ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa lawmakers OK deer hunting with semi-automatic rifles

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Deer hunters would be able to use semi-automatic rifles during a newly created antlerless season in January under a bill approved by lawmakers Tuesday and sent to the governor.

The measure given final approval by the House is designed to help control the deer population and respond to complaints that excess deer eat corn and are hazardous to motorists.

“The purpose of this season is not to hunt for sport but to manage the size of the herd, which is why more efficient and effective firearms are being authorized,” said Republican Sen. Ken Rozenboom, of Oskaloosa

Advertisement

Charles City Democratic Rep. Todd Prichard, a former active-duty U.S. Army soldier and now a lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army Reserve, opposed the bill. He noted the AR-15-type rifles allowed for hunting were similar to those he was trained to use in the military and that ammunition authorized in the bill can travel up to 2½ miles.

He said he had about 200 hours of basic rifle marksmanship training to learn how to handle similar weapons and be combat certified.

Prichard said his home is close enough to the edge of town that such weapons fired from hunting areas near Charles City could put his family within the reach of bullets fired from such weapons.

Deer hunting with AR-15 rifles is allowed in other states. Many states have restrictions for when they can be used and regulate the type of ammunition allowed.

Jesus, riding bike on trails is dangerous enough during shotgun season. Bunch of pack hunters herding deer while others pump through round after round.

I would rather they expand bow season and promote that.

rifle rounds likely can carry massive distances. Well beyond the groves frequently hunted.

I'm not a hunter, but I would think being the guy hunting with an AR-15 would be like the guy who wears $500 worth of hiking equipment to take a mile hike on a paved trail.
No, and this is just more ignorance. The standard "ar" shoots a 22 caliber bullet. (.223). The DNR has already said that round is not effective enough in killing for deer. It would allow "ar 10" a larger frame, much more expensive rifle to be used. That may be similar to the 500 dollar guy.

Deer hunters would be able to use semi-automatic rifles during a newly created antlerless season in January under a bill approved by lawmakers Tuesday and sent to the governor.

The measure given final approval by the House is designed to help control the deer population and respond to complaints that excess deer eat corn and are hazardous to motorists.

“The purpose of this season is not to hunt for sport but to manage the size of the herd, which is why more efficient and effective firearms are being authorized,” said Republican Sen. Ken Rozenboom, of Oskaloosa

Advertisement

Charles City Democratic Rep. Todd Prichard, a former active-duty U.S. Army soldier and now a lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army Reserve, opposed the bill. He noted the AR-15-type rifles allowed for hunting were similar to those he was trained to use in the military and that ammunition authorized in the bill can travel up to 2½ miles.

He said he had about 200 hours of basic rifle marksmanship training to learn how to handle similar weapons and be combat certified.

Prichard said his home is close enough to the edge of town that such weapons fired from hunting areas near Charles City could put his family within the reach of bullets fired from such weapons.

Deer hunting with AR-15 rifles is allowed in other states. Many states have restrictions for when they can be used and regulate the type of ammunition allowed.

E pluribus unum!!

No, and this is just more ignorance. The standard "ar" shoots a 22 caliber bullet. (.223). The DNR has already said that round is not effective enough in killing for deer. It would allow "ar 10" a larger frame, much more expensive rifle to be used. That may be similar to the 500 dollar guy.
I thought of asking if an AR bullet was big enough to kill a deer. I didn't think so but then I thought about how it did enough damage to a kid to make them need to do DNA testing to identify them, it could kill a deer as well. But I'm no expert on these things.

I thought of asking if an AR bullet was big enough to kill a deer. I didn't think so but then I thought about how it did enough damage to a kid to make them need to do DNA testing to identify them, it could kill a deer as well. But I'm no expert on these things.
It's one of the craziest things about the AR. The guys in the military thought they were plastic kids toys and hated them because they had zero penetrarion power in the jungles of Vietnam. Our own DNR says they are not big enough to kill deer. The thing they are best at killing is a 2 pound ground squirrel or a 50 pound coyote, and yet they are the preferred firearm of ****ing whack jobs. The military is going away from the AR platform because it isn't lethal enough. Weird dynamic.

Reactions: cigaretteman
There are much more effective ways of reducing the size of the herd than allowing gomers and goobers culling them with automatic weapons.
An AR-15 isn't an automatic weapon unless it's been altered. Automatic weapons are not typically legal for hunting, and require a special ATF license to possess legally.

Reactions: h-hawk
Make up some more shit, please, it's entertaining.

Should just be 12 and 20 gauge slugs.
If your drunk army can’t “harvest” enough that way I guess it’s Casey’s Pizza for dinner.
It's late season so the shots are further, they are doing this for herd management, slugs tumble and roll when they hit the ground, bullets tend to hit something abd break into pieces. (Due to higher velocity, design, and less mass)

Reactions: ClarindaA's
It's one of the craziest things about the AR. The guys in the military thought they were plastic kids toys and hated them because they had zero penetrarion power in the jungles of Vietnam. Our own DNR says they are not big enough to kill deer. The thing they are best at killing is a 2 pound ground squirrel or a 50 pound coyote, and yet they are the preferred firearm of ****ing whack jobs. The military is going away from the AR platform because it isn't lethal enough. Weird dynamic.
The "thought" behind developing a .223 caliber weapon for battle in Vietnam, was to wound rather than kill as the logistics in that environment to deal with WIAs would be a bigger logistical nightmare than tagging and bagging.

There are much more effective ways of reducing the size of the herd than allowing gomers and goobers culling them with automatic weapons.
Do these methods generate 100,000s of thousands of dollars for the state

It's late season so the shots are further, they are doing this for herd management, slugs tumble and roll when they hit the ground, bullets tend to hit something abd break into pieces. (Due to higher velocity, design, and less mass)
I will say a I hate it because many bucks will have dropped their antlers by this point. Do it in September

There were 5 counties that had a January late season antlerless this year that you could hunt with rifles although I'm unsure about the semi automatic aspect. I used to hunt it in Decatur county.

What kind of damage does a .223 do with 3000+ FPS muzzle velocity? There's a key difference between a normal .22 LR and an AR shooting a similar round.

People successfully kill deer with AR-15s shooting .223.

AR ownership can be equated to an inferiority complex.

"I'm a badass cause I have a big gun".
Do tell. My .30-30 lever action is bigger than the typical AR-15, and shoots was bigger bullets. I would have been badass in the old west though. Disclaimer - most old west lever actions were chambered in .44 .

Reactions: WisestIowan

Advertisement

I'm pretty much an agnostic when it comes to guns and hunting. I've never even shot one, but I don't particularly have anything against them.

Question for those who know something about the topic: is there anything particularly magical that "semiautomatic" status brings to the table w/r/t hunting? My understanding is simply that you can squeeze off one shot at a time, which is functionally what you do with a "manual" gun. Am i wrong?

I'm pretty much an agnostic when it comes to guns and hunting. I've never even shot one, but I don't particularly have anything against them.

Question for those who know something about the topic: is there anything particularly magical that "semiautomatic" status brings to the table w/r/t hunting? My understanding is simply that you can squeeze off one shot at a time, which is functionally what you do with a "manual" gun. Am i wrong?
Semi-auto doesn't require any action to chamber a round. It's just squeezing the trigger. Bolt or lever action is manually chambering a round between shots.

Semi-auto doesn't require any action to chamber a round. It's just squeezing the trigger. Bolt or lever action is manually chambering a round between shots.
OK. So shoot slower, but still one at a time?

And if that's the case, so what?

What kind of damage does a .223 do with 3000+ FPS muzzle velocity? There's a key difference between a normal .22 LR and an AR shooting a similar round.

People successfully kill deer with AR-15s shooting .223.
You can shoot them with 22lr in some states. Our DNR has stated we cannot as that round is not efficient enough.

OK. So shoot slower, but still one at a time?

And if that's the case, so what?
From a purely technical perspective, you are correct. Some will argue that people shooting a semi-auto are more indiscriminate with their shots because they can fire faster, without potentially taking their eyes off the target. While it's possible to chamber a round with a bolt or lever action with the gun still on your shoulder, that takes a little practice.

From my perspective, the objective should be to kill the deer as efficiently and humanely as possible. I personally wouldn't choose a .223 for anything bigger than a coyote. My choices would be .30-06, .30-.30, or .308 for deer. Most AR style rifles are .223.

From a purely technical perspective, you are correct. Some will argue that people shooting a semi-auto are more indiscriminate with their shots because they can fire faster, without potentially taking their eyes off the target. While it's possible to chamber a round with a bolt or lever action with the gun still on your shoulder, that takes a little practice.

From my perspective, the objective should be to kill the deer as efficiently and humanely as possible. I personally wouldn't choose a .223 for anything bigger than a coyote. My choices would be .30-06, .30-.30, or .308 for deer. Most AR style rifles are .223.
thx. That sounds suspiciously like mere conjecture (though plausible), but it also seems a bit of a paradox in that there might be some benefit to actually keeping one's eyes on the target.

As for the second paragraph, 220, 221, whatever it takes...

Advertisement

Sigh.

ADVERTISEMENT