ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa man fined $4K for littering

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
660efc3569a90.image.jpg

A West Union man who allegedly turned the roadside into an impromptu dump is facing thousands of dollars in fines.
Fayette County sheriff’s deputies received a report about trash tossed into a ditch at Echo Valley and Imperial Roads near Echo Valley State Park on Sunday.

The pile included box springs, beds and several garbage bags.

Deputies were able to trace the debris back to Christopher Loren Ray Zuercher, 38, of West Union, formerly of Waterloo, according to the sheriff’s office. He was cited with 29 counts of littering on a highway, citations that resulted in $4,596 in fines.
In comparison, dumpster rental usually runs around $400.

Zuercher was also ordered to return to the area and remove all the garbage in the presence of deputies, according to the sheriff’s office.

Went on a hike on the part of the military range that's open to the public out by Navarre. There are a few unpaved "roads" that go through it along with the trails.

Anyway, we're about 5 miles in and come across an abandoned boat and trailer. Looked like they'd been there for years. Weird...

People sure find out of the way places to get rid of their bulk trash.

Good. Glad they caught him. Litterers are the worst.
Recently, I know of someone who caught a guy dumping an engine block out of the back of a Uhaul in a little wooded area. Who thinks that is ok? The fines should be stronger for something like that.
I agree!

Why not jail time?

Reactions: Pinehawk
Anyway, we're about 5 miles in and come across an abandoned boat and trailer. Looked like they'd been there for years. Weird...
I was once in northern Nevada and there was lots of abandoned things like this... cars, RVs, trailers, etc...

When we go out birding we often see dumped trash along the airport frontage road (Des Moines) and along the country roads. Is having your garbage picked up really such a hassle or that expensive?

Reactions: cigaretteman
660efc3569a90.image.jpg

A West Union man who allegedly turned the roadside into an impromptu dump is facing thousands of dollars in fines.
Fayette County sheriff’s deputies received a report about trash tossed into a ditch at Echo Valley and Imperial Roads near Echo Valley State Park on Sunday.

The pile included box springs, beds and several garbage bags.

Deputies were able to trace the debris back to Christopher Loren Ray Zuercher, 38, of West Union, formerly of Waterloo, according to the sheriff’s office. He was cited with 29 counts of littering on a highway, citations that resulted in $4,596 in fines.
In comparison, dumpster rental usually runs around $400.

Zuercher was also ordered to return to the area and remove all the garbage in the presence of deputies, according to the sheriff’s office.
I am fine with making him come back and get the stuff... I'd have rather seen a $200 fine and 20 hours of roadside trash pick-up.

I don't know about hanging, but I'd be on board with 100 hours of community service picking up trash on the side of the road.
Couple days ago was turning onto 124th. Car right in front of me opens his door and shoves out about a weeks worth of fast food wrappers and drives off.

I just don't understand this. I assume he gets gas at some point, just use the trash there while filling up. Good lord.
It was a nice car as well. Some folks believe the world revolves around them. Was making a turn into a subdivision. Heavy traffic street. So I had to wait for oncoming traffic to give me a gap to turn. Lady in newish Benz SUV decided she needed to use that turning intersection as well. She came from a Starbucks drive thru. Wasn’t going to wait for me . Turns into the median gap and blocks me and waits for the same traffic to clear so she can get on her way. Think I had only been sitting their for about 20 secs before she blocked me.

He said, "Kid, we found your name on an envelope at the bottom of a—a half a ton of garbage, and just wanted to know if you had any information about it." And I said, "Yes, sir, Officer Obie, I cannot tell a lie. I put that envelope under that garbage."

He said, "Kid, we found your name on an envelope at the bottom of a—a half a ton of garbage, and just wanted to know if you had any information about it." And I said, "Yes, sir, Officer Obie, I cannot tell a lie. I put that envelope under that garbage."

Make him sit on the group W bench with the mother rappers and father rappers.

I don't believe the Code allows for that. Unless they changed the law, all they can do is fine him
I think the judge could sentence jail time since it's a simple misdemeanor which I think the code says is no more than 30 days. They won't do it, but they could.

I got to be honest, I've never seen someone arrested for it; at least not without companion charges i.e. disorderly conduct, interference with official acts, etc.

Trying to pull out my old appendix....but I'm pretty sure I'm right
Are you going to work for the state?
“I might be right, I might be wrong. Pretty sure I’m right… I’ll get back to you”.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT