ADVERTISEMENT

IOWA is 5th youngest team in Country. It had no Spring Practices. And our Fan Base expects Perfection

I saw that, I did not realize how young the roster is overall - gets a little obscured by ISM/Smith at WR I think as seniors, when most of the other guys are younger than that.

Also throw in the on again/off again nature of fall camp and stuff makes a little more sense. I'm also looking around and just seeing crazy results all over and realizing that this year just isn't the season to determine how good 90% of the teams are this year.

You obviously are a big kf fan...22 years and 2 conference titles to show for it..almost 20 years ago...would you want stock in a company like that???????

Our fan base expects perfection...
TeTKN3a.gif

You obviously are a big kf fan...22 years and 2 conference titles to show for it..almost 20 years ago...would you want stock in a company like that???????
Yes. I'll take P& G stock with steady growth and a 4% dividend every year over Enron...

Except the 4% growth is from year to year..so essentially you get 4% better each year. So by your math the team should be 40% better then in 2010 correct? I think a lot of people on here would argue we are 4% better from 2010 to 2020
Great analyticals skills, that's exactly what he was getting at.

• Haha
Reactions: papabeef
Perfection? We are 1-2 and lost to two teams that aren't any good. We're a long ways from perfection.

this is just a very tough year to judge any team. Remember when Iowa state lost so Louisiana? Yeah they’re near the top of the b12. Or when kansas state won @ Oklahoma after losing to Arkansas state?

because the b10 screwed around, this has taken on an especially bizarro season after the on / off again fall camp.

for this one year, I’m just happy to have football and want to see them play better in 6 weeks than they started out. Person, I think we played better overall than it looked, but mistakes at bad moments killed us.

Except the 4% growth is from year to year..so essentially you get 4% better each year. So by your math the team should be 40% better then in 2010 correct? I think a lot of people on here would argue we are 4% better from 2010 to 2020
Or, we can be like Debbie and find out that a 7-5 to 10-3 record is much better then multiple losing seasons and a coaching carousel. KF might not be Urban Meyer or Nick Saban, but he is the fourth winningest coach in Big Ten history. ;)

Or, we can be like Debbie and find out that a 7-5 to 10-3 record is much better then multiple losing seasons and a coaching carousel. KF might not be Urban Meyer or Nick Saban, but he is the fourth winningest coach in Big Ten history. ;)
Now the argument will be that its all because he's been here for so long. True, but here's the thing fellas, He still had to WIN those 163 games! He's not 4th all time because he coached here for 21+ seasons. Its because he's won 163 games or whatever. For the math folks that almost 8 wins a year. Without the start over from the ashes 1999-2000 year its over 8 wins a year.

Perfection? We are 1-2 and lost to two teams that aren't any good. We're a long ways from perfection.
Well comparatively speaking to the best teams in the country, Northwestern and Purdue aren't good.

But right now, thanks to covid running wild in Madison, they're the leaders of the West.......because Iowa is so generous like that.

Since nobody looses a year of eligibility this year will we still be the 5th youngest next year?
I don't think anyone knows how next season is really going to go for teams.

Basically sounds like: "congratulations seniors, you can come back next year (if you're currently in the two deeps). We're still trying to figure out how to pay for it, but you're welcome back (but hope many of you don't). Not a huge deal if you don't want to though, who really wants to go through spring and fall camp again anyway (unless you're starting and need more film for the NFL) ?"

Sure, 3-0 would be nice but it's not surprising that it has taken a few weeks to get things right.

And posters already wanting Petras benched? Good grief.

In the opening game of season Iowa had 10 juniors, seniors or graduate players on their offensive two deeps on offense and 11 on defense. Purdue had 9 of offense and 10 on defense. Purdue’s 112 man roster has 87 freshmen, redshirt freshmen and sophomores.

Reactions: pink shizzle
Sure, 3-0 would be nice but it's not surprising that it has taken a few weeks to get things right.

Come on, Fran. How's that job at the straw man factory going?

Nobody expects "perfection" every year. We do expect consistency from a guy who's been in the job 20+ years. I'm sure Petras will continue to improve with experience as well...but he's not some newbie who's never seen the IOWA playbook.

We'll know by the end of the year. Regardless of roster age, under .500 ain't gonna cut it.

Last edited:
How's that job at the straw man factory workin' out?

Nobody expects "perfection".

Nobody expects "perfection" every year. We do expect consistency from a guy who's been in the job 20+ years. I'm sure Petras will continue to improve with experience as well...but he's not some newbie who's never seen the IOWA playbook.

We'll know by the end of the year. Regardless of roster age, under .500 ain't gonna cut it.

Straw man factory? And you want to be taken seriously?

And you expect consistency, huh? Well, that's what you have gotten. KF won 47 games over the last 5 years, which had never before been done in program history.

Last edited:
Straw man factory? And you want to be taken seriously?

And you expect consistency, huh? Well, that's what you have gotten. KF won 47 games over the last 5 years, which had never before been done in program history.

OK, Fran...we've always gotten along. You know what I mean... it's not fair to say that everyone expects perfection. They don't.

Yes, KFz just had a great 5 year run... one of the best in IOWA football history behind Howard Jones, JHF and Evy. Maybe that's why folks are surprised by the apparent drop off.

But again, it's only 3 games. 7-2 is still possible...so is 1-8. I'd put my money on 5-4 if forced to.

Nobody expects "perfection" every year. We do expect consistency from a guy who's been in the job 20+ years.
I hope the irony here isn't lost on you. If there has been one word the outside media uses to describe the Iowa program under Kirk it's been consistent. I honestly thought you were trolling when first reading it.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/iowa-football-game-game-predictions-2020

Iowa has been one of the more consistent teams in the entire country throughout Kirk Ferentz's tenure

Found that in 15 seconds. Probably could fine 400 more articles that say that.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Didn't realize Iowa was that young! Wonder where Purdue is. They are probably pretty close to that. Any idea where they got the list?

