Iowa is Making a Heavy Push for Fardaws Aimaq, a 6'11", 245 lb Center in the Transfer Portal

HawkHoops80

HR All-State
Gold Member
Mar 20, 2022
Does anybody think that iowa will have 3 bigs on the roster next season
? We had 3 true bigs this year that still have eligibility: Rebraca, Mulvey, Ogundele. Fran is quoted in an article saying he's going after a big in the portal. Don't know why we shouldn't believe what the coach is saying at this point.

Reactions: perryhawk

IamHawkeye

HR Legend
Oct 1, 2001
He played this past season at Utah Valley (20-12; 10-8; finished 7th in the WAC; New Mexico State was conf champ).

He was a junior this past season so has at least 1 year remaining.

This year's stats:
18.9 points/game
13.6 reb/game
1.7 assists/game
1.3 blocks/game
0.7 steals/game

49% Overall FG%
44% from 3
72% FTs

34 min/game
2.7 fouls/game

Dolph will love him!

dolph

BonzoFury

All-Conference
Feb 4, 2022
? We had 3 true bigs this year that still have eligibility: Rebraca, Mulvey, Ogundele. Fran is quoted in an article saying he's going after a big in the portal. Don't know why we shouldn't believe what the coach is saying at this point.
Word is JO may be transferring.
Rebraca really isn't a "big" in the space-eater, defensive, shot blocker kinda way.
That leaves a second year player who logged 80 minutes total this season.

We need some beef inside.

Reactions: mstp1992

cwh78

HR All-State
Gold Member
Aug 27, 2017
Gilman. Iowa
I believe he is implying someone will leave or he doesn't consider a 6-9 guy a big. He's kind of a Nostradomis guy on the paid board.

perryhawk

HR Legend
Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Perry, Iowa
He decided to reclassify and come in early ...his choice.

He obviously felt he was ready, time is now young fella.
The whole deal with his coming in early was that he could spend last year developing in college, at the school he was going to versus working in a different environment. I think the understanding was that "he was not ready" yet, but this is the best place for him to get ready.

Lumas Etima

HR All-State
Apr 1, 2003
The whole deal with his coming in early was that he could spend last year developing in college, at the school he was going to versus working in a different environment. I think the understanding was that "he was not ready" yet, but this is the best place for him to get ready.
Also, he had already left home. He played for Albany Academy his sophomore year, but transferred to the St. Thomas More prep school in Connecticut for his junior year because of Covid restrictions at Albany. (Albany didn't return to full in-person instruction until January of this year.) So, Mulvey was already living away from his parents and away from his hometown for the entirety of his junior year. That probably made it easier to forego what would have been his senior year and simply enroll in college a year early.

HawkHoops80

HR All-State
Gold Member
Mar 20, 2022
Also, he had already left home. He played for Albany Academy his sophomore year, but transferred to the St. Thomas More prep school in Connecticut for his junior year because of Covid restrictions at Albany. (Albany didn't return to full in-person instruction until January of this year.) So, Mulvey was already living away from his parents and away from his hometown for the entirety of his junior year. That probably made it easier to forego what would have been his senior year and simply enroll in college a year early.
He's also 19 and turning 20 in October. It wasn't like he was a 17 year old that reclassified--being 19 and still in high school probably didn't sound very appealing. I think it was the right choice for him.

LaQuintaHawkeye

HR All-American
Dec 16, 2017
He had last year to get ready ...time is now.

This isn't 1990 where a player was expected to use his RS year and then his RS-Fr year to develop before playing meaningful mins.

Reactions: Mohawkeye

perryhawk

HR Legend
Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Perry, Iowa
He had last year to get ready ...time is now.

This isn't 1990 where a player was expected to use his RS year and then his RS-Fr year to develop before playing meaningful mins.
I'm not sure exactly what you're saying in that last "1990" sentence?

But, maybe we aren't that far apart? This next season he needs to take a significant step forward....and he should. It will be another year in the weight room and having had a year to adjust to the athletes, size, and speed of the college game I will be very surprised if we don't see him contributing next year.

Now if the roster changes and we somehow end up with Liam Robinson and still have Rebraca, then he still might not see a ton of time. Conversely, my wild guess would be that we have Rebraca in the post and then a stronger more mature Riley who will see minutes in the early season against the easier competition, that will go a long ways towards determining how much time he gets in the B10. But that's just a guess.

LaQuintaHawkeye

HR All-American
Dec 16, 2017
I'm not sure exactly what you're saying in that last "1990" sentence?

But, maybe we aren't that far apart? This next season he needs to take a significant step forward....and he should. It will be another year in the weight room and having had a year to adjust to the athletes, size, and speed of the college game I will be very surprised if we don't see him contributing next year.

Now if the roster changes and we somehow end up with Liam Robinson and still have Rebraca, then he still might not see a ton of time. Conversely, my wild guess would be that we have Rebraca in the post and then a stronger more mature Riley who will see minutes in the early season against the easier competition, that will go a long ways towards determining how much time he gets in the B10. But that's just a guess.
Yeah, we're not that far apart.

Basically what I'm saying is this, kids these days feel they are ready "now" ...no one wants to 'wait their turn' or to 'spend time developing their game'. Mulvey made the decision to reclassify and come on board early specifically to play quicker at the college level. This coming season is his time to shine. None of this b.s. from some fans "hey, he actually just a high school senior" type of excuses. We need him next year, he better be ready. He will get no slack from this fan. Unless he has a health issue, no excuses.

• Haha
Reactions: Stephen Hawk King

icwesthawk

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Feb 11, 2009
Razorback coaches will be flying in to see transfer portal big, Fardaws Aimaq on Tuesday.

Well, we got a zoom call on Monday, so....

Reactions: MonmouthHawk

Hawkstrat

HR Legend
Gold Member
Aug 20, 2004
If he doesn't go to Iowa, hopefully he goes to Arkansas. Maybe they can fill up.

chuck285

HR All-American
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2017
I don't even know him, I'm just not that sold on Fran sealing the deal, if he is as good as some have said he is. We'll see....
Yep, you're right again. He didn't sign Garza or the Murray twins. So he does suck at getting bigs at Iowa?

Reactions: HawkeyeRH10

Hawk94Mn

HR MVP
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2017
Rebraca was horrible in the tournament game. Got abused like I’ve never seen on inbounds plays. Two or 3 times he turned to face the passer, in my life I have never seen this taught in a 2-3 zone. This opens you up to being influenced by the passer and a guy playing unguarded underneath the hoop. At one point it looked like he wad trying to contest a shot from the inbounds. Couple that with a horrible and 1 that he gave up. I wish he’d hang it up. Kid is just plain bad.

LarryMullenJr.

HR Heisman
Dec 7, 2011
Rebraca was horrible in the tournament game. Got abused like I’ve never seen on inbounds plays. Two or 3 times he turned to face the passer, in my life I have never seen this taught in a 2-3 zone. This opens you up to being influenced by the passer and a guy playing unguarded underneath the hoop. At one point it looked like he wad trying to contest a shot from the inbounds. Couple that with a horrible and 1 that he gave up. I wish he’d hang it up. Kid is just plain bad.
He certainly didn’t have a good game that day but he isn’t “just plain bad”. He’s a role player and most—not all—nights he played that role pretty solid.