ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa-Iowa State series extended through 2027

I predict that by 2026 the B1G will have a 10-game schedule and the NCAA will allow 13 reg season games. This would allow teams to have a non-conf road game every year and still have 7 home games. Therefore, Iowa could keep the IA St series but continue playing home-home series with other major programs like they did pre-2016.
This. They can justify it by eliminating conference championship games. Even though the B1G championship is a big money-maker, there is more money to be made in 8 extra conference games.

I predict that by 2026 the B1G will have a 10-game schedule and the NCAA will allow 13 reg season games. This would allow teams to have a non-conf road game every year and still have 7 home games. Therefore, Iowa could keep the IA St series but continue playing home-home series with other major programs like they did pre-2016.
That is exactly what I believe will happen. All P5 conferences will go to this model imo. The NFL added a game this year and I believe CFB is next and of course will mean more $$$ for all.

A 13-game regular season doesn't work with a 12-team playoff. The CFP committee is already having a very hard time putting the expanded CFP schedule together, and may force the entire CFB regular season to start on what we currently call Week Zero.

A 13-game regular season doesn't work with a 12-team playoff. The CFP committee is already having a very hard time putting the expanded CFP schedule together, and may force the entire CFB regular season to start on what we currently call Week Zero.
And/Or it slips into mid to late January. Schools don't go back until mid January now. If the kids eventually get paid by number of games played, they may be more motivated also.

Reactions: hawkhockey
I'm sure they could make it "work," especially if they eliminate conference championship games (which I'm not sure the NCAA has the power to do, and I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about that). I do think starting the season Week Zero for most teams will become a regular thing, though.

Didn't the regents or Iowa legislature get in it many yrs ago and somehow mandate that Iowa and Iowa St had to play each other ?

And/Or it slips into mid to late January. Schools don't go back until mid January now. If the kids eventually get paid by number of games played, they may be more motivated also.

The CFP wants to use bowls for the quarters and semis, and the dates on those can't move very much. Or choose not to move very much. The Rose Bowl was a big thorn in the side of early expansion.

Listening to kxno yesterday was comedy. Every Iowa fan that called in would like to see a couple years on then off to play other teams. Isu fans lose their mind that Iowa fans can even think that. Iowa State needs this game. No more OU and Texas. Take Iowa off the schedule too and Jamie will have to get creative to sell season tix.

The Iowa Athletic Department appreciates the guaranteed sellout for ISU, even though lots of fans want to pretend they're above the rivalry.

The game also helps drive season ticket sales. Season ticket sales are gonna crash next year after losing ISU, Wisky, Michigan, and Nebraska from the schedule.

The Iowa Athletic Department appreciates the guaranteed sellout for ISU, even though lots of fans want to pretend they're above the rivalry.

The game also helps drive season ticket sales. Season ticket sales are gonna crash next year after losing ISU, Wisky, Michigan, and Nebraska from the schedule.
Serious question. Why doesn’t the athletic department play UNI every single year then? That’s an auto sellout and a lot of times we get 65k against a nobody in September. Especially a year like next year.

Listening to kxno yesterday was comedy. Every Iowa fan that called in would like to see a couple years on then off to play other teams. Isu fans lose their mind that Iowa fans can even think that. Iowa State needs this game. No more OU and Texas. Take Iowa off the schedule too and Jamie will have to get creative to sell season tix.
I just turn the radio off when The Drive starts. I don't think anything can be said about Iowa or Iowa State on that show without Heather commenting negatively about Iowa. I get that she's a fan of ISU, but the obsession is cringe worthy.

Serious question. Why doesn’t the athletic department play UNI every single year then? That’s an auto sellout and a lot of times we get 65k against a nobody in September. Especially a year like next year.

I think they don't want to play FCS too often. But I would rather play UNI than the SDSU game we had this year, might as well play UNI than a different FCS.

They are selling some cheaper tickets in FCS games, so a UNI sellout is less money than an ISU sellout. ISU used to be sold at single-game pricing similar to OSU and Michigan. When we were bringing in Pitt and Arizona State, those tickets were not as expensive as the other big priced games on the schedule.

The ISU game is probably the most profitable game on Iowa's schedule. Ticket prices that match the blue bloods, but it is also our cheapest road game every other year.

I think they don't want to play FCS too often. But I would rather play UNI than the SDSU game we had this year, might as well play UNI than a different FCS.

They are selling some cheaper tickets in FCS games, so a UNI sellout is less money than an ISU sellout. ISU used to be sold at single-game pricing similar to OSU and Michigan. When we were bringing in Pitt and Arizona State, those tickets were not as expensive as the other big priced games on the schedule.

The ISU game is probably the most profitable game on Iowa's schedule. Ticket prices that match the blue bloods, but it is also our cheapest road game every other year.
And the home team keeps 100% of the gate.

In fairness The Iowa vs ISU thing is a different deal anyway. When you think about it we're one of the few (if any) states where the two state schools are in different P5 conferences. Pretty much all the others play each other in conference games. Yes, even smaller population states like KU vs KSU.. One other noteable example like Iowa would be Florida vs FSU. Not sure if they play often or not.....

Wish they would strike a deal that has them playing every other year.

The same P5 non-con season after season is terrible and stale. Branch out, Iowa.

FFS.

In fairness The Iowa vs ISU thing is a different deal anyway. When you think about it we're one of the few (if any) states where the two state schools are in different P5 conferences. Pretty much all the others play each other in conference games. Yes, even smaller population states like KU vs KSU.. One other noteable example like Iowa would be Florida vs FSU. Not sure if they play often or not.....
Pitt and Penn State in different P5 conferences. They don’t play one another every year.

Pitt and Penn State in different P5 conferences. They don’t play one another every year.
As I said with my edit, most states. Certainly its way more prevalent if there are two or more P5 teams in one state they are in the same conference. Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Texas, California, Washington, Arizona, Oklahoma, Oregon, Florida has FSU and Miami in the ACC, (while Florida in the SEC), North Carolina, Virginia, and Mississippi. Some states have three, Cal has four, hell Texas had FIVE teams in the same conference. I think thats it. Some exceptions Penn, Florida U, Georgia, and Iowa.

Last edited:
A few years ago the powers that be made some rules that FBS teams like Iowa could not play FCS teams like UNI very often. I was surprised SD State was on the schedule this year.

I am not sure if that rule has been rescinded or not.

A few years ago the powers that be made some rules that FBS teams like Iowa could not play FCS teams like UNI very often. I was surprised SD State was on the schedule this year.

I am not sure if that rule has been rescinded or not.

It was the conference that imposed that rule.

It was the conference that imposed that rule.
At one time, a win over a FCS (known then as 1-AA) school couldn't be counted toward bowl eligibility. At one time, you could count one win, but no more. And there have been other iterations.

At one time, a win over a FCS (known then as 1-AA) school couldn't be counted toward bowl eligibility. At one time, you could count one win, but no more. And there have been other iterations.
Yeah, I remember Iowa having to win the season finale against Minnesota in '95 to get to 7 wins to clinch bowl eligibility because one of their wins was against 1-AA UNI. Ended up winning and having a memorable Sun Bowl domination of Rose Bowl nemesis Washington.

I think there might have been a rule at one time when you could count a 1-AA win toward bowl eligibility like once every 3 years or something. I think all those rules have been done away with for some time now, considering they have a hard time filling all the bowl games now with 6+ win teams.

Long ago there was a rule that D1-A teams could only play D1-AA teams once every four years. That may have gone away in the last decade or so.

The B1G made a rule about 5 years ago about not playing FCS teams, but they have silently rolled it back.

ADVERTISEMENT