ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa is No. 1 in new NCAA Women’s Wrestling Poll; North Central next at No. 2

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
There is a new top-ranked team in the latest National Wrestling Coaches Association (NWCA) NCAA Women's Wrestling Coaches' Poll. The University of Iowa sits atop the poll, dropping North Central College to second.

The Hawkeyes top the poll for the first time in program history with 114 points and 13 ranked individuals. North Central has the most individuals ranked with 16, checking in at second. The Cardinals have four individuals ranked at No. 1 while the Iowa has three top-ranked wrestlers. King University is ranked third with 89 points and 12 individuals ranked, while Colorado Mesa University holds steady at fourth with 56 points and eight ranked individuals.

There is a tie for fifth with McKendree University, which is the third team with at least ten ranked individuals with 10. Sacred Heart University has 32 points as well and has eight individuals ranked. Simon Fraser comes into the poll at seventh with 23 points and four ranked individuals.

Lock Haven University and New Jersey City University are eighth and ninth, with 22 and 17 points, respectively. Lock Haven has three ranked individuals, while New Jersey City has two. There is a tie for the final spot in the top 10 with East Stroudsburg University and Aurora University, who both have 16 points. East Stroudsburg has four individuals ranked, while Aurora's one ranked wrestler is ranked No. 1.

The University of the Ozarks joins the poll for the first time this season and second time in program history, checking in at 19th.

Rank/Institution/Total Pts./Ind. Ranked/Previous Rank

1. Iowa 114 13 T-8

2. North Central 110 16 1

3. King 89 12 2

4. Colorado Mesa 56 8 4

5. (tie) Sacred Heart 32 10 5

5. (tie) McKendree 32 8 3

7. Simon Fraser 23 4 NR

8. Lock Haven 22 3 T-8

9. New Jersey City 17 2 T-19

10. (tie) East Stroudsburg 16 4 7

10. (tie) Aurora 16 1 T-13

12. (tie) Presbyterian 15 3 T-13

12. (tie) Northern Michgan 15 2 T-13

14. Gannon 13 2 6

15. Lindenwood 11 4 11

16. UW-Stevens Point 10 2 T-19

17. Augsburg 7 1 18

18. Tiffin 6 1 17

19. Ozarks 3 1 NR

20. Ursinus 2 1 T-19

21. (tie) Emmanuel 1 1 NR

21. (tie) Elmira 1 1 T-22

I think it's going to be kind of cringey the way Iowa - a massive public university - dominates this nascent sport until other big schools get involved.

We are the 800 pound gorilla bullying everyone else.

Oh well.
Went last Sunday, stayed for the first 2 duals. Most matches didn't make it out of the first period, often under a minute. Allowed 1 team point total combined to those 2 teams. It didn't even look fair.

Also I will say I didn't know it was freestyle. Took a minute to get used to.

we should have been #1 from the start

I say we stay on top forever!!!

giphy.gif

I think it's going to be kind of cringey the way Iowa - a massive public university - dominates this nascent sport until other big schools get involved.

Oh well.
Yeah, they're going to have a huge recruiting advantage, and should be able to land any recruit they want until more big schools stat adding women's wrestling.

Didn't Frank Mir's daughter sign with Iowa? What happened to her or is she younger?

Oh well.
On the surface I can see that. But a massive public university getting tons of exposure for the sport is only a good thing down the road. As mentioned, other schools had/have a chance to jump on the train.

Suck it North Central!
I’m getting verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves. Any topic will do. I’ll give you a topic: In the Chicago area, Northwestern is in the north-central suburbs and North Central is in the northwestern suburbs. Discuss.

PS - North Central has a really nice D2 stadium across the river from downtown Naperville (only D2 one nicer I’ve seen is Missouri Western, home of Chiefs training camp). It’s so nice, the Chicago Fire expanded it and played there for a season and a half waiting for Soldier Field to be rennovated. Saw many great games there, and loved the bars and restaurants within walking distance downtown:
9833e5e742bf02ab241f69e0b8912510.jpg

Cardinalstadium-375x233.jpg

Reactions: TailgateTom
The #1 girl in the country and (I believe) defending National Champ is at her weight.
So is she on the team or in high school coming next year? I thought I saw a graphic of ranked team members and didn’t see her.

So is she on the team or in high school coming next year? I thought I saw a graphic of ranked team members and didn’t see her.
They might be red-shirting her. Not sure yet. Marlynne Deede is the defending national champion and #1 at 155, and Haley Ward was listed at 155, but she's now the #7 ranked wrestler at 170, behind Hawkeye teammate Kylie Welker. Perhaps Coach Chun was waiting to see if Ward could handle wrestling up a weight before putting Mir in? Mir is destined for MMA and using wrestling as a stepping stone, so it sounds like she's a bit more raw, and you can have two scoring wrestlers per weight at nationals in women's college wrestling. We shall see.

She's on the team, listed as a sophomore.

She's not ranked, Marlynne Deede is ranked #1 and listed as a ranked team member.

North Central? As in Division III North Central in Naperville, IL that will likely win every game in the Division III playoffs by at least 3 touchdowns this year? Is there only 1 division in women's wrestling?

Oh well.
Thought about that too when I saw the other schools. It’s kind of like Women’s Bowling— there’s Nebraska and Vanderbilt then Augsburg and Mercyhurst.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Thought about that too when I saw the other schools. It’s kind of like Women’s Bowling— there’s Nebraska and Vanderbilt then Augsburg and Mercyhurst.
Mount Mercy University in Cedar Rapids, St. Ambrose in Davenport, and McKendree in Illinois are all big bowling schools. I’ve seen each in national championships on TV.

McKendree is also big into wrestling. Trying to get in on those obscure women’s sports like Lindenwood in Missouri as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT