ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa HS girls wrestling officially sanctioned

…and damn, there are some tough as nails girls in Iowa. I’m not about to make comparisons to their male counterparts for fear of summoning @Legend12, but damn - from the quarters of the championship bracket on, there was some damn good wrestling considering where the sport is at this point in the state.

Also, announced today it will be a sanctioned sport moving forward. Pretty big deal for the sport.

So, the takeaway here is that you like to watch underaged girls getting physical with each other.

dazed-and.gif

It does seem like an event you should only attend if you have a relative competing.

My daughter (no pics) was competing and I was volunteering at a scoring table…so I don’t feel that creepy. To that point though, there’s definitely a challenge when it comes to training girls from the creepy standpoint. 95% of the coaches are male (because there aren’t many female wrestlers that could have moved into the coaching ranks) and it’s a contact sport. The coaches mostly demonstrate on each other from a learning perspective but that’s tough to translate. It’s going to take a while for women to start taking these roles before it gets less creepy.

My daughter (no pics) was competing and I was volunteering at a scoring table…so I don’t feel that creepy. To that point though, there’s definitely a challenge when it comes to training girls from the creepy standpoint. 95% of the coaches are male (because there aren’t many female wrestlers that could have moved into the coaching ranks) and it’s a contact sport. The coaches mostly demonstrate on each other from a learning perspective but that’s tough to translate. It’s going to take a while for women to start taking these roles before it gets less creepy.
You ever take a BJJ class? Men and women roll with each other all the time. There’s nothing creepy about teaching wrestling or any martial art to the opposite gender. It’s not a sexual thing at all.

I assumed that was the case - just kidding with you!

Reactions: Hawki97
Only a matter of time before some confused transexual dude gets a piece of this action and manhandles these girls like a wet mop.

Reactions: ghost80
Only a matter of time before some confused transexual dude gets a piece of this action and manhandles these girls like a wet mop.

I wish you the best with your issues, but really wish you wouldn't try to start wrestling girls.

You ever take a BJJ class? Men and women roll with each other all the time. There’s nothing creepy about teaching wrestling or any martial art to the opposite gender. It’s not a sexual thing at all.

I don’t actually disagree with what you’re saying…but also know it’s a little difficult for a lot of coaches at this point. You have a lot of people’s perspectives you’re dealing with.

I have honestly thought for some time that a mixed team in HS would be very exciting. Like 14 boy matches and seven girl matches for a dual. I think it would spur a lot of interest.

MUCH different when it is an adult male coach and a 16-yo female.

I'm about as far from woke as it gets...but there were a few <insert small town school coach here> that gave a butt slap after a win or a lets-get-pumped before a match and I was like "aw shit bro, that's not right."

I'm about as far from woke as it gets...but there were a few <insert small town school coach here> that gave a butt slap after a win or a lets-get-pumped before a match and I was like "aw shit bro, that's not right."

Wow. Yeah, that's not acceptable under any circumstance.

MUCH different when it is an adult male coach and a 16-yo female.
There’s that issue in all sports. What about a coach trying to teach a girls basketball player how to body up on a rebound or fight through a blockout? I get that there are pervs, but I just can’t stomach the idea of “Sorry, girl, you can’t play because grown men are pigs. Hurry on to class now.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT