ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa HS Football pet peeve....

joelbc1

HR King
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2007
you can’t always get what you want!
I think it is crazy that parochial schools in CR, Davenport and Sioux City are allowed to play in smaller class divisions.
I know the “school size” argument is accepted but.......these schools all recruit their students and they recruit these students from larger metro areas in IOWA.
For example tonight, my alma mater Pella plays at Xavier, CR. Now Pella draws its students and players from about 15k people.......Xavier draws its student body/athletes from about 150k - 200k population. Similar numbers can be drawn when talking Heelan or Assumption and their opponents. It just is not a square deal and puts honest to goodness small programs a\t a huge disadvantage.
The current system is about as fair as having all schools play each other without divisions.

Xavier "conveniently" caps their enrollment to keep themselves in 3A. Outside of the Xavier-folk in CR, they are despised and considered a joke. They proudly claim 100 State Championships (I exaggerate) in all sports, but rational people only give them credit for 1 (4A FB 10 years ago or so). Catholic schools need a 1.5 multiplier. Seems fair. Their 800 hand-picked students (and athletes) are quite different than Pella's (and other 3A schools) 800 students. The sad thing is, they could compete in 4A and do very well.

Xavier "conveniently" caps their enrollment to keep themselves in 3A. Outside of the Xavier-folk in CR, they are despised and considered a joke. They proudly claim 100 State Championships (I exaggerate) in all sports, but rational people only give them credit for 1 (4A FB 10 years ago or so). Catholic schools need a 1.5 multiplier. Seems fair. Their 800 hand-picked students (and athletes) are quite different than Pella's (and other 3A schools) 800 students. The sad thing is, they could compete in 4A and do very well.

100% agreed

It's nowhere near as bad in the big schools as in the small schools. The 1A and 2A private schools have a huge advantage, much more than the Heelans and Xaviers.

Reactions: TailgateTom
I think it is crazy that parochial schools in CR, Davenport and Sioux City are allowed to play in smaller class divisions.
I know the “school size” argument is accepted but.......these schools all recruit their students and they recruit these students from larger metro areas in IOWA.
For example tonight, my alma mater Pella plays at Xavier, CR. Now Pella draws its students and players from about 15k people.......Xavier draws its student body/athletes from about 150k - 200k population. Similar numbers can be drawn when talking Heelan or Assumption and their opponents. It just is not a square deal and puts honest to goodness small programs a\t a huge disadvantage.
The current system is about as fair as having all schools play each other without divisions.

Catholic high schools dominate in many states. Scholarships are the issue imo.

To bad you’re from such a small shithole but the system is fair due to iowas open enrollment.

You posted this prior to your first drink, right? :cool:

Not saying you're wrong. :rolleyes:

Yeah 2A, 3A and 4A can have their multiplier.

But if you're a non Catholic playing for Xavier... you've got to justify that $10,000+ tuition with a State title or two.

In general Catholic Schools provide superior education and in 70’s and 80’s if you were good enough athlete you miraculously qualified for some type of scholarship. Not sure what scholarship situation is these days.

Here comes the yearly rant give it up.

To bad you’re from such a small shithole but the system is fair due to iowas open enrollment.
Nailed it.

That poor little school in Sgt. Bluff that Heelan plays tonight has open enrolled players from all over Sioux City, mainly East HS which used to be a good football school until the players started open enrolling to SBL.

I feel for the true small town schools because they aren't getting open enrollees, but the city suburb schools are getting them.

Reactions: Greenway12
I wish Waterloo Columbus would recruit. Sadly, they do not and it shows.

Don Bosco on the other hand, shady as hell. Ironically they recruit from Columbus. “Come to Don Bosco and win a title and you’re guaranteed a job at the local hog processing plant.”

That's a helluva selling point.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
I don't know if people overly pay attention but look how many state titles Davenport Assumption has over the last 15 years in various sports...going to the playoffs and beating the crap out of little towns. It's a joke. Between girls basketball, soccer, track, softball, and baseball they probably have around 20 titles. Yay for them.

Reactions: ghost80
Meh. As long as Solon loses tonight I don't care. City High is stuck in mediocrity until Dan Sabers is fired. Actually, mediocrity would be a step up after getting humiliated against West High. There is no reason for City to be a 2-7 team.

Meh. As long as Solon loses tonight I don't care. City High is stuck in mediocrity until Dan Sabers is fired. Actually, mediocrity would be a step up after getting humiliated against West High. There is no reason for City to be a 2-7 team.
Never in a million years would I have thought Davenport North could beat City High two years in a row.

I find it crazy that it's even considered plausible that high schools would "recruit" players and the school itself would play ball with reduced or free tuition.

It's high school.

Reactions: artradley
They athletic union shouldn’t let them in the list season period.

They can Obst their own and do whatever they want.

Reading is wayyyy beyond Dog Boy's pay grade. Bur Dog Boy just well might live in the Land of the Panther. ;)

Nope. Knew he was talking pella.
Joel
Sorry your team isn’t as good and can’t contribute a single player to help UIowa.

I find it crazy that it's even considered plausible that high schools would "recruit" players and the school itself would play ball with reduced or free tuition.

It's high school.

We had some private schools in NJ that even recruit out of state. Bergen Catholic once got a wrestler from Romania! Then the coaches and parents strut around like peacocks as if they’ve accomplished something by whooping up on everybody else.

The coaches train with top college and pro coaches around the country, donors will house kids for free so they can be “local” without forcing parents to move, and they pluck the best talent from a four state region - then act as if beating public schools is a result of their superior coaching.

Reactions: Hwkfn1
Nailed it.

That poor little school in Sgt. Bluff that Heelan plays tonight has open enrolled players from all over Sioux City, mainly East HS which used to be a good football school until the players started open enrolling to SBL.

I feel for the true small town schools because they aren't getting open enrollees, but the city suburb schools are getting them.

Some smaller schools do get recruits. I think West Branch is on their third straight QB recruit. Lives in IC but drives to WB for sports.

Nope. Knew he was talking pella.
Joel
Sorry your team isn’t as good and can’t contribute a single player to help UIowa.
You are right, They have 2 on the roster (scholarship) now....so again Big Dog you have no clue....But of course, whatever point you are making. you are right and I am wrong. Recently though, they have been a bit above average.

ADVERTISEMENT