ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Lawmaker Plans Bill To Force Big 4 Into Playing Annually

I understand it, keep money in the state and potentially lessen the tax payer burden that the UNI athletic program has.

However, total waste of time. Use that time to decide more important lawmaker issues.

The Iowa Regents board could push Iowa/ISU a little, but their athletic programs have very little subsidized money from the state.

This particular lawmaker also happens to be a UNI alumnus....go figure. :rolleyes:

Article

This particular lawmaker also happens to be a UNI alumnus....go figure. :rolleyes:

Article
why not make it a 2 day event where we play UNI on Sat and Drake Sun (and ISU does the same)?

just a thought

i really thought having this in Des Moines would have been a popular event. it was close for ISU & Drake fans and it allowed Des Moines area Hawk fans an opportunity to easily attend an Iowa game.

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
This lawmaker missed the big one.

Force all institutions to share TV revenue since the state owns them all.

why not make it a 2 day event where we play UNI on Sat and Drake Sun (and ISU does the same)?

just a thought

i really thought having this in Des Moines would have been a popular event. it was close for ISU & Drake fans and it allowed Des Moines area Hawk fans an opportunity to easily attend an Iowa game.

This should be your clue that nobody really cares if UI and ISU play UNI and Drake or not.

just a thought

It’s not popular because drake and uni fans are pissed about losing the home games and no one wants to watch the other game of the day.

just a thought

That would make it even worse. Nobody is spending the day there, why the heck are they going to spend their whole weekend there less than 2 weeks before Christmas? The fact that it's on a weekend already crowded with bowl games and better games doesn't help it's TV exposure. The only time this was remotely interesting to people outside of Iowa was when UNI was at the peak of their run.

There is no benefit to Iowa for playing UNI.

UNI's NET ranking is #251 so far this year. Everyone bitches about Iowa playing the sub-300 teams; playing UNI on a neutral court seems better than Savannah St or whoever at home.

Just my 2 cents....

UNI's NET ranking is #251 so far this year. Everyone bitches about Iowa playing the sub-300 teams; playing UNI on a neutral court seems better than Savannah St or whoever at home.

Just my 2 cents....

Of course it is. That’s also not the point. You know what’s better than the big four? Playing Cincinnati in Chicago.

We haven’t said we aren’t going to play UNI. We just don’t want to be locked into an annual event

just a thought

Hell to the no. Thought it was a great idea and was pumped. Went the first year and never returned. Don't care one bit about the other game. Not paying $70 for a ticket to a half full arena with bad atmosphere.

Making it a two day event would make even less people attend. If Drake and UNI want to play, they can come to our arena and they can get paid to do so like other teams. Iowa and Clown U should not be beholden to a couple of small universities, for any reason.

Reactions: natewantofbees
Didn't lawmakers do that to Iowa in football back in the late 70s? Threatening to force us to play ISU? Seems familiar. Way too lazy to research that one.

Iowa lawmakers apparently don't have enough to do. This reminds me of one of my kids getting involved with some extracurricular project and using that as an excuse to not do his homework.

Reactions: buudhawk
Danielson is an idiot IMO for even voicing his opinion on legislatively forcing these games to occur. He needs to shut his pie-hole and focus on the State of Iowa and its citizens needs, and this isn't one of them.

That being said, I'd be absolutely fine with the hawks playing UNI & Drake every year, but it needs to be at Carver. Here's your check for $100,000 and we'll see you next season.

Reactions: doughuddl2
Make it a tournament with Iowa/Iowa St alternating hosting and split revenue at the door and the host keeping concessions revenue. Round 1 Iowa/ISU and Drake/UNI with a championship and consolation bracket

I took my youngest son to the event this year. We enjoyed both games but really surprised at the large number of empty seats since it was the last one.

Reactions: Franisdaman
So we want "government" to set college sports schedules? Next thing on the agenda will be a requirement that the schedule include only teams from schools ; 1) with a certain level of Title 9 compliance, 2) with a certain % of cis gendered athletes, or 3) with less than 80% native born scholarship athletes. Maybe, particular size specifications per position (like wrestling) so that little people can play the game!

This is a classic example of why the Iowa State Legislature only meets for a short while each year. They have nothing to do and then think up cheap ways to keep their name in the press so they get re-elected. Total waste of time.
I know things are going well for the state of Iowa but surely their are other items that he could attend to. Like showing a calf or pig at the state fair for example.

Reactions: ih8iast8
There is plenty to do without clogging it up with sports related crap.

This is a classic example of why the Iowa State Legislature only meets for a short while each year. They have nothing to do and then think up cheap ways to keep their name in the press so they get re-elected. Total waste of time.
I know things are going well for the state of Iowa but surely their are other items that he could attend to. Like showing a calf or pig at the state fair for example.

Reactions: ih8iast8
Make it a tournament with Iowa/Iowa St alternating hosting and split revenue at the door and the host keeping concessions revenue. Round 1 Iowa/ISU and Drake/UNI with a championship and consolation bracket

I would love to see it in a tournament format. UNI and Drake in the same conference stops that idea though. Unless they plan on playing each other three times in a season.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
There is no benefit to Iowa for playing UNI. Also there is no benefit to Iowans by having a legislator such as Jeff Danielson serving in our legislature. What an ignorant person.
Jilted lover syndrome.

Get over yourself Jeff. You know the reason Jeff. I wish Barta would say "we were hosed and not coming back".

Reactions: hooper56
Hell to the no. Thought it was a great idea and was pumped. Went the first year and never returned. Don't care one bit about the other game. Not paying $70 for a ticket to a half full arena with bad atmosphere.

Making it a two day event would make even less people attend. If Drake and UNI want to play, they can come to our arena and they can get paid to do so like other teams. Iowa and Clown U should not be beholden to a couple of small universities, for any reason.

The reason that the Big 4 ended and the rotating home and home games ended is because Iowa and Iowa State didn't want to go play at Drake and at UNI. Period. End of story. Iowa State wouldn't come out and say it publicly, but they never have voiced disagreement with Iowa taking the lead on not going to play at UNI or Drake anymore. Iowa and Iowa State have a difficult enough time making a name for themselves in their conferences or nationally without giving UNI and Drake equal footing in the state. No one else in the country agrees to play at a non-P5 team every other year for perpetuity. Yes, Colorado plays Colorado State every year, but sometimes that is on a neutral court and that's kind of the equivalent of Iowa and Iowa State playing if ISU ever moved to the Mountain West. Iowa and Iowa State have to do what's best for their programs, not what's best for UNI and Drake.

As long as Iowa uses getting out of the Big 4 deal to add in a semi-interesting non-conference opponent, I'm good with it. Next year Iowa is playing against Cincinnati. That's good.

I know Jeff. His love for UNI is no secret. I like the guy but this is a stupid idea. Basketball scheduling does not belong in government. I wish Iowa played UNI every year in a home and home, but JD needs to keep this out of politics.

I know Jeff. His love for UNI is no secret. I like the guy but this is a stupid idea. Basketball scheduling does not belong in government. I wish Iowa played UNI every year in a home and home, but JD needs to keep this out of politics.
tell me why you think Iowa should play at UNI every other year? Would we play at any other mid major even in a 1 for 1? UNI only has UNI to blame for this and it has nothing to do with Iowa afraid it will get beat by them.

I said I WISH would they would play a home and home but I don’t expect it to happen. I was at the disaster at the McLeod Center and while the whole thing was disgusting, I hope that situation is keeping Iowa from playing in Cedar Falls.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT