to care much if another guy starts instead and gets 12 minutes.

I don't care if Baer starts or doesn't start; we've already seen from the numbers that Fran values him and will play him a lot.

There's no one on the roster but Dailey that could take Ellingson's minutes next season. With P McC redshirting whose left? Williams would have to improve significantly to take minutes from Ellingson-particularly the vast differential in shooting.

Reactions: CanadaHawk
There's no one on the roster but Dailey that could take Ellingson's minutes next season. With P McC redshirting whose left? Williams would have to improve significantly to take minutes from Ellingson-particularly the vast differential in shooting.
If Dailey takes mins from Ellingson and CW, then he's made the team. That's my hope for him.

Reactions: hawksense
So many good points and ideas already in this thread. Me, I've no clue who will start, don't really care as it'll be who plays the MOST during the game and who is in at the end that matters.

These are things I think.

Certain:

Bohannon is our point guard.
Cook starts, either at power forward, or as a part of two power forwards with no post, like last year.

Almost Certain:

Moss is too good to expect someone to take his spot as starting shooting guard.
We will be deep and the cutoff between many minutes and deep backup is going to be defense.
Pemsl and Baer, whether they start or not, are going to get significant minutes.

Fairly confident:

Williams is backup point guard.
Ellingson will be backup at shooting guard.
Small forward is wide open, Baer could start or not, but the question will be who else gets minutes there.
Garza and Kreiner will end up being a two headed center at some point in 2017/18.

Possibles:

Although part of the upperclassmen, Wagner and Uhl are going to face huge competition and I suspect their minutes will suffer most.
Daily could surprise and pass Ellingson, or end up at the wing forward, or possibly get time as backup point. A wild card.
The next wildcard is Nunge and I am still uncertain what position he will play.

Selfishly, though loyalty to players who have been around is a great thing and all that, it seems to me the more young guys who pass up Ellingson, Uhl and Wagner for minutes...the better the team will be. But too many battles for playing time for me to have a clue what goes down.
Pretty much agree with this. This stuck out for me: ..."it seems to me the more young guys who pass up Ellingson, Uhl, and Wagner [I would add CW] for minutes... the better the team will be." I like the veterans. They are talented. But the younger guys could take the team to another level... if they're ready. And concerning Garza and Nunge, Fran has said he's going to play them and not RS them. So I guess they'd better be ready.

The off season development of Dailey and Moss, and secondarily Kriener, are the most important, in my professional opinion. And by professional, I mean as a rabid fan of basketball.

The backcourt needs to step up defensively and depth-wise to give this team the rudder it sorely lacks.

Edit: after re-reading this sentence, I thought I misstated with the "sorely lacks" part. It should have read, "the rudder it needs to stabilize the backcourt and lead the team." Their are many parts of the existing backcourt that I truly love. Just needs some fine tuning. I still don't know what I'm talking about.

I'd take a huge jump from CW, as well. Throwing him some love, as I thought he was the best talent when he first arrived. Dailey also impressed. So, as you can see, I know nothing.

Last edited:
Maybe not in November, but as the year goes on Nunge may surprise. By the late season I would think that he may be seeing major minutes. He does not redshirt. Fran does not want a kid of this talent transferring. Fran, in his mind, will know who the most talented nine or ten players are, and they will play. Nunge and Garza will both play a lot, like Cook and Pemsl did this past year. Those are the four best big men and they will not sit. Wagner definely plays, and of course, Baer. Moss and Bohannpon and you have eight. Then it's Ellingson, Williams, Uhl and maybe Kriener. Now we are to twelve. Dailey, I'm not sure about, but we're short on guards. Thirteen. Red-shirted walk-on Till plays at mop-up because McCaffery likes his style. Fourteen. Connor plays in practice. Fifteen, but he doesn't really count. Somebody from the last group of eligible guys will have to step it up to get anything more than spot minutes. Fran will probably play up to 12- 13 a game, but that's not saying the tail-enders will see many minutes.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT