ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa is lucky to have Rick Heller

Lamoni

Team MVP
Dec 2, 2011
The more I hear from and about Heller the more I am impressed with the guy. I listened to him for about 45 minutes today on this podcast (and then went into an internet wormhole researching his career) and can't be more excited about where he is taking the Iowa Baseball program. He has won at every stop and built programs from scratch. If the administration continues to support the program we could be on the verge of some exciting days in Iowa Baseball.

Listen to him here:
https://www.moonlightgrahamshow.com/podcast/2017/11/21/ep-40-iowa-hawkeye-baseball-coach-rick-heller

I'd consider the exciting days already here myself, but maybe someday a NCAA Super Regional or even CWS appearance. But competing for Big Ten titles regularly is already beyond my expectations for the program after what they'd been the last fifteen years. Hope he stays at Iowa the rest of his career, but if he does it's probably by his own choice because I have to believe he's impressed some big time programs with what he's accomplished at multiple schools.

Reactions: Lamoni
I'd consider the exciting days already here myself, but maybe someday a NCAA Super Regional or even CWS appearance. But competing for Big Ten titles regularly is already beyond my expectations for the program after what they'd been the last fifteen years. Hope he stays at Iowa the rest of his career, but if he does it's probably by his own choice because I have to believe he's impressed some big time programs with what he's accomplished at multiple schools.

Rick is an Iowa guy, I'd be shocked if he didn't stay at Iowa.

Super Regional is obviously the next step the program needs to take at some point. We've seen how difficult it is/will be. The team had a shot in Houston. If you start 2-0 then anything can happen. They almost did that, thought they had tied the A&M game. Not sure if Iowa's pitching would have held up.

Obviously I'd like to see Iowa win a B1G title, not have to win the B1G tournament, then make a super and see what happens.

I'm not saying I think he will leave but from listening to him tell he story of his career in the podcast we are really lucky he ended up here. I think Heller will be here for life as long as the administration continues to support the program as it grows and sees more success.

The new hitting facility is a big step in the right direction. Duane Banks has seen a lot of upgrades but it is still a bottom half of the Big Teb stadium.

Rick is an Iowa guy, I'd be shocked if he didn't stay at Iowa.

Super Regional is obviously the next step the program needs to take at some point. We've seen how difficult it is/will be. The team had a shot in Houston. If you start 2-0 then anything can happen. They almost did that, thought they had tied the A&M game. Not sure if Iowa's pitching would have held up.

Obviously I'd like to see Iowa win a B1G title, not have to win the B1G tournament, then make a super and see what happens.
He will stay as long as Iowa gets the facilities in place. We are sooooooo behind, the rendering of the new facility looks promising.

I haven't seen those renderings yet.

Will be interesting to see if they can replace Adams and McCoy in the lineup. I'm pumped to see the development of Probst and Dreyer on the mound. Those two are future aces.

Will be interesting to see if they can replace Adams and McCoy in the lineup. I'm pumped to see the development of Probst and Dreyer on the mound. Those two are future aces.

The power of Adams will not be replaced.

A lot of teams are able to use minor league facilities and it's going to be tough to match those with an on-campus field. That said, Duane Banks has gotten kind of ratty around the edges. More seating would be nice, though parking is already an issue for non-weekend games.

The renderings were at the field during a game, looked really nice and is DESPERATELY needed.

Best I could find.

Future-Duane-Banks-DRC_0953_d3u5og.jpg

The program is in such a great spot right now. Great weekend!!

Yes it is!

A bucket list of mine is to watch Iowa Baseball play in the college world series. If that happens, from seeing the crowd Iowa had at the B1G championship game against O$U a few years ago...that place will be electric! That atmosphere from that day in Omaha was the best baseball atmosphere I have ever been in...regardless of level. Hearing the I-O-W-A chant going on in the 8th inning was a thing of beauty!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT