ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa @ Illinois predictions

There's no doubt the Illini are better with Brandon Peters than they were without him, and I expect the Illini to put a few points on the board. However, Peters doesn't help the Illini defense, which isn't very good whether he plays or not. I expect Petras will have his best game of the season, although he may not have to throw very much since I expect the Hawks to take control with their rushing attack. But 12-15 for 180 yrds and no int's would still be an 80% completion rate, and 12 YPA.

Iowa 34
Illini 17

If Iowa uses lots of pre snap movement 42-16 Iowa.

little to no pre snap movement 20-16 Iowa.

Their defense is stout enough to make life a bit difficult for our offense. But, we’ll get lots of opportunities because I can’t see them doing much against our defense.

26-10 Iowa

Duncan gets lots of work again.

24-14 Hawks

Spencer under 200 passing yards but run game capitalizes on good field position provided by the defense..

..I know - REALLY going out on a limb with my prediction.

Sargent 1 TD
Goodson 1 TD
Defense 1 TD
Duncan 1 FG

Their defense is stout enough to make life a bit difficult for our offense. But, we’ll get lots of opportunities because I can’t see them doing much against our defense.

26-10 Iowa

Duncan gets lots of work again.
Their defense is all about big hits and whiffs from what I've seen the last couple years

Reactions: soybean
Peters is mediocre up and down like a lot of BIG QB's. He did didly bubkus at Michigan,( who's always searching for a new QB), and he's had a few good quarters of football at Illinois. We'll see how he fares if we put some pressure on him, and make him drive the length of the field a few times.
hope you turn out to be right. the 1 day of extra rest also should help a bit.

They want this one bad. I don't like the timing of this for many reasons stated above.

Illini 20
Iowa 17

I don't make score predictions but I think Petras will finally put it all together & get the fans behind him. On defense I think Heflin & Benson both have huge games

Reactions: F5n5
So Petras is all of a sudden going to find his accuracy this week? I highly doubt it. Iowa wins by 3. 17-14

Did you block out the wiscy and Minny games? ;)

I mean, for Minnesota we were a bit short handed (thanks, Wisconsin), and UW 1) is good and 2) was out for revenge after last year. I don’t expect Illinois to beat Iowa, and we could get blown out. However, Illinois played Iowa tough on the road last year, and they’ve played well in their last two games. You treating them like they’re a mid-major opponent isn’t backed up, and I’m guessing you just dislike Illinois. Lol.

FWIW, my current prediction is Iowa wins 28-17. I’d love to be wrong, though. ;)

So Petras is all of a sudden going to find his accuracy this week? I highly doubt it. Iowa wins by 3. 17-14

He was at 60% against Nebraska and Smith dropped a couple balls he should have had. Yes, Beyer made a catch maybe he should not have. So he needs 2 or 3 more completions to get to 65% or so which is alright.

I don't believe we have a Hartlieb brother on the bench waiting to come in.

Zach Wilson at 74% completion and is the #1 PFF QB for deep balls. OUch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We would be undefeated right now.

Last edited:
Only way Illinois has a chance is if they force turnovers. They were +2 vs Rutgers and +5 vs Nebraska (including 3 picks in each game).

As long as we stick with the ground game, and don't ask Petras to do anything crazy, I don't see how they could win.

Turnovers and BFz getting another bout of play-calling brain farts. Illinois is #89 in rushing defense, we should be able to run over them. But that's what we thought about Nebraska (98th in rush defense) and they held us to 129 on the ground.

This is no gimme, teams needs to play well.

Last edited:
The one thing the Illini are very good at is punching the ball out. Ball security will be huge in this game.

Iowa is at least 10 points better than Illinois and with a little luck we should win in a 30-13 type of affair. Just win and come home.

I really don't know the game impact or final score or if this helps your predictions; however, here's ILL injuries:

LEGEND
? = questionable
OID = out indefinitely
OFS= out for season

Eifler LB ?
Mondesir DL ?
Okpala OL ?
Jones OL ?
Robinson QB ?
Sidney WR OID
Palczeeski OL OFS
Thompson DB OFS

IOWA:
Wagoner DL ?
Cronk OL ?

If you had as much money as Kirk and Lovie, would you want to put in that many hours when you are in your 60s?

I think Peters is going to get to know Big Truck real well in this game, with a heavy sprinkling of Van Valkenburg on the side.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT