141 - top 2
149 - top 8
157 - top 12
165 - top 2
174 - top 2
184 - top 8
197 - top 8
HWT - top 2

Iowa has little room for error to win the natty but it can be done.

Reactions: SDHN2013
125 - nothing?
133 - top 4
141 - top 2
149 - top 8
157 - top 12
165 - top 2
174 - top 2
184 - top 8
197 - top 8
HWT - top 2

Hopefully we can peak in March so I’m wrong but these look more like best scenario based off performance so far.

157 - 12-16. Going to be a long weekend of keeping weight and energy right.
165 - top 6. Injury history and March haven’t been kind
184 - top 12-16. Gotta beat some higher end guys first.
HWT - hopefully Tony keeps advancing and can take the Kerk match confidence against Parris. Top 3. Carl will have a new game plan for Kerk and can’t say Tony will beat Parris at this time but he may not run into him assuming Tony gets the #2 seed at Big Ten and takes care of business to the finals, that’ll set him up for nationals.

First, none of our studs can lay an egg. 133, 141, 165, 174, 197, 285 all need to wrestle to seed.

Second, we have to at least split our head on matches with PSU

We need two of our fringe guys to pull out AA. With DA injured that looks like a tall order.

I think KY will dig deep here in his last year. After the top 3 or 4, its going to be a battle at 57. Whether he does or doesnt AA, he deserves a one week vacation at the Blue Bird Cafe.

JE and Jwar need to focus conditioning from now until Detroit. Both could be finalists but will need to finish matches starting at quarters in Detroit. Just go do whatever Desantos doing at practice.

Kem should work on conditioning and light work in the room. He has the best wrestling talent at 74, only thing holding him back is shoulder. Let Swafford wrestle until B10 now.

Dont see 16 wrestlers better than Assad at 84. He is top 8 but saying it doesnt make it so. He will need to wrestle hard at Bigs for seeding and in Detroit.

Desanto, Bull and Cass are all wrestling like finalists.

Mad Max could sneak in to semis but really think he will be low AA. He is tough to score on and a tough out for anybody.

Defer for now with 26. If Ybarra, I dont think he qualifies at Bigs. If Ayala, it will depend on any lasting effects of injury.

Hopefully we can peak in March so I’m wrong but these look more like best scenario based off performance so far.

157 - 12-16. Going to be a long weekend of keeping weight and energy right.
165 - top 6. Injury history and March haven’t been kind
184 - top 12-16. Gotta beat some higher end guys first.
HWT - hopefully Tony keeps advancing and can take the Kerk match confidence against Parris. Top 3. Carl will have a new game plan for Kerk and can’t say Tony will beat Parris at this time but he may not run into him assuming Tony gets the #2 seed at Big Ten and takes care of business to the finals, that’ll set him up for nationals.
I'd put Young in the Top 8. He is a 3 time all american.

Reactions: pawrestler4life
I think KY will dig deep here in his last year. After the top 3 or 4, its going to be a battle at 57. Whether he does or doesnt AA, he deserves a one week vacation at the Blue Bird Cafe.

JE and Jwar need to focus conditioning from now until Detroit. Both could be finalists but will need to finish matches starting at quarters in Detroit. Just go do whatever Desantos doing at practice.

Kem should work on conditioning and light work in the room. He has the best wrestling talent at 74, only thing holding him back is shoulder. Let Swafford wrestle until B10 now.

Dont see 16 wrestlers better than Assad at 84. He is top 8 but saying it doesnt make it so. He will need to wrestle hard at Bigs for seeding and in Detroit.

Desanto, Bull and Cass are all wrestling like finalists.

Mad Max could sneak in to semis but really think he will be low AA. He is tough to score on and a tough out for anybody.

Defer for now with 26. If Ybarra, I dont think he qualifies at Bigs. If Ayala, it will depend on any lasting effects of injury.
I watched Kem wrestle a hard 10 minutes and he looked like he could go a little longer.

Reactions: Gutt15
Iowa showed me that they will be right there knocking on the door at nationals. Yes, PSU will be the favorite still. Iowa is closer to them than I thought.

Reactions: chuck285
125 - ybarra definitely not placing. Ayala top 8 if he was healthy.
133 - top 3
141 - top 4
149 - top 12
157 - top 12
165 - hard to say bc of history. Top 12 I guess.
174 - top 2
184 - top 16
197 - top 6
285 - top 4

Reactions: CesspoolHawk
I'd put Young in the Top 8. He is a 3 time all american.
3 time AA and gets it done in March. Everyone is writing him off already with all losses by decision to 5 of the top 10 guys and closest match Carr has had all year. He’s beat Deakin twice in March before and is gritty. General fan doesn’t realize the grind of the sport and how wrestlers gameplan to slow guys down. Very few of the top tier guys can go out and go balls to the wall and get multiple takedowns and bonus point wins consistently, especially in their 6th year. Have faith and know your guys. Go hawks. Winners win.

I watched Kem wrestle a hard 10 minutes and he looked like he could go a little longer.
I didnt mean that as Kem is out of shape, he is in good physical condition. Id just rather see him continue conditioning program mixed in with some light actual wrestling work in practice. And really, we dont need him in anymore duals although Im sure he will want to wrestle in the ballpark. I want to see him as healthy as possible for Bigs.

3 time AA and gets it done in March. Everyone is writing him off already with all losses by decision to 5 of the top 10 guys and closest match Carr has had all year. He’s beat Deakin twice in March before and is gritty. General fan doesn’t realize the grind of the sport and how wrestlers gameplan to slow guys down. Very few of the top tier guys can go out and go balls to the wall and get multiple takedowns and bonus point wins consistently, especially in their 6th year. Have faith and know your guys. Go hawks. Winners win.
I agree and think Young has a good chance to All-American based on his history. However, not all 5 losses were by decision. He got majored by Humphrey’s from Lehigh and pinned by Scott from NC State.

Reactions: pawrestler4life
I agree and think Young has a good chance to All-American based on his history. However, not all 5 losses were by decision. He got majored by Humphrey’s from Lehigh and pinned by Scott from NC State.
Good call, realized the pin happened after posting and major slipped my mind. Regardless, pin was a headlock and unfortunate. Major came after Young had lead and ended up in Humphrey’s most dominant position. Overall, nothing blaring that I’d be jumping ship for is all I’m saying

Reactions: TNTwrestle
I am fine with where we are at. A solid 2nd and we were a whisker away from beating a healthy, all 10 starters going, PSU team with our 3rd string 125 and a far from healthy other 9. Like I said before, the sky isn't falling and Friday night's results were promising to me. Really boils down to whether we are healthier in March than we are now IMO.

125 - nothing?
133 - top 4
141 - top 2
149 - top 8
157 - top 12
165 - top 2
174 - top 2
184 - top 8
197 - top 8
HWT - top 2

Iowa
125 - No DA, Zero. With DA, 6-Rd12
133- 3-4
141- 1-4
149- 7-Rd12
157- 7-Rd12
165- 1-7
174- 1-4
184- 7-Rd12
197- 3-5 (everyone moves up 1 spot if Ferrari cannot go)
Hwt- 3-5

PSU
125- 5-Rd12
133- 1-3
141- 1-3
149- DNP/DNQ
157- DNP/DNQ
165-Rd12-DNP
174- 1-3
184- 1-3
197- 1-3
HWT- 3-5

Ferrari injury possibly gives PSU 5 finalists. Kerk could be 6 but he'll have to avoid the 4/5 line at NCAA. With that kind of placement potential Iowa will have to land serious bonus points (which they've struggled to do this year) and out-place their seed at every weight. This is a tall, tall task.

Reactions: Bucky712
My opinion is we will need 3 champs to win the team title this year. Eierman, Marinelli and Kemerer would be the most likely if it was gonna happen.

I am fine with where we are at. A solid 2nd and we were a whisker away from beating a healthy, all 10 starters going, PSU team with our 3rd string 125 and a far from healthy other 9. Like I said before, the sky isn't falling and Friday night's results were promising to me. Really boils down to whether we are healthier in March than we are now IMO.
Agree.

I get the sentiment, but given our results and with how injured we are, I just don’t see us all magically getting healthy and wrestling to potential in a month’s time. PSU will need to stumble a couple places and we’re going to have to be at our absolute best.

Last edited:
Reactions: blcoach80
I get the sentiment, but given our results and with how injured we are, I just don’t see us all magically getting healthy and wrestling to potential in a month’s time. PSU will need to stumble a couple paces and we’re going to have to be at our absolute best.
I agree and we are not the favorites. What I'm saying is we were close at no where near 100%. Will we be healthier in a month, I don't know. What I'm certain of is PSU won't be any healthier and I'd like to think we won't be any worse. That gives us a fighting chance. If we get blown out last Friday, I'd say it is all done but the crying. Not where we are at right now IMO.