Now the argument will be that its all because he's been here for so long. True, but here's the thing fellas, He still had to WIN those 163 games! He's not 4th all time because he coached here for 21+ seasons. Its because he's won 163 games or whatever. For the math folks that almost 8 wins a year. Without the start over from the ashes 1999-2000 year its over 8 wins a year.
Exactly. Also, people don't seem to take into consideration that Iowa had those years they lost Brandon Wegher after his freshman year, and then Adam Robinson shortly after. Both were young backs. Then we lost Marcus Coker, all in what, a two or three year period? That was Kirk's worst stretch I believe. Think of how many years that set Iowa back. If Wisconsin had lost their three best backs in a two or three year span, I doubt they would have been so dominant in the West, and things would look differently today. How good could Iowa had been if they had Wegher and Adam Robinson for 3 or 4 years, and Coker for the same duration? Instead, we had to use a fullback at tailback in Mark Weisman, who did a good job for what it was, but he was still a FB playing HB.

Exactly. Also, people don't seem to take into consideration that Iowa had those years they lost Brandon Wegher after his freshman year, and then Adam Robinson shortly after. Both were young backs. Then we lost Marcus Coker, all in what, a two or three year period? That was Kirk's worst stretch I believe. Think of how many years that set Iowa back. If Wisconsin had lost their three best backs in a two or three year span, I doubt they would have been so dominant in the West, and things would look differently today. How good could Iowa had been if they had Wegher and Adam Robinson for 3 or 4 years, and Coker for the same duration? Instead, we had to use a fullback at tailback in Mark Weisman, who did a good job for what it was, but he was still a FB playing HB.
They also lost Jewell Hampton after 2010 as well.

It is a bit misleading. Our starters going off week 1 lineups there were a lot of upperclassman.
4 of 5 OL
2 WRs
4 DL
2 LB
3 Secondary

Then you have Goodson, La Porta, Ragaini & Tracy who all played as freshman. Basically the whole offense minus Petras were not playing in their first game and had least 1 season of being on the field under their belt.

Reactions: Hawk94Mn
Our senior starters are VERY few this year. And considering that they can all come back, that leaves us looking pretty darn competitive. This is fantastic for the type of development that is the Iowa program.

There will be a considerable amount of experience on our roster for years to come. Which, again, is good for a program like Iowa's. Yes, others will have the same advantage EXCEPT the teams that will lose lots of talent to the NFL. Plus, it weighs heavily towards a Kirk Ferentz run program.

Senior starters on Offense:
Brandon Smith
Alaric Jackson
Cole Banwart
ISM
Keith Duncan

Senior starters on Defense:
Chancey Golston
Jack Heflin
Barrintong Wade(when we don't play cash)
Nick Neimann
Matt Hankins

We should be returning all but a few players. It will be interesting.

Almost all teams should be better from the extra year. But I still say it favors KF and the Iowa Hawkeyes more than 95% of all programs.

It is a bit misleading. Our starters going off week 1 lineups there were a lot of upperclassman.
4 of 5 OL
2 WRs
4 DL
2 LB
3 Secondary

Then you have Goodson, La Porta, Ragaini & Tracy who all played as freshman. Basically the whole offense minus Petras were not playing in their first game and had least 1 season of being on the field under their belt.

definitely an older defense but a lot of guys seeing there first ever time. I think Barrington and Niemann playing out of position and Heflin playing his first game within the scheme hurt them in the run game. Along with Nixon and ZVV never playing a full game before.

MSU was fairy successful against an above average Michigan defense but they really struggled against the Hawks front 7. I think the defense has figured out its deficiencies and played a lot more aggressive upfront. Benson is going to be a hell of player.

if they can hold Minnesota to 27 they will be 2-2

Sorry if it's already been said but save the young roster BS. There are hardly any first time starters let alone underclassmen on the 22 and this team still shit the bed against 2 mediocre teams. One who didn't even have their best players on the field.

• Haha
Reactions: papabeef
First of all, I don't believe HROT is representative of our fan base, way overboard here.
Second, I think very few fanbases expect perfection, maybe Ohio State, Notre Dame, Alabama.
Third, fans care about winning, not necessarily about how you won, how much you won by, who you beat.
Fourth, in football as in life, you're only as good as your last game.

Well comparatively speaking to the best teams in the country, Northwestern and Purdue aren't good.

But right now, thanks to covid running wild in Madison, they're the leaders of the West.......because Iowa is so generous like that.
kind of a shitty comparsion . compared to the BEST teams in the country probably not that good , how many best teams in the country are there ? 7 or 8 ? northwestern is very solid purdue is not far behind .

Sorry if it's already been said but save the young roster BS. There are hardly any first time starters let alone underclassmen on the 22 and this team still shit the bed against 2 mediocre teams. One who didn't even have their best players on the field.
pretty sure we were missing some of our better linebackers . if you think northwestern is mediocre you have shown us your football knowledge .

Just looked at the two deeps, and it hit me that 10 of 11 starters on O are juniors or younger (Schott at OG) and seven junior or younger defenders, and no one in the defensive "B" team is a senior. The two seniors on the 2 deep are Max Cooper and Ivory Kelly Martin, neither of whom have contributed much and will almost certainly get jumped during the season.

If everyone sticks around and the QB situation improves this could be a really strong senior group.

Yeah, check out the orig post from November. Iowa is an incredibly young team. It will be interesting to see if they keep the momentum and winning streak going.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT