ADVERTISEMENT

IOWA Loses 2021 NCAA Division I Swimming & Diving Championships & the $1.5 million Economic impact. Greensboro Aquatic Center will Host Instead

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Oct 6, 2020 UPDATE:

The Greensboro Aquatic Center will be awarded the 2021 NCAA Men’s Swimming Championships.

ORIGINAL POST:

And don't forget that cutting the 4 sports saves only $5 million annually.

Last edited:
I don't think any sports should be cut.
I don't either.

These schools are basically saying "well because we don't get that football revenue, we can't have tennis and swimming"...................da fuq?

That's not just on the NCAA or conference commissioners. That's on the system as a whole for becoming so reliant on certain revenue streams to support the existence of all other sports, when it wasn't at all like that for decades.

It's really only become an issue over the last 30 years or so. They (the colleges) made money into the main reason to justify the existence (or not) of a given sport, and that is f***ing wrong.

It’s too bad that everyone feels like they can ride the coattails of football. There are no rules keeping the Olympic sports from being strong fundraisers and marketers.

Reactions: pahawk68
So I spoke with someone who is very close to the situation at another BIG program, they are pretty upset that the Iowa AD made this announcement without any heads up to any of the other BIG programs. These cuts have a great affect on the other schools teams in regards to conference and competitive viability. They believe that the Iowa AD is taking full advantage of the Covid excuse and not communicating with other schools is a break with proper protocols.
One of my biggest issues is why Iowa was in such a rush to make this announcement, it is not like these athletes could move on this year anyway and maybe by communicating with these teams and others within conference there might have been a way to save some of these programs.

So I spoke with someone who is very close to the situation at another BIG program, they are pretty upset that the Iowa AD made this announcement without any heads up to any of the other BIG programs. These cuts have a great affect on the other schools teams in regards to conference and competitive viability. They believe that the Iowa AD is taking full advantage of the Covid excuse and not communicating with other schools is a break with proper protocols.
One of my biggest issues is why Iowa was in such a rush to make this announcement, it is not like these athletes could move on this year anyway and maybe by communicating with these teams and others within conference there might have been a way to save some of these programs.
great post.

Iowa only saves $5 million per year by cutting these 4 programs

Remember what they paid Jane Meyer & Tracy Griesbaum because of Barta's incompetence? $6.5 million.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
great post.

Remember what they paid Jane Meyer & Tracy Griesbaum because of Barta's incompetence? $6.5 million.

That $5mm per year covers the repayment of the loan to keep things afloat without cutting other sports or staff. This isn’t hard.

Reactions: HerkyHopeful

So they wanted the AD to tell other schools before they told their own coaches and athletes?

That is absurd.

Reactions: HerkyHopeful
Most of these people are continuing to ignore reality. This needed to be done YEARS ago. They wouldn’t be in this position. The idea that these sports were at the top of the priority list if cuts ever needed to be made shouldn’t have been a surprise to any stakeholder.

Most of these people are continuing to ignore reality. This needed to be done YEARS ago. They wouldn’t be in this position. The idea that these sports were at the top of the priority list if cuts ever needed to be made shouldn’t have been a surprise to any stakeholder.

The NCAA told Iowa today that they have not pulled the event from them. Not sure why the OP is claiming otherwise without evidence.

The NCAA told Iowa today that they have not pulled the event from them. Not sure why the OP is claiming otherwise without evidence.

Im guessing it’s similar to the reason why some folks involved think that raising 1.6mm (about 30% of what’s needed for one year of operations) somehow solves a long term problem.

There is no actual plan, just a bunch of emotional bitching. Which is unfortunate because it would be nice to keep these sports. I would even throw a little bit of money towards. Of course, I haven’t been asked, because there is no actual plan.

So they wanted the AD to tell other schools before they told their own coaches and athletes?

That is absurd.

For a person who acts like he is so smart, sit back and think about this for a minute. Yes the AD's do speak with other school AD's on a regular basis,(do you think they don't discuss items before always bringing them their own coaches and athletes), then when it comes to sports like mens gymnastics or swimming where not all BIG schools already sponsor teams, them eliminating these programs has a direct effect on the rest of conference as it could mean that the BIG would no longer have enough teams to actually put on a Championship. In regards to gymnastics if Minnesota does indeed cut their program then the BIG will not be holding BIG Championships. Which yes this would tend to upset the other schools.
To add a followup on W&M, the AD just resigned yesterday(or was basically fired) because of how she handled the whole cutting sports issue, plagiarizing the press release, skewing financial numbers to present much worse results. Also right after being hired she hired consulting firm that she previously had a personal and working relationship with, one who also had been actively been helping build her resume up to get her into higher National committees... This consulting firm was basically giving marching orders as to come to a conclusion that the AD wanted to use to eliminate these sports.
Not saying yet that those sports will be reinstated, but now they are going to actually have an inclusive and honest discussions about the future of the athletic programs.

Iowa don't give up hope, it can and does happen!
W&M just announced that they are reinstating all the previously cut mens sports, last week they had announced they were reinstating the previous cut women sports. So I guess Legend a Childless that there are people out there that do care.
Also last month the AD resigned(was basically fired) for her total incompetence and lies regarding her initial recommendation of cutting those sports.
Granted there is much more work to do to keep all these reinstatements to stay permanent, but when you are upfront and include the community and supporters in being apart of building something, growth can happen

Federal judge granted injunction blocking Iowa from dropping women’s swimming in 21-22 while the case works it’s way through the justice system. Many coaches and swimmers have moved on. What now?

Iowa just had its only home swimming meet of the season, and possibly the last ever. 250 family members were let in to witness.

Good story.

Er4EMYfXcAIJr79

And then they reinstate the women's program. How incompetent is Barta. Didn't need to lose this meet or its economic impact.

Pointless.

great post.

Money well spent. They should have been terminated long before this ever went to court! My sources tell me that U of Iowa HR, Atty’s blew it. ( besides just Barta and the documentation). The good news, our Field Hockey is doing great abs WE can continue to send our top rated field hockey players from PA, to Iowa! My area has sent 6-8 field hockey players to Iowa. Wyoming Sem, Emmaus, Crestwood and many others. When o first moved out to PA in 87, we sent many out to Iowa. It’s been a pipeline to Iowa City since I moved to the Lehigh Valley. It will continue. Yes, I’ve met with the girl from Crestwood who got in the middle of all this. Talked to her dad in Mountain Top many times. It’s time to move on from the BS in IC and the liberal agendas. We send out football players and wrestlers also! WE are monitoring things in IC closely. Yes, I have 3 season tickets. Not playing the game with the knee crap! We canceled our tickets til the players figure it out! We Stand with Kirk and the Anthem. Covid had nothing to do with it.

Did Iowa really need to cut sports?

Remember that $75M loan they thought they were going to have to take out?

And then the projected deficit decreased to $55 to $65M.

Now its $10M less than that.

ADVERTISEMENT