ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa middle schoolers walk out in protest of Supreme Court draft on abortion

Your struggling like hell to move the narrative to something else other than the fact you just said middle schoolers are only a couple of years from sexual prime. Not a good look thorne.

Struggling like hell? I acknowledged the correction, good job, you even got a great laugh out of it. It doesn't change the point at all. They are few years away from the start of being sexually active and beginning their prime as abortion customers. That's the point.

Speaking of struggling, you didn't address that, instead you LOL'd again. Which I commended you for, which is much better than losing control, something you struggle to maintain, I didn't want to see you lose something valuable in your life from a impulse mistake.

Struggling like hell? I acknowledged the correction, good job, you even got a great laugh out of it. It doesn't change the point at all. They are few years away from the start of being sexually active and beginning their prime as abortion customers. That's the point.

Speaking of struggling, you didn't address that, instead you LOL'd again. Which I commended you for, which is much better than losing control, something you struggle to maintain, I didn't want to see you lose something valuable in your life from a impulse mistake.
An 11-13 year old is only a few years away from being "prime abortion customers".... think about that.

Keep going Thorne you are doing great.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Your struggling like hell to move the narrative to something else other than the fact you just said middle schoolers are only a couple of years from sexual prime. Not a good look thorne.
Just take the L, Thorne. It's common knowledge that you can't get a girl/woman pregnant unless you are in your sexual prime years. Definitely can't get someone pregnant the first time you have sex.

Not sure why you're being so stubborn with this. They will absolutely be sexually active when 14-16 years old.
Sexually active and "in their prime" are different as I pointed out. Which is also why I liked the "he means horny AF" post. Thorne just thinks he is way smarter than he actually is and can't laugh off the fact his original statement was incorrect.

• Haha
Always useful to remind people how the GOP has attempted to pollute the process for replacing justices to the Iowa Supreme Court. That might come in handy in a few years.

Reactions: Tom Paris
An 11-13 year old is only a few years away from being "prime abortion customers".... think about that.

Keep going Thorne you are doing great.

Exactly, you seem to get it now, that is why I don't think it's strange that 11-13 year olds might have a genuine and even strong opinion on abortion, out of self interest.

I'm at an age and standing in my life where I won't be party to an abortion. If it's legal or prohibited, it won't directly impact me. Not at all the case when I was 15 years ago. From simply a self interest perspective and the impacts on only myself, I cared a lot more about abortion access 15 years ago than I do now.

Thanks for this interaction and keeping your cool. Isn't it a lot more satisfying to be able to choose when to take a break from HORT than having someone else decide for you? Kudos.

The lefts continued use of children in politics is gross.
This guy agrees
merlin_204659955_3b8fbfaa-5f8d-47ee-a2d2-1d63d34cb445-articleLarge.jpg

Reactions: noStemsnoSTICKS
Sexually active and "in their prime" are different as I pointed out. Which is also why I liked the "he means horny AF" post. Thorne just thinks he is way smarter than he actually is and can't laugh off the fact his original statement was incorrect.
So if a 15 year old accidentally gets his gf pregnant they're not potential "abortion customers". Are you simply arguing the textbook definition of sexual prime?

I did acknowledge it was incorrect and I amended the statement and the point maintains. Not everyone has a giant chip on their shoulder who can't mentally handle being - gasp - corrected.

School walkouts are stupid.

If you want to convince that you are serious about something, take time on your time off, like the summer or the weekend to go to a protest or something like that.

Getting up and leaving a place you probably don't really want to be anyway just convinces me that you found yourself an excuse to walk out of school and have half the country clap for you like you did something brave.

I'm guessing the vast majority of these kids if offered the chance to go to a rally on a Saturday for the same cause would rather stay at home and play video games or hang out with their friends.
Or you draw attention to the matter your trying to draw attention to and get people taking about it. :rolleyes:

Seems this was very successful in that regard.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
Or you draw attention to the matter your trying to draw attention to and get people taking about it. :rolleyes:

Seems this was very successful in that regard.

Not at all. . . people were already talking about abortion, not because some middle schoolers walked out of school but because a draft version of the ruling was released and appears to show that the SCOTUS will be overturning Roe.

• Haha
I wonder how this could have possibly been presented to them to cause that reaction. Doesn't Iowa's Constitution allow abortion? I wonder if anyone told them that.

I wonder if anyone explained that the Mississippi case is about a 15 week limit, not a ban, and that the Mississippi law was drafted with Casey as a guide.

I wonder if anyone explained the 10th Amendment, or the Federalist Papers.

I wonder if Tom Paris teaches middle school. I'm simply amazed at the hysteria over this, and how much of the hysteria is based on ignorance.
More ignorance here. I used to teach middle school though. You don't think kids weren't on their phones using social media communicating since that leaked? Or are you trying to tell me a teacher taught them how to feel on this issue?

For the record, I mostly side with the Republicans about the walk out. I tend to think they are silly.

Not at all. . . people were already talking about abortion, not because some middle schoolers walked out of school but because a draft version of the ruling was released and appears to show that the SCOTUS will be overturning Roe.
And they're taking about it more now, with an eye on the effect it has on middle school age children. It's demonstrating the WIDE range of outrage at this and potential future efforts to overturn similar settled law.

Typical of right wingers, focus on the extraneous rather than the message.

• Haha
Reactions: SWIowahawks
You're absolutely right - I don't understand zealots very well. My personal philosophy doesn't work for most people. I'm pro-constitution, anti big government, and very Libertarian. I have a simple few rules, starting with people should be allowed to do whatever they want as long as they don't hurt someone else in the process. That premise doesn't work for everything, but works for most things. I believe in a safety net, but at the state level. I want big government spenders out of my wallet, and I want the nanny state out of the rest of my life, be it my bedroom, or deciding that I must be vaccinated with a vaccine that isn't very effective.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to rant. I really just wish people would take the time to become educated on issues instead of forming their opinions based on what some zealot on CNN or Fox News tells them.

Oh, and we have at least two posters on here who spew out so much BS that it makes me sad for their students.
Since you already named me here I assume you're talking about my teaching again. Again, you're totally ignorant about it. You know nothing of the topic.

You know nothing of BS because you can't show me I'm wrong. You just talked about a vaccine not being ineffective. Then you talk about being informed. You aren't informed. Not about me in my job or half of what you chime in on in these threads. If you really are doing your research using valid sources, then you are getting a lot of things backwards.

Reactions: globalhawk
And they're taking about it more now, with an eye on the effect it has on middle school age children. It's demonstrating the WIDE range of outrage at this and potential future efforts to overturn similar settled law.

Typical of right wingers, focus on the extraneous rather than the message.

Meh it doesn't change anything. Middle schoolers walking out of school is a minor news story.

I just think it's stupid because most of them are likely doing it because it's a good excuse to leave school.

I would be mad if my children got up and left school over some national political issue like this, no matter if I agreed or not.

Now if they want to go to a protest I would be worried about their safety but would probably let them go if they are old enough to be on their own.

Why do middle schoolers care about murdering children? Sounds like more grooming on sexual matters from leftist teachers.
They know a lot about murdering children, by the time they're in middle school they've gone thru countless school shooter drills and many have had a lockdown at their school due to someone on campus with a weapon. But you guys don't care about those types of murders.

That one has already been used bro. Wanna go 1 for 1?
Calm yourself pisspants.
you throw out some stupid hypocritical shit and then you go to this dumbass response because the image i used to call you out on your dumbassery (that i didnt get to yet while scrolling) was already used.

Geezus phuq you are a 🤡.

Meh it doesn't change anything. Middle schoolers walking out of school is a minor news story.

I just think it's stupid because most of them are likely doing it because it's a good excuse to leave school.

I would be mad if my children got up and left school over some national political issue like this, no matter if I agreed or not.

Now if they want to go to a protest I would be worried about their safety but would probably let them go if they are old enough to be on their own.
Not directly, but protests rarely change things directly. This demonstrates the concerns are very broadly held. Lots of you who support overturning Roe will poo-poo all of these protests and some will even start to misrepresent them. It's what the right does.

You sure got a lot of mileage and presumably satisfaction with the idea that I just couldn't admit I errored when claiming the years of sexual prime.

That's probably the kind of win which will walk you back from the ledge of lashing out. That's an error that I can feel really good about.
You just can't let it go. Hahaha. I would have moved on after the "EL OH EL". Keep agrandizing though, it looks good on you.

• Haha
You're absolutely right - I don't understand zealots very well. My personal philosophy doesn't work for most people. I'm pro-constitution, anti big government, and very Libertarian. I have a simple few rules, starting with people should be allowed to do whatever they want as long as they don't hurt someone else in the process. That premise doesn't work for everything, but works for most things. I believe in a safety net, but at the state level. I want big government spenders out of my wallet, and I want the nanny state out of the rest of my life, be it my bedroom, or deciding that I must be vaccinated with a vaccine that isn't very effective.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to rant. I really just wish people would take the time to become educated on issues instead of forming their opinions based on what some zealot on CNN or Fox News tells them.

Oh, and we have at least two posters on here who spew out so much BS that it makes me sad for their students.
Congrats, you are now zealot in the eyes of the zealots

Reactions: Tom Paris
It's pretty sad middle schoolers are being inundated with politics. You think a middle schooler is capable of understanding the complexities of abortion or do you think they have a parent at home or teacher encouraging this?

Before you get up in arms: I believe rape victims should always have access to abortion. I also believe a terminal baby or a birth that will result in death of the mother should be considered.

The lefts continued use of children in politics is gross.
How about a baby that will have severe medical challenges, to the point it will cost millions and millions of dollars to keep it alive and it can only survive due to medical intervention.

Calm yourself pisspants.
you throw out some stupid hypocritical shit and then you go to this dumbass response because the image i used to call you out on your dumbassery (that i didnt get to yet while scrolling) was already used.

Geezus phuq you are a 🤡.
Soooo much salt in this thread.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT