ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Men's Tennis had the University's ONLY Head-Coaching Endowment. Team will wear RED for their Last Season

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
The Apr 24, 2018 gift of $2.4M established the Kirk and Diane Mellecker Family Head Men’s Tennis Coach Fund. This fund created the first endowed coaching position at the University of Iowa. At the time, Barta said this: "Their significant contribution will transform the lives of so many Hawkeye student-athletes for generations to come.” Link to that story: https://www.foriowa.org/iowa-stories/iowa-story.php?isid=4&namer=true

Usually being well endowed is a good thing. Now, what happens to the endowment? I hope they have to refund it!

Last edited:
Usually being well endowed is a good thing. Now, what happens to the endowment? I hope they have to refund it!

I have heard that W&M's swim team has a 3 million dollar endowment and supposedly the school is saying they can take it. I hope they do try as it will trigger so much backlash and make their admins look like non-caring greedy, incompetent leaders and hopefully trigger some of them losing their jobs.

I have heard that W&M's swim team has a 3 million dollar endowment and supposedly the school is saying they can take it. I hope they do try as it will trigger so much backlash and make their admins look like non-caring greedy, incompetent leaders and hopefully trigger some of them losing their jobs.

Link?

I didn’t read close enough and thought he meant Iowa.

Because why the **** would we be talking William and Mary here

The Apr 24, 2018 gift of $2.4M established the Kirk and Diane Mellecker Family Head Men’s Tennis Coach Fund. This fund created the first endowed coaching position at the University of Iowa. At the time, Barta said this: "Their significant contribution will transform the lives of so many Hawkeye student-athletes for generations to come.” Link to that story: https://www.foriowa.org/iowa-stories/iowa-story.php?isid=4&namer=true

Meanwhile, there have been several interesting, recent developments. We found out that there are 94 on the women's rowing team; women's swimming & diving has been reinstated; and now Iowa is looking at adding women's wrestling because of the current Title IX lawsuit.

Meanwhile, no lawsuits have been filed, of course, for the 3 men's programs that have been axed.

And the Iowa men tennis players won't be wearing the black and gold in their final season.

Last edited:

Meanwhile, there have been several interesting, recent developments. We found out that there are 94 on the women's rowing team; women's swimming & diving has been reinstated; and now Iowa is looking at adding women's wrestling because of the current Title IX lawsuit.

Meanwhile, no lawsuits have been filed, of course, for the 3 men's programs that have been axed.

And the Iowa men tennis players won't be wearing the black and gold in their final season.

I love it, I also hope the family that created the endowment is able to cancel it also.
Mens gymnastic team is also looking very good this year.

Reactions: CFNiteHawk85
I love it, I also hope the family that created the endowment is able to cancel it also.
Mens gymnastic team is also looking very good this year.

Chad Leistikow reported that it was unclear if Iowa was going to (or had to) return the $2.4 Million to the family.

Can you imagine if the family asked for the money back & Barta said no??

I know at W&M some endowments are set up so that the University can't touch it if team it was set up for no longer exists, but others can be taken over by University(though teams are looking to make changes to those rules)

Showing my ignorance. How many schools have scholarship tennis in D1?
Nationally, there are 264 Division 1 tennis colleges which fund a men’s program.

The NCAA allots a maximum of 4.5 scholarships per university in men’s tennis. Men’s tennis is an equivalency sport, which means a men’s tennis college program will have several players on partial scholarships. It’s also possible for a university to not provide the full amount of NCAA permitted scholarships.

Chad Leistikow reported that it was unclear if Iowa was going to (or had to) return the $2.4 Million to the family.

Can you imagine if the family asked for the money back & Barta said no??
Why should anybody ever give a gift like that again to the University of Iowa? Fundraising should take a hit because of crap like this.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Did Iowa really need to cut sports?

Remember that $75M loan they thought they were going to have to take out?

And then the projected deficit decreased to $55 to $65M.

Now its $10M less than that.

And will Iowa have to return the $2.4M gift that established the Kirk and Diane Mellecker Family Head Men’s Tennis Coach Endowment?

Reactions: Hawkdiver
ADVERTISEMENT