Reactions: TailgateTom
You will have him back next year, if he's dumb enough to do that? I'm sure PSU is healthy as can be and won't be any better in March. I would guess 8/9 all americans for Iowa and 3 finalist. "stupid Minnesota" with 10. Penn State will be lucky to have 5 All Americans.

• Haha
Reactions: hlstone
You will have him back next year, if he's dumb enough to do that? I'm sure PSU is healthy as can be and won't be any better in March. I would guess 8/9 all americans for Iowa and 3 finalist. "stupid Minnesota" with 10. Penn State will be lucky to have 5 All Americans.

PSU has 7 returning AA's in their starting line-up.

Cass is in position to get to the finals right now. B1G seeds: 1 - Steveson, 2 - Cassioppi, 3 - Kerkvliet, 4 - Parris. Matchups are huge. Cassioppi struggles big time against Parris, but he matches up well against Kerkvliet. Manhandled him both times they wrestled. That could set up the national tournament with Steveson #1, Schultz #2, Cass #3, Kerkvliet #4, Parris #5. I like Cass against Schultz again as well.

Cass is in position to get to the finals right now. B1G seeds: 1 - Steveson, 2 - Cassioppi, 3 - Kerkvliet, 4 - Parris. Matchups are huge. Cassioppi struggles big time against Parris, but he matches up well against Kerkvliet. Manhandled him both times they wrestled. That could set up the national tournament with Steveson #1, Schultz #2, Cass #3, Kerkvliet #4, Parris #5. I like Cass against Schultz again as well.
Don’t be so sure. Hendrickson is ranked 6, undefeated, likely big 12 champ.

I highly doubt the give B1G heavies 4 of the top 5 seeds at nationals even if they are likely the 4 best in the country. I could see them giving Cass #3 and Parris #6 if Cass is a B1G runner up and Parris gets 4th there

Don’t be so sure. Hendrickson is ranked 6, undefeated, likely big 12 champ.
He hasn’t wrestled anyone of note. Can’t see him seeded above the other 5 unless Schultz takes a loss to Wood or Elam which could happen but I think we’re rooting against this and hope things fall in place for Cass and he comes though in BIG and NCAA.

Cael will not let Kerk go upper body again, with anyone my guess. And keeping him out from under anyone. Call it chicksh*t, but from his feet Kerk is a runner up. Going to have to force those positions he isn't comfortable with. Something had to be off with Parris when he faced Kerk, nobody gives up that ankle 3x in a row at that level.

Reactions: johnyt9
Cael will not let Kerk go upper body again, with anyone my guess. And keeping him out from under anyone. Call it chicksh*t, but from his feet Kerk is a runner up. Going to have to force those positions he isn't comfortable with. Something had to be off with Parris when he faced Kerk, nobody gives up that ankle 3x in a row at that level.
You would be correct, but Cass forced Kerk there, I don't think he wanted to be there prior to this match either, but got there he did.

You force your will on the opponent no matter their strategy. Iowa has done a piss poor job of that in recent times in tossup matches with PSU, IMO.

Cass and Marinelli forced their will on PSU this meet, and Berge is no match for Marinelli so that stands to reason (Kaleb Young could have done the same but he didn't come close). But, The Bull did the same thing with 2x National Champion Vincenzo Joseph, and got rewarded for his efforts. Granted Joseph was always willing to mix it up, but Marinelli forced the large majority of that great action we saw with those two warriors, and as a result lead that series 2-1 I believe.

THAT is how you beat Penn State, force them to where they are uncomfortable. If we let them dictate how the match goes, the results won't change. No, it isn't easy, but it CAN be done, and the proof is in the pudding.

The Bull did the same thing with 2x National Champion Vincenzo Joseph, and got rewarded for his efforts. Granted Joseph was always willing to mix it up, but Marinelli forced the large majority of that great action we saw with those two warriors, and as a result lead that series 2-1 I believe.

3-1, but who's counting? ;)

3-1, but who's counting? ;)
Even better. I didn't want to get too cocky since I wasn't sure! 🙂 That's incredible really. I think Vincenzo had 8 career losses. Apparently 3 to The Bull, 2 to Imart I think (?) and 1 to Mekhi Lewis. That's some pretty good company, especially since he took out Imart twice later on the big stage.

Big props to Vincenzo Joseph though, that guy had some of the wildest memorable matches of all-time with The Bull and Imart. He brought it and didn't care if you did too. Much respect.

ADVERTISEMENT