Iowa is Making a Heavy Push for Fardaws Aimaq, a 6'11", 245 lb Center in the Transfer Portal

HawkHoops80

HR MVP
Gold Member
Mar 20, 2022
Said this elsewhere, but 2 important pieces to watch in the coming weeks:
Kentucky's C Oscar Tshiebwe--NPOTY candidate this year, Avg 32 mins/game last year. Most mocks have him as a 2nd round pick. Does he leave for the NBA?
Arkansas's C Jaylin Williams--Avg 11 & 10 this year and 31 min/game. Also a likely 2nd round pick.
Judging by today's modern game, I doubt Aimaq could play alongside either of these 2 creating a Zach Edey, Trev Williams situation where 1 comes off the bench. No idea what Aimaq's motivations are, but if he wants to start and be the star at either of these schools then he'll need to wait and see some dominoes fall before he makes a decision. I'd put Oscar as 50/50 on coming back and I'd put Williams as 70% likely to come back just based on their draft stock and what I've read from Kentucky/Ark beat writers.

Reactions: icwesthawk

BonzoFury

HR All-State
Feb 4, 2022
Sounds like he is focusing on Arkansas, Kentucky, Iowa, Texas Tech and Washington.
If he's looking at recent success on the National stage we'd be 4th on that list. (yeah, I know Kentucky has had 2 down years...but they're still Kentucky)

Sep 8, 2018
was
Ar

Arkansa just got a commitment from another 5 star the other day so hopefully that will help Iowa.
Right. Finding the right balance of playing time and winning may be a bit tougher to find at UK and Arkansas. I would imagine he would start from day 1 alongside Murray PMac Perkins and whoever wins the PG position. That would be a pretty salty starting 5

2432Hawk

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jun 22, 2002
Pardeeville, WI
What school on that list can honestly claim to have been Tournament team the last 3 to 4 seasons AND featured a NATIONAL player garnering NPOTY accolades 3 consecutive years?

Reactions: Ronman

truehawkfan45

All-Conference
Jan 13, 2020
Man has Arkansas become a player.
2nd best recruiting class next year and apparently looking for more.
That’s what happens when you’re willing to spend money on these kids like every other major program is doing. We haven’t spent $$$ on a kid since Tyler Smith and damn does it show. Spare me the ‘play by the rules’ crowd. It’s the NCAA, the governing body itself is corrupt for gods sake. Nobody is saying we need to become a Memphis and let AAU coaches become assistant coaches overnight, but with NIL in play and how broad those rules are.. just drop a bag already, Fran.

SSG T

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jul 10, 2002
Ar

Arkansa just got a commitment from another 5 star the other day so hopefully that will help Iowa.

Not sure how Arkansas getting another 5* helps Iowa. Talent generally wants to play with talent.

The biggest selling point Iowa has is the individual accolades of Cook/Garza/JoeW/Keegan, and style of play. Hopefully Fran is hammering on those two things.

Reactions: David1979

2432Hawk

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jun 22, 2002
Pardeeville, WI
was

Right. Finding the right balance of playing time and winning may be a bit tougher to find at UK and Arkansas. I would imagine he would start from day 1 alongside Murray PMac Perkins and whoever wins the PG position. That would be a pretty salty starting 5
SF Patrick McCaffrey 6'9" 210lbs Jr
PF Kris Murray 6'8" 225lbs Jr
C Fardaws Aimaq 6'11" 245lbs Jr
OG Tony Perkins 6'4" 210lbs Jr
PG Dasonte Bowen 6'3" 185lbs Fr

SF Payton Sandfort 6'7" 215lbs So
PF Filip Rebraca 6'9" 230lbs Sr
C Riley Mulvey 7'0" 255lbs So
OG Connor McCaffrey 6'5" 215lbs Sr / Josh Dix 6'5" 195lbs Fr
PG Ahron Ulis 6'3" 195lbs Jr

SSG T

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jul 10, 2002
C Farfaes Aimaq 6'11" 245lbs Jr

OG Connor McCaffrey 6'5" 215lbs Sr / Josh Dix 6'5" 195lbs Fr
PG Ahron Ulis 6'3" 195lbs Jr

With either PG starting, that actually would make for a pretty good rotation. I don't know that you'd have a top 4 B1G team, but I could see that team winning some games.

BBHawk

HR Legend
Oct 31, 2001
Iowa City
That’s what happens when you’re willing to spend money on these kids like every other major program is doing. We haven’t spent $$$ on a kid since Tyler Smith and damn does it show. Spare me the ‘play by the rules’ crowd. It’s the NCAA, the governing body itself is corrupt for gods sake. Nobody is saying we need to become a Memphis and let AAU coaches become assistant coaches overnight, but with NIL in play and how broad those rules are.. just drop a bag already, Fran.
Please go away. Kentucky is calling your name.

Last edited:

SSG T

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jul 10, 2002
Pkease go away. Kentucky is calling your name.

I, for one, am absolutely fine with Iowa and the coaching staff doing whatever is with the rules to attract more talent to the Hawks. I'd also be absolutely fine with tip toeing on the "good" side of that line.

Blatantly breaking rules? Absolutely not. Even if they are unenforceable or ignored rules. But there is a really broad range of things they can do to help athletes get money from NIL that doesn't break rules.

BBHawk

HR Legend
Oct 31, 2001
Iowa City
I, for one, am absolutely fine with Iowa and the coaching staff doing whatever is with the rules to attract more talent to the Hawks. I'd also be absolutely fine with tip toeing on the "good" side of that line.

Blatantly breaking rules? Absolutely not. Even if they are unenforceable or ignored rules. But there is a really broad range of things they can do to help athletes get money from NIL that doesn't break rules.
He was talking about what Alford and staff did to get Tyler Smith to Iowa, not legal inducements.

Reactions: SSG T

tippet1

HR All-State
Oct 17, 2002
Not sure how Arkansas getting another 5* helps Iowa. Talent generally wants to play with talent.

The biggest selling point Iowa has is the individual accolades of Cook/Garza/JoeW/Keegan, and style of play. Hopefully Fran is hammering on those two things.
May not have any scholarships available.

HawkHoops80

HR MVP
Gold Member
Mar 20, 2022

Arkansas lands a 6'9 quality transfer. The more I look at what this Arkansas team has, the less minutes I see for Aimaq there to be honest. And with Aimaq clearly having NBA aspirations, I'm willing to bet that playing time with absolutely be a big selling point to him.
Maybe Jaylin Williams does leave (which would be a bad move for him IMO) but their frontcourt is filling up fast.

HawkHoops80

HR MVP
Gold Member
Mar 20, 2022

Article discussing the pickle Arkansas is in regarding scholarships. This was written BEFORE they added Trevon Brazile today through the portal.
In summary: I think we can eliminate the Hogs from the Fardaws Aimaq sweepstakes unless we start seeing a plethora of current Hogs leaving the pen through the portal or NBA announcements. They currently sit at 16 scholarship players for 13 spots...

• Wow
Reactions: perryhawk

Scott559

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Mar 16, 2010
Central Iowa

Article discussing the pickle Arkansas is in regarding scholarships. This was written BEFORE they added Trevon Brazile today through the portal.
In summary: I think we can eliminate the Hogs from the Fardaws Aimaq sweepstakes unless we start seeing a plethora of current Hogs leaving the pen through the portal or NBA announcements. They currently sit at 16 scholarship players for 13 spots...

calculation-math.gif

SEC school, Math checks out, They will be fine.

BonzoFury

HR All-State
Feb 4, 2022
What school on that list can honestly claim to have been Tournament team the last 3 to 4 seasons AND featured a NATIONAL player garnering NPOTY accolades 3 consecutive years?
NPOTY is nice but it's not much of a recruiting angle. That's about the individual. I think more players are interested in playing for a contender that wins in March.

The devil's advocate would say how many programs/coaches can have 2 NPOTY candidates and manage only 2 NCAA tourney wins total in the years they were on the roster.

HawkLogic

HR Legend
Feb 20, 2011

Blatantly breaking rules? Absolutely not. Even if they are unenforceable or ignored rules. But there is a really broadc range of things they can do to help athletes get money from NIL that doesn't break rules.

Not breaking the rules to hire a recruit relative as an assistant, or work with the money in the state to get an NIL program going... I don't see that happening with Barta/Fran.

Polkhawk

Team MVP
Sep 4, 2006
He certainly didn’t have a good game that day but he isn’t “just plain bad”. He’s a role player and most—not all—nights he played that role pretty solid.
Rebraca is better than “just plain bad”. That said, he shouldn’t be a starter in the BIG10. He’s the type of player you should bring off the bench for 10-12 minutes per game.

cidhawkeye

HR Legend
Jun 21, 2009

I believe they were looking at bringing in recently fired Tom Crean to help out

Reactions: CookyMonster

DewHawk

HR All-American
Jun 10, 2005
Rebraca is better than “just plain bad”. That said, he shouldn’t be a starter in the BIG10. He’s the type of player you should bring off the bench for 10-12 minutes per game.
I agree with the above comments. There were games he just looked lost this year.

BBptg5

All-Conference
Apr 19, 2021
”show me the money”. you want Iowa to spend it…where is it?

perryhawk

HR Legend
Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Perry, Iowa
If he's looking at recent success on the National stage we'd be 4th on that list. (yeah, I know Kentucky has had 2 down years...but they're still Kentucky)
Unless we're talking about developing the Center/Post as the National Player of the Year....then we're 1st.

Reactions: BBHawk

Capital1Hawk

HR All-American
Jan 23, 2007
C Fardaws Aimaq 6'11" 245lbs Jr