ADVERTISEMENT

IOWA in play?

This is on another thread. Any info or just another penny in the wishing well? We already have a damn good 97 coming in. We need help elsewhere.
Gavin is 2 time PIAA Clas AA champion at 197. Junior national champ this year. Believe he won the soph title last year.
Big tall, strong athletic 197 pounder. Just an opinion but 190 in college is probably too tough of a long term cut.
The kid will probably be a 230 give or take a few pounds heavyweight.
Whoever gets him is getting a keeper.

Last edited:
Reactions: IAChief32
Gavin is 2 time PIAA Clas AA champion at 197. Junior national champ this year. Believe he won the sophisticated title last year.
Big tall, strong athletic 197 pounder. Just an opinion but 190 in college is probably tought long term cut.
The kid will probably be a 230 give or take a few pounds heavyweight.
Whoever gets him is getting a keeper.

I disagree with this, but who knows what the future holds. I've seen him wrestle at 220 or so and he is not the wrestler he is at 195. Did not wrestle well with the extra weight. IMO he is a 97 all day long.

Not sure I would call him tall either, but, hey, we live in a wrestler's world where I'm usually one of the tallest in the group at 5'9" (5'8", I think, now that I'm over 50).

I see a lot of parallel to Ryan Solomon (situation wise, definitely not the same type of wrestler). Solomon was recruited for 197 ... well, except by Maryland, who told him 184 because they thought they had Snyder. Anyway, IMO he would be a high AA/finalist contender next year if he had stayed at 197. But the team needed him to go up, too late to go back down now, and he's probably a low AA candidate at HWT.

So, yeah, IMO Hoffman is a 197 ... unless he chooses a school that needs him to go up.

Reactions: dicemen99
Here's an interesting plot twist (potentially).

Hoffman wrestled 220 at Fargo (and placed 2nd) last year. So many people, myself included, assumed he bulk up and eventually be a college HWT. Apparently, he said he hated wrestling 220 and felt slow and lethargic. He's since been at 195, where he won FloNats.

BUT - he's registered for Akron at 85kg....187lbs. Is it possible he can be a college 184? Would fit in nicely for the Hawks (or anyone else for that matter).

I see a lot of parallel to Ryan Solomon (situation wise, definitely not the same type of wrestler). Solomon was recruited for 197 ... well, except by Maryland, who told him 184 because they thought they had Snyder. Anyway, IMO he would be a high AA/finalist contender next year if he had stayed at 197. But the team needed him to go up, too late to go back down now, and he's probably a low AA candidate at HWT.

So, yeah, IMO Hoffman is a 197 ... unless he chooses a school that needs him to go up.

Funny, I was thinking of posting Solomon as an example of one might expect from Hoffman should he end up at 285 when I posted this morning, but figured, who knows, maybe because Hoffman is a better prospect it might turn out better. But he's no Snyder or J'Den Cox (who would have contended at 285), so I think your example is probably spot on. Competing at 220, he looked like a Top 100ish kind of recruit. At 195, he looks like a top 25ish one.

EDIT- After thinking about it I think a good comparison to expect would be Jordan Wood. I think Jordan was a little overrated as a recruit coming out as he was/is a tweener. Jordan has added some weight, but still see him as a borderline AA guy at best right now. Maybe as he grows into it some more, but it remains to be seen and at 5'11 or 6'0 sometimes extra weight doesn't add much.

Last edited:

Hoffman wrestled 220 at Fargo (and placed 2nd) last year. So many people, myself included, assumed he bulk up and eventually be a college HWT. Apparently, he said he hated wrestling 220 and felt slow and lethargic. He's since been at 195, where he won FloNats.

BUT - he's registered for Akron at 85kg....187lbs. Is it possible he can be a college 184? Would fit in nicely for the Hawks (or anyone else for that matter).

I also feel slow and lethargic at 220. I know exactly where Hoffman is coming from.

Always wondered if this were possible but keep forgetting to ask. Gavin went from FR 170 to SO 195, because he outgrew 170 and Garrett was locked at 182 as a SR. Once you win states, why go back down?

If he can drop and chooses to be a college 184, that opens just about every door (except PSU with Wittlake also 2018). From an Iowa perspective, no more conflict with Warner.

From a neutral perspective, I'd think that would make Cornell the favorite. He was already strongly considering Koll. 2 hrs from home, strong academics, good workout partners (Dean, Dake, Simaz, etc. at FLWC). Plus no more logjam with Darmstadt at 197 and Janney/Furman at 285. (Maybe a 184 conflict with Max Dean, though I think Hoffman is a better prospect.)

But take that FWIW. I thought Brian Courtney was all but Cornell's, and he's headed to C-ville, so what do I know?

BTW, I would not expect Gavin to drop to 182 this year unless he wanted to test the weight drop for a full year. Otherwise why bother? Competition-wise, 182 will not challenge him in PA and probably not at Powerade.

Sad to say but it's looking more and more likely that we have no chance with Hoffman (didn't think so from the beginning) and Silva.

We can't compete unless we get top 10 p4p guys every year. We need to sway RBY or we will continue to have a massive hole at 133. We need to get Schultz or we will have a huge hole at HWT. We need an 184 of the future. We need a 149 of the future. We need a 141 (not sold on our current guys).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT