ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa House Republicans introduce their version of Florida ‘Don’t Say Gay’ bill

But why does this need to be taught? Where does this fit in with Math Science and Reading? Schools are not there to promote religion or different lifestyles. They are there to educate kids in Math Science and Reading.
My scenario of reading the class a book could be part of the reading language arts curriculum. The students could compare and contrast the families in the book. They could make text to text and text to self connections. Those are all a part of Core curriculum. Then students could then use the book as inspiration to write about their own families. Many lessons could be taught as an off shoot of this read aloud.

But why does this need to be taught? Where does this fit in with Math Science and Reading? Schools are not there to promote religion or different lifestyles. They are there to educate kids in Math Science and Reading.

What gives you the idea that that is the width and breadth of responsibilities?

Reactions: gohawks50
It has to do with the fact that if Joey's teacher could read the class a book about different kinds of families Timmy could see that even though Joey has 2 dads their families do similar things. Making the subject taboo promotes the idea that there is something wrong with Joey and his family.
Hahaha.... you think Timmy is going to be less of an asshole because Mr. Garrison reads a damn book and then he goes home listening to his mom and dad talk about "fags" all day?

Bullshit.

It's a Trojan horse.

Here is an ugly truth that gets people all bent out of shape, there are alot of people who go into teaching because they want to be around children all day and put their personal struggles on them. Similar to how many addictions counselors have addictions. They are wounded healers.

Thats not what is being discussed in anyway shape or form huey.

That's called harassment, the educators have every resource they had to still address that.

Notice how you have to think of some half ass maybes to attempt to justify this? That law clearly states it is there to stop teachers from talking to children about sexual identity and gender not the fact little Timmy is an asshole.
How do you address bullying if you can't discuss the subject of the bullying?

Hahaha.... you think Timmy is going to be less of an asshole because Mr. Garrison reads a damn book and then he goes home listening to his mom and dad talk about "fags" all day?

Bullshit.

It's a Trojan horse.

Here is an ugly truth that gets people all bent out of shape, there are alot of people who go into teaching because they want to be around children all day and put their personal struggles on them. Similar to how many addictions counselors have addictions. They are wounded healers.
I do think it might help Timmy and unlike you I actually have 34 years of experience working with lower elementary students. Even if Timmy doesn't get the message others will and they will all see themselves in the different kinds of families from single parents to kids being raised by grandparents to foster parents to those with two moms or two dads to those raised in traditional families.

I see all kinds of benefits from a read aloud like I proposed, can you tell me what harm it would cause?

Timmy is going to learn to shut his yapper at school about it. Whether Timmy's parents are bigots, or not.

You talk about the actions actually taking place and don't try to use a third party (gay parents who are not on site) to reason with a 6 year old.
Can you clarify what you mean? As for my point, it is clear. If a 6 year old is being bullied for having two dads, this bill prevents administrators from addressing the root issue of that bullying since it is a sexual topic. It would be like being bullied for being overweight, but your teacher is not able to tell the kids doing the bullying that it is not acceptable to make fun of someone for their weight.

They don’t need to see or learn about drag queens and lady boys in grade schools
I laughed pretty hard at Ms Doubtfire when I was a youngster. Since when is the Republican party wanting to insert more government control.

Those that say they are looking for a problem that isn’t there, don’t understand the other side of the coin. In states, like NY, that don’t have bills like this make it very hard for parents to get information on their children who are struggling with sexual orientation or identity. In NY, teachers are not allowed to tell parents that Jim wants to be called Sally. Or that Sussie wants a cat litter box in the bathroom. These are kids under 18 who can’t do anything without parent consent but we want to let them make life changing decisions without parent knowledge is just crazy. You don’t need to push sexual orientation issues on these kids. In other states these issues are unnecessarily being put in front of kids. Let’s just stick to Math Science and Reading.
Lets just stick to worrying about issues in Iowa. I would much rather have New Yorks current law regarding this.

I would be interested to hear anyone attempt to provide a logical reason as to why a non parent adult needs to be able to talk to 6 year Olds about sexual identity.

You have completely lost the ****ing plot Dems.
Nobody is claim the need to. The question is, this leaves teachers in a potential spot if per say a question comes up in class from something a kid saw on the bus, on TV, on their ipad. My daughter who is in first grade asked about kids who have 2 mommies. I had a quick conversation with her and it went well. I would have been fine if she had asked the same question to her teacher.

Can you clarify what you mean? As for my point, it is clear. If a 6 year old is being bullied for having two dads, this bill prevents administrators from addressing the root issue of that bullying since it is a sexual topic. It would be like being bullied for being overweight, but your teacher is not able to tell the kids doing the bullying that it is not acceptable to make fun of someone for their weight.
It’s not a sexual issue, it is a bullying issue. You always want everything to be identity politics.

So how would you stop the bullying issue?
I would bring the kids in and talk to them about bullying. If the conversation goes in the direction of the two dads then you bring the parents into the office and handle with them involved in the conversation.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
what we are saying is we are not sure this bill distinguishes that difference.
I'm not sure about 315, but whiskey seems to think the bullying could be stopped without addressing the reason for the bullying.

O
How do you tell bullies to knock it off if you're not able to tell them what they need to knock off?
You tell them they can’t say xyz or there are consequences. That’s not teaching them about two dads and boys being girls or whatever. If jimmy is being bullied bc he can’t throw a ball does the principal teach the proper techniques to throw a ball?

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
So how would you stop the bullying issue?
Unfortunately, bullying has gone on forever, if there was a way to stop it, I'm sure it would have been stopped by now. My grandpa who was born in 1902 and went to country school through 8th grade and then started farming was bewildered when knives and guns started to become big and he talked about how they settled everything in the school yard with their metal lunch pails and that was that. Despite schools stressing it, there are stories about bullying almost daily if you look. And of course the kids that are very different will always get the brunt.

Reactions: 315hawkfan
I would bring the kids in and talk to them about bullying. If the conversation goes in the direction of the two dads then you bring the parents into the office and handle with them involved in the conversation.
You give them a general directive to not bully. The bully says, I don't understand. How am I bullying? So where do you go from there if you can't actually talk about the reason? You now have to drag a parent from work because this silly law bars you from being able to say the actual reason?

You give them a general directive to not bully. The bully says, I don't understand. How am I bullying? So where do you go from there if you can't actually talk about the reason? You now have to drag a parent from work because this silly law bars you from being able to say the actual reason?
Give me an example of bullying where the bully doesn’t know they are bullying?

Unfortunately, bullying has gone on forever, if there was a way to stop it, I'm sure it would have been stopped by now. My grandpa who was born in 1902 and went to country school through 8th grade and then started farming was bewildered when knives and guns started to become big and he talked about how they settled everything in the school yard with their metal lunch pails and that was that. Despite schools stressing it, there are stories about bullying almost daily if you look. And of course the kids that are very different will always get the brunt.
I agree bullying has gone on forever, but society now recognizes the harm it can cause and the need to stop it. Schools can be held liable if bullying is not addressed.

When they think they are in the right to tell someone else that being gay is wrong.
Well, what if they are Muslim and they said their religion believes being gay is a sin? Does the principal have a right to tell them their religion is wrong?

How do you address bullying if you can't discuss the subject of the bullying?

Same way you would address shoplifting,..

"You're a thief and stealing shit is against the law, so now you're going have to pay the price for making that mistake,.. What's that?, Do I want to discuss why you felt the need to steal these items,.. No, not particularly."

Well, what if they are Muslim and they said their religion believes being gay is a sin? Does the principal have a right to tell them their religion is wrong?
Not that their religion is wrong, but the principal should reserve the right to tell the religious kid to keep these thoughts to themselves. And if the religious kids asks why, the Principal should be able to explain. Which is why this is such a stupid law.

I'm not sure about 315, but whiskey seems to think the bullying could be stopped without addressing the reason for the bullying.
Is the reason for the bullying the guy having gay dad's or the bigot parents?

Think on that one long and hard.

You are not going to teach a kid to not bully because he understands Gary's dads are gay but mom and dad like to talk about "fag drags".

"You're a thief and stealing shit is against the law, so now you're going have to pay the price for making that mistake,.. What's that?, Do I want to discuss why you felt the need to steal these items,.. No, not particularly."
The first thing the thief will say is what did I steal? The bully is going to ask what did I do wrong? What is the answer for the bully?

Reactions: Huey Grey
Is the reason for the bullying the guy having gay dad's or the bigot parents?

Think on that one long and hard.

You are not going to teach a kid to not bully because he understands Gary's dads are gay but mom and dad like to talk about "fag drags".
It is possible for children to learn the difference between what is okay to say at home and what is not okay at school. Even if Timmy's dad is an jerk, Timmy can learn that repeating what his dad says about gay people at school is not acceptable.

There is no tangible item stolen here, though. All it is is an accusation. You bring a kid in for bullying. The kid denies it. And at that point, you are hamstrung. Administrators can't discuss things related to sexuality. Law seems to imply that the administrator is powerless at this point.

Reactions: Hawkdiver
It is possible for children to learn the difference between what is okay to say at home and what is not okay at school. Even if Timmy's dad is an jerk, Timmy can learn that repeating what his dad says about gay people at school is not acceptable.
Sure he could, just like the little **** that goes to school and starts calling everyone a "****er" gets in trouble. Kid learned the language from the parents.

All of that can happen, without Mr. GARRISON talking to a 6 year old about how his liking of the color pink, rainbows, unicorns and whatever else "could mean he identifies as something else".

The first thing the thief will say is what did I steal? The bully is going to ask what did I do wrong? What is the answer for the bully?

In the theft example the stolen article is going to be obvious,.. In the bullying example the negative impact on the bullied child will also be obvious,.. What did the bullying child do wrong?,.. "You made Johnny cry and that's not only a bad thing to do, it is simply not allowed. Stop doing this or you will no longer be welcome here at school"...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT