ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa K-State game thread 11/17 8PM ESPN+

The fact of the matter is, we are only going as far as Clark and Czinano take us. Very mediocre role players after that. If these role players can't even defend, I'm not sure how high our ceiling actually is. I think Stuelke will come around to being a great spark off the bench. Sweet 16 team still seems realistic by the end of the season which is still nothing to be upset about if it were to happen.

Free throws are easily the most efficient shot in basketball for a good free throw shooter. Kansas State had 21 fouls tonight and I'd guess Clark drew at least 60% of them. She shot 16 free throws total. With the way the game was being called, driving and trying to draw fouls was absolutely the best strategy.

She drew 9 of the 21 fouls.

Reactions: natchrlman
Lack of defense is/has been known for some time now, this isn't surprising. But what happened to the 3-point shot with last years' team/this years' team. 32% thus far this year for players who get consistent minutes is poor by Iowa standards, and besides some end of clock situations it seems the shots have been fairly open.

The fact of the matter is, we are only going as far as Clark and Czinano take us. Very mediocre role players after that. If these role players can't even defend, I'm not sure how high our ceiling actually is. I think Stuelke will come around to being a great spark off the bench. Sweet 16 team still seems realistic by the end of the season which is still nothing to be upset about if it were to happen.
This is the reality, but folks seem upset that the role players aren't really good every game. They aren't capable of being very good every game, or they would have done it in the last 2+ years the roster has been together.

A generational type talent, who can get off her shot anytime, but is also prone to stretches of very inefficient play. One of the most efficient post players in the Big 10, ever, but also doesn't really defend or rebound. And beyond that they hope to get some good play on any given night.

Stulke is only going to get better….. to my untrained eye she brings toughness rebounding and defense….. glad to see her getting some minutes

they ran into a buzz saw and like we all know will get everyone’s best shot with the lofty ranking……I’m still excited for the season….. a little early to overreact…… time to regroup

Last edited:
Have to respect how K-State played last night. Rode 3 athletic mismatches to 66 (out of 84) points. Would love if Bluder could snag some tall, athletic perimeter players like Sundell. Iowa also missed Taiwo and Feuerbach last night in terms of perimeter defense. Molly Davis helps on the offense end, but was another liability last night on the defensive end. Until Wetering is given a chance and proves she can help on defense (I am optimistic that she can), Iowa's perimeter defense is going to be worse this year.

Last night also makes you wonder who else Bluder went after in the portal. K-State snagged Gregory and Shematsi in the portal.

The fact of the matter is, we are only going as far as Clark and Czinano take us
Strongly disagree with this premise. Warnock is seriously underutilized IMO.

I will not disagree that CC and MC are the core leaders/scorers but Warnock is/can be a potent weapon and she will have favorable match-ups in most games - will the coaches exploit that advantage when it is presented is the question. If they do, that should make the Clark-Cizano duo even more effective because it will add another level of complexity that opposing defenses have to deal with.

Putting some situational defenders on the court would also help.

Reactions: crstuff
This team needs a leader...a bulldog to get them through the rough times in game. Caitlin is great, but it just seems like this team lacks toughness in tight spots. Saw it against Creighton, so it again last night.
Wonder if Tony Perkins has a sister ;)

You're such a sweet heart. Glad you have nothing else to do but bitch...Good for you...
thank-you-the-hangover.gif

There is a dearth of good referees at every level. More so on the women's side than the men's. The refs that end up doing college games start out doing middle school and high school games. The experience there from fans, is well, less than ideal. So not surprising that many don't stay with it.
If there are more good referees in women's CBB, then they should start doing more Iowa games............thanks in advance! :D

Role players seem to have regressed this year (Martin, Gabby and Warnock). Their improvement will be the key to the season.
I haven't given up on Warnock yet - I think she's quietly productive. When given scoring opportunities she takes them. I think Gabby and Martin need a reduction in minutes in favor of Stuelke - I combine the Martin/Marshall minutes and then look at the stat line - poor shooting, minimal rebounding - not sure what the positives are. Though Stuelke had 3 TO's and is prone to fouling she produces when she's on the court and there is no denying that.

Reactions: crstuff
Strongly disagree with this premise. Warnock is seriously underutilized IMO.

I will not disagree that CC and MC are the core leaders/scorers but Warnock is/can be a potent weapon and she will have favorable match-ups in most games - will the coaches exploit that advantage when it is presented is the question. If they do, that should make the Clark-Cizano duo even more effective because it will add another level of complexity that opposing defenses have to deal with.

Putting some situational defenders on the court would also help.
Who are these situational defenders you want out there? Our bench is just as slow as our starters.

Reactions: Incredible Hawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT