ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa-Michigan State Series

Mar 14, 2003
The last three game series in Iowa City for the season. The games are Fri, Sat, Sun @ 6:05, 1:05, and 1:05.

Iowa lists their probables as Dermody, Kuebel, and Hanse.

It appears they will honor the seniors on Sunday and they deserve a good send out. A guy like Matt Dermody who has been drafted three times I believe definitely bleeds black and gold.

Iowa defeats Michigan State 6-2 with Iowa scoring 5 runs in the 7th inning down 2-1. Matt Dermody tossed a solid game going 7 innings allowing 5 hits, 2 earned runs while getting 9 K's.

Sasha Kuebel is the probably for Iowa on Saturday with a start time of 1:05 listed.

Iowa beat Michigan State 2-1 and wins the series. Iowa will go for the sweep on Sunday at 1:05pm. Iowa's six seniors will be honored.

Sasha Kuebel tossed 8 innings allowing just 1 earned run. The Sasha Kuebel of today and last weekend is the one I thought we'd see all season.

How about Bryan Niedbalski as well? He went 3/4 today with the go ahead RBI single in the 8th inning. He also scored a run. I believe before last weekend Bryan only had 14 at bats all year. He had the game winning sac fly in the win vs Michigan last weekend.

The game was replayed earlier in the evening on BTN and will also be replayed at 2am if anyone is interested. Andrew Hanse is the probably for Sunday.

Iowa did lose the final game of the MSU series by a score of 4-2. Iowa couldn't do much offensively and some errors allowed MSU to score 2 unearned runs.

Josh Martsching came on in relief and redeemed himself from a less than stellar start vs UNO.

Iowa's final three games of the season are @ Purdue on Thu, Fri, Sat. I believe the first two games are night games followed by a day game.

I happen to believe we will not see Jack Dahm's contract renewed. Coach Dahm has done some good things in his time at Iowa, however I think we have seen Iowa reach its maximum under him. We need some new blood and a new direction, will things be better? I don't know....we need to put some more money into our facility and with all the basketball/football upgrades it will not happen anytime soon unless a big donor steps up to the plate.

The Athletic Depts. stated goal has been that all sports be in the upper half of the conference, or else making progress in that direction. Based on that, JD should have been gone last year.

But what if you can Dahm, and then the VB & SB scenarios repeat - that is, bringing in candidate after candidate, all of who turn down the offer? So then you throw money at an inferior candidate, who in turn makes no progress and you're back where you started? If all you can can get is a mid-major coach or a career assistant, what's the point?

ADVERTISEMENT