Iowa is Making a Heavy Push for Fardaws Aimaq, a 6'11", 245 lb Center in the Transfer Portal

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
He played this past season at Utah Valley (20-12; 10-8; finished 7th in the WAC; New Mexico State was conf champ).

He was a junior this past season so has at least 1 year remaining.

This year's stats:
18.9 points/game
13.6 reb/game
1.7 assists/game
1.3 blocks/game
0.7 steals/game

49% Overall FG%
44% from 3
72% FTs

34 min/game
2.7 fouls/game

HawkHoops80

HR MVP
Gold Member
Mar 20, 2022
Dang, that would be nice. For some reason I think he’s going to end up at an elite school though. Kentucky would be the least surprising landing spot.
Everyone keeps saying this because it's Kentucky. However if this guy wants to start and be the guy that would be the last place to go. It's sounding like Oscar Tshiebwe (likely POTY) is going to return since he's likely only a 2nd round pick and they return their entire front court-- Keion Brooks, Jacob Toppin and like 3 other 6'9 guys from their bench.

I have no clue what Tech, Arkansas and others have returning, but the team with the NPOTY center on it probably is the one with the least playing time (barring Tshiebwe declaring for the draft somewhat unexpectedly).

HawkHoops80

HR MVP
Gold Member
Mar 20, 2022
Rebraca is really a PF
I feel like I'm in an echo chamber. Name 1 P6 team this year that has someone as unathletic as Rebracca as a 4? In Fran's offense that means being out on the perimeter, willing to shoot 3s, and doing a lot of cutting rather than screening.
Here's a list of 4s in the conference that Rebracca would have had to guard this year if he was a 4: Keegan, Liddel, Trace Jackson Davis, Wahl, Gillis, Harper Jr, Hauser, Nance--you get the idea. Outside of TJD, all of those guys can shoot on the perimeter and would destroy Rebracca off the dribble.

You may still see 2 posts on the block at your local high school, but you aren't seeing that in high division 1 college or NBA. There's a reason Purdue never played Edey and Williams together--they'd be MASSIVE defensive liabilities and they would create spacing issues on offense.

CookyMonster

HR All-American
Nov 27, 2018
I feel like I'm in an echo chamber. Name 1 P6 team this year that has someone as unathletic as Rebracca as a 4? In Fran's offense that means being out on the perimeter, willing to shoot 3s, and doing a lot of cutting rather than screening.
Here's a list of 4s in the conference that Rebracca would have had to guard this year if he was a 4: Keegan, Liddel, Trace Jackson Davis, Wahl, Gillis, Harper Jr, Hauser, Nance--you get the idea. Outside of TJD, all of those guys can shoot on the perimeter and would destroy Rebracca off the dribble.

You may still see 2 posts on the block at your local high school, but you aren't seeing that in high division 1 college or NBA. There's a reason Purdue never played Edey and Williams together--they'd be MASSIVE defensive liabilities and they would create spacing issues on offense.

Close but not quite. TJD isnt a 4, Race Thompson was the 4. Nance also started at center. Wahl, Gillis, and Hauser arent destroying anyone off the dribble. Weird take.

It isnt Rebraca athletcism holding him back from being a 4, like you alluded to, it is his skill. Cant shoot and cant dribble. He shouldnt play anything but the 5.

red/green hawk

HR Heisman
Oct 28, 2009
Close but not quite. TJD isnt a 4, Race Thompson was the 4. Nance also started at center. Wahl, Gillis, and Hauser arent destroying anyone off the dribble. Weird take.

It isnt Rebraca athletcism holding him back from being a 4, like you alluded to, it is his skill. Cant shoot and cant dribble. He shouldnt play anything but the 5.
This, and it's not likely he'll develope one either. He needs to work out with the football team (if that's even possible) or someone and add some bulk.

HawkLogic

HR Legend
Feb 20, 2011
I feel like an elite shot blocker is an absolute game changer. Our full court press with guys like Perkins, Ulis, Joe T, PMac and Kris can get even more aggressive. Yikes.

Yes, I agree...especially if your existing center is undersized, moderate athlete, doesn't have much offense and is 60% FT shooter. Rebraca is looks to be a great young man and he plays really hard, but he is a backup guy on a good team at center or PF. It is possible that Rebraca will make improvements to his game next year, but he is relatively mature player.

Since Iowa wasn't getting any scoring from Rebraca, I was curious to see more Mulvey this year...admittedly he was raw and Josh was ahead of him on depth chart.

Does sound like Josh may be choosing to move on. He was very likeable and came up big in BTT.

Reactions: BirdistheWord

HawkAssassin

HR MVP
Jun 24, 2016
Iowa
The thing that stands out is he’s 3rd nationally in def rebounding %. Averaged 34.4 minutes per game. Only averages 3 fouls every forty minutes which is really good for a center. This is someone you can count on to not take himself out of the game with dumb fouls ideally.

Highlight video shows he’s built more physically up top. Shot blocking numbers tell you he wouldn’t be a huge shot block guy at the Big Ten level. OK with that because Kris can provide that from a weak side position. Defensive rating was 2nd on Utah Valley last year so he was a plus at least for them there.

Not been very efficient at a mid major level on offense. Took the 2nd most midrange shots amongst centers in the country. Probably dragging down his efficiency. Solid shooter on a low volume from 3. Wish he kept the ball high more consistently. Willing to give him a chance because I like his touch.

Best case scenario is he’s the smart, physical anchor of a defense we haven’t had in a while. Provides enough scoring inside and out to keep defenses honest. Don’t need a home run so this is good.

Would also have two more years of eligibility it looks like.

2432Hawk

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jun 22, 2002
Pardeeville, WI
He played this past season at Utah Valley (20-12; 10-8; finished 7th in the WAC; New Mexico State was conf champ).

He was a junior this past season so has at least 1 year remaining.

This year's stats:
18.9 points/game
13.6 reb/game
1.7 assists/game
1.3 blocks/game
0.7 steals/game

49% Overall FG%
44% from 3
72% FTs

34 min/game
2.7 fouls/game

He's a redshirt sophomore this season

So would have 2 years but he is also going to test the NBA route

Roy L Fuchs

HR MVP
Nov 23, 2012
Dang, that would be nice. For some reason I think he’s going to end up at an elite school though. Kentucky would be the least surprising landing spot.
Kentucky has a lot of NIL in their back pocket. VERY surprised if it’s not UK. Only way it isn’t is if they don’t have the scholly. But, even then, $1million plus NIL will pay those costs so it doesn’t matter.

2432Hawk

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jun 22, 2002
Pardeeville, WI
I will take your word for it.

ESPN listed him as a junior.

Played as a Fr. at Mercer, then redshirt year before playing this season at Utah Valley

He's already had strong workouts for NBA Teams last summer too. He may not be around for college teams to lure...

Reactions: Franisdaman

HawkHoops80

HR MVP
Gold Member
Mar 20, 2022
Read somewhere today that Aimaq already has over 50 offers. He can choose to play for just about any school in the country if he wants.

IAGuy

HR MVP
Gold Member
Mar 23, 2010
I will be really impressed when we wind up in second place for the young man.
EC64D0AD-3C24-447C-B2DA-3A953BF650C8.gif

Polkhawk

All-Conference
Sep 4, 2006
6'9" 225lbs averaged 18 pts, 8 boards in 32 min/game. 50% from the field 78% from the line. From the Milwaukee area so this would put him a bit closer to home.
How’s his defense? Is he strong enough to be effective inside? This is Rebraca’s size and he was handled to easily inside. To short to affect shots and not strong enough to force guys of the post.

BBHawk

HR Legend
Oct 31, 2001
Iowa City
How’s his defense? Is he strong enough to be effective inside? This is Rebraca’s size and he was handled to easily inside. To short to affect shots and not strong enough to force guys of the post.
Read the whole thread.
Edit: my bad. Thought you were talking about Aimaq. Never mind 🙂

Reactions: Rambler Hawk

BonzoFury

HR All-State
Feb 4, 2022
1.6 blocks, .9 steals, 2.8 fouls. Also noticed 3 turnovers/game. Ouch.

Hawkstrat

HR Legend
Gold Member
Aug 20, 2004
28% 3pt shooter on nearly 4 attempts per game. Looks a little stouter than Rebraca.

Lumas Etima

HR MVP
Apr 1, 2003
Aside from Aimaq, I have yet to see any centers in the portal who look like instant impact players. (And even Aimaq is not a sure thing.)

Last edited:

While not a great athlete, I found him to have a terrible offense game - skill wise.

Either way, we need someone who is 1. Taller 2. Stronger 3. More Athletic 4. Longer 5. Better Shot Blocker 6. Better Shooter (or as many of those attributes as possible)

Mulvey would be a start. If we can do better, outstanding.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk

Latest posts