ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa javelin thrower Marissa Mueller named Rhodes Scholar

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
AR-201129914.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=900

University of Iowa javelin thrower Marissa Mueller was named Monday one of 11 Canadian Rhodes scholars, launching her graduate study in surgical sciences at Oxford University in England.

Mueller, 20, of Petrolia, Ontario, Canada, told The Gazette earlier this month she understands why the Rhodes Scholarship, one of the world’s most prestigious academic awards, often goes to college athletes.

“The more I think about it, sports and school, sports and science, there’s so much overlap,” said Mueller, a UI senior studying biomedical engineering.

“When I’m throwing javelin for Iowa track and field, you have to think technically, listen to your coach, be adaptable, be patient, manage your time and work with your teammates. You have to improve and learn how to deal with failure and success,” she said.

“You do the exact same thing in school. Instead of using barbells, you’ve got hundreds of pounds of textbooks and exams. It’s the material you are learning. It’s an analogous skill set. Being involved in both has made me better at each.”

Mueller will join more than 100 scholars from more than 60 countries at Oxford in August. The 32 American Rhodes scholars were announced Saturday.

“The Scholarships call for and recognize a set of timeless virtues — intellectual excellence, strength of character, energy to strive, commitment to serve and instinct to lead,” said Richard Pan, the Canadian secretary of the Rhodes Trust and chair for the Rhodes scholarships in Canada. “We are proud of the opportunities that the Scholarships provide to our most talented, passionate and charismatic university graduates.”

The Rhodes Scholarship, created in 1903, is awarded based on applications, university endorsements, reference letters and a final interview that happened virtually on Saturday.

Mueller has been an athlete since she was a young child, playing soccer, volleyball and track and field before trying the javelin when she was in high school.

“It kind of just leapt off my hand,” she said.

When she throws the javelin, Mueller inhales, brings back her arm, arcs her back and lets the spear fly.

“As soon as you release it, you know whether or not it’s going to be a good throw,” she said, comparing the feeling to driving through the big gold coin on the Mario Kart video game. “That’s the feeling that makes you want to come back and keep doing it.”

But throwing javelin at Iowa has had its challenges.

Mueller had back injuries her freshman year and lost some of her sophomore season. At the Big Ten finals last spring, she tore her rotator cuff and labrum, the rubbery tissue that keeps the shoulder joint in place. Mueller had shoulder surgery this past summer and now has regular physical therapy as part of her training.

“My shoulder feels the best that it has since last year at Big Ten,” she said. “I’m really optimistic I will be able to give it my all for this final go-round. COVID permitted.”

The Big Ten in March canceled all spring sports, including track and field, for 2020. Fall seasons for most UI sports were canceled, but Track and Field still is scheduled to have a spring season in 2021.

Mueller has maintained a 4.0 grade-point average through rigorous classes and extracurricular activities, such as being chairwoman of the Iowa Student Athlete Advisory Committee.

How does she do it all?
“I said no beer, no bars, no boys,” she said, but added: “That’s not hard and fast.”

In April, Mueller was one of two UI undergraduates to receive the Hancher-Finkbine Medallion, the highest campuswide award recognizing learning, leadership and loyalty, the UI reported. She is thought to be the first female student-athlete to receive the award in school history.

Other college athletes who became Rhodes scholars include:
1959: Pete Dawkins, halfback at the U.S. Military Academy, Heisman Award winner and military hero

1965: Bill Bradley, who played basketball at Princeton before joining the NBA (and later running for president)

1997: Annette Salmeen, Olympic gold medalist in swimming and UCLA graduate

2008: Myron Rolle, Florida State University safety who now is a neurosurgeon

2014: Jessica Glennie, University of Texas Austin rower and architecture student

2019: Madison Tung, first female wrestler and wrestling national champion at the U.S. Air Force Academy

Recent UI Rhodes scholars are Austin Hughes, 2019; Jeffrey Ding, 2016; and Renugan Raidoo, 2011, the UI reported.

i was gonna make a joke about throwing my javelin into her -- sight unseen. Glad I didn't. Big lesbian vibes there

Wow, talk about uninformed. Know her personally and she is a fantastic young woman. You couldn’t be further from the truth with your assumptions.

What, lesbians are less likely to be fantastic people? You did that to yourself.

What, lesbians are less likely to be fantastic people? You did that to yourself.
Not sure your objective, but your ignorance is impressive. Also, once again, you couldn’t be further off base. I do wonder at times what sort of an empty life it must be to have an internet persona such as yours.

Congratulations to Marissa!

Reactions: funksouljon
Not sure your objective, but your ignorance is impressive. Also, once again, you couldn’t be further off base. I do wonder at times what sort of an empty life it must be to have an internet persona such as yours.

Congratulations to Marissa!

My original post:
i was gonna make a joke about throwing my javelin into her -- sight unseen. Glad I didn't. Big lesbian vibes there

Let me break it down for you.

"i was gonna make a joke about throwing my javelin into her -- sight unseen." -- typical crass HROT comment directed towards basically any picture of a female that appears. The joke itself was a bit of commentary on this.

"Big lesbian vibes there" -- bit of a stretch there. Typical female athlete without makeup.

" Glad I didn't." -- because I made the joke she's a lesbian.

Obviously this wasn't taking a shot at lesbians or the girl personally.

It was a typical shitpost on HROT. You been here long?

Get over yourself :)

Reactions: artradley
I'm no expert on what a lesbian looks like (If they have a specific look?) but I didn't get that vibe at all.
congratulations Marissa.
oh, and definitely wood.

I'm no expert on what a lesbian looks like (If they have a specific look?) but I didn't get that vibe at all.
congratulations Marissa.
oh, and definitely wood.

Look, sometimes you just tack on shit to make the joke work. It's not like I even thought there were major lesbian vibes. I just wanted the javelin line and was lazy. What I said was maybe ballpark, but nothing I exactly will argue hard for. Drive by shitpost

Congrats to her. Engineering major, so assume she's smart. Javelin thrower, strong of body also. Definite hrot material if she isn't with us already.

Congrats to her. Engineering major, so assume she's smart. Javelin thrower, strong of body also. Definite hrot material if she isn't with us already.

Yeah, except she is genuinely smart and genuinely strong. That is different than HROT smart and strong.

Reactions: mnole03
Being a lesbian would not preclude her from being a fantastic young woman, which I am sure she is.
Never did I imply she was a lesbian nor that her qualities as an individual had a thing to do with her sexuality. I responded to terrible assumptions. My point was that uninformed opinions that are attacking a person are inappropriate. She is one of the highest caliber individuals out there and is a beautiful young woman to match.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT