ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa-Kansas State Series

Mar 14, 2003
KSU has a potent offense, very potent. It will be tough for Iowa to win this series.

It looks like Dermody, Hanse, Kuebel in that order for the weekend. It looks like Fridays game is now at 3:05pm instead of 6:05pm with 1:05 on Saturday and Sunday at 3:30pm in Des Moines. Sundays game in DSM could be in question, looks like a 60% chance of storms throughout the day.

I wish Dahm would quit adjusting the rotation. I don't like Dermody on Friday because I feel he is our best chance to win every weekend and our offense vs other teams Friday starters is not a good matchup typically. I think Hanse has solidified himself in the rotation the remainder of the year, and as it stands now Iowa doesn't have a third starter, so until someone proves themselves you have to go with Kuebel despite his struggles. He still has the ability to throw gems.

Andrew Hedrick has been missing in action so far this year it seems? He's only thrown five innings in four games. He is by no means an all american, but he would provide more depth. Is he injured?

Frankly, you have to keep Kuebel in the rotation and hope he can find his mojo. I've wondered about Hedrick's absence. He had a great summer in the Northwoods League and I thought he would step up into a consistent midweek starter this year.

Very solid victory for Iowa who is now 12-16. KSU was 24-10 on the year and playing some good baseball this year.

Iowa wins 6-1 and outhit KSU 11-7.

Dermody was helped by a stiff wind blowing straight in from left field, but he did what he had to do to get the win. I thought it was interesting on Sunday, there was not one mound visit made through 4 1/3 and the Hawks by that time had given up 5 runs on 11 hits and several walks. Sandquist was outstanding; should have been brought in earlier.
This post was edited on 4/16 4:01 PM by Thegipper

Just a little DYK, two native Fort Dodge all-state HS baseball players competed in this series last weekend.

Sandquist, of course, pitching for Iowa who went to FD Senior High and Joey Flattery (FD St. Edmond) who pitched in Friday's game for K-State.

Flattery's younger brother, Neil, is a freshman on the Iowa track team.

Originally posted by GoHawks2009:

Just a little DYK, two native Fort Dodge all-state HS baseball players competed in this series last weekend.

Sandquist, of course, pitching for Iowa who went to FD Senior High and Joey Flattery (FD St. Edmond) who pitched in Friday's game for K-State.

It's amazing at some of the D1 talent that leaves the state of Iowa. Even if we got 1/3 of these guys the baseball program would be in much better shape.

Originally posted by IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life:

It's amazing at some of the D1 talent that leaves the state of Iowa. Even if we got 1/3 of these guys the baseball program would be in much better shape.
Joey's twin, Jon, was the NSIC player of the week after going 8-16 with three homeruns in their weekend series. As to keeping talent in state, it's tough with guys who go the JUCO route, at least in my opinion.

They're cousins actually.

But yeah usually with guys who start on the JUCO path will either not get a lot of high D1 offers unless they really impress in their first two years and then they will often jump at whoever comes calling, as these opportunities can be (and usually are) limited.

Slightly OT, but K-State won the Big 12 regular season title.
KSU was pretty salty offensively this year, Matt Dermody did a great job shutting them down.

Texas finished dead last in the Big 12 this year going 7-17 in conference.

This post was edited on 5/19 9:55 PM by IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life

ADVERTISEMENT