ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa middle schoolers walk out in protest of Supreme Court draft on abortion

I’m guessing the decision was made by someone else and the kids just liked the idea of walking out of school.
There were probably a few. Actually, the ones who did walk out on principle got a lot of s*** from middle school boys, most of whom have never made the effort to apply ethics and/or sound reasoning to any decision they've made in their entire life.

Reactions: littlez and Rudolph
There were probably a few. Actually, the ones who did walk out on principle got a lot of s*** from middle school boys, most of whom have never made the effort to apply ethics and/or sound reasoning to any decision they've made in their entire life.
You're asking a lot from 12 year olds. These are the same kids that have been driven the 4 1/2 blocks to soccer practice their entire life.

I’m guessing the decision was made by someone else and the kids just liked the idea of walking out of school.
Yep, the adult who presented one side of an issue and gave them the opportunity is to blame.

What would be healthy is for middle schoolers to be presented both sides, on equal footing, and allow them to debate, form sides, and discuss. If that happened, and half of them decided to walk out in protest, then great (and they should be given unexcused absences), but the chances that happened are almost zero I'm afraid.

I recall having debates in school, but never would it have been seen as OK to walk out over it.

It’s pretty sad when a bunch of middle schoolers can make more rational decisions than our Supreme Court.
It's pretty sad middle schoolers are being inundated with politics. You think a middle schooler is capable of understanding the complexities of abortion or do you think they have a parent at home or teacher encouraging this?

Before you get up in arms: I believe rape victims should always have access to abortion. I also believe a terminal baby or a birth that will result in death of the mother should be considered.

The lefts continued use of children in politics is gross.

It's pretty sad middle schoolers are being inundated with politics. You think a middle schooler is capable of understanding the complexities of abortion or do you think they have a parent at home or teacher encouraging this?

Before you get up in arms: I believe rape victims should always have access to abortion. I also believe a terminal baby or a birth that will result in death of the mother should be considered.

The lefts continued use of children in politics is gross.
The better question is, “Who gives a f what middle schooler thinks about abortion?”

You know damn well this was sanctioned and planned by the school.
I work with schools and teachers all the time, and I can guarantee you that this was not some plot by the school administration or teachers. Maybe you don’t realize that these eighth graders have had very powerful computers in their hands for the last several years, and some of them for seven or eight years, and they pay attention to what’s going on. They read. They watch social media videos. They share colossal amounts of information with each other.

They are the most progressive and connected and diverse and tolerant generation of Americans, by far. Every single political and cultural poll that you find confirms this.

What they don’t trust are schools who have been forced to be silent about actual American history, the systemic racism embedded into our legal system and economy, or schools that are forced to teach creationism which is a myth alongside evolution, which is no longer considered a theory and hasn’t been for a century because of the evidence being incontrovertible and overwhelming, or religious schools controlled by paranoid white Karens, or schools that are controlled by religious ideologies, which refused to recognize the reality that some people are just born different, because they are gay or they are transgender or nonbinary, or in this case, kids don’t trust schools that try to make them believe that girls and women don’t have control over their own bodies and cannot make decisions about their own sexual behavior.

I can guarantee you that the students organized this on their own.

Students don’t trust imposed authority anymore. Schools, even here in Iowa city, struggle to keep kids in line whether it’s for a negative behavior issues like acting out, or positive behavior issues, like walking out of classrooms to protest in support of the environment or anti-racism or personal health issues.

This forum is mostly full of old men who are very disconnected from younger generations. All these efforts to control how kids think are going to blow up in old peoples faces.

One political party thinks it can control people with propaganda and handmaid‘s tale legal efforts and on and on, but they can’t keep a lid on the truth, And they might be able to fool kids for a certain amount of time, but they will figure it out, and they will pick up the pieces of the distruction that the current Republican Party especially, and the corporate controlled wing of the democrat party, are leaving them as a legacy.

“ lies get halfway around the world before the truth gets his boots on”
- mark Twain

The better question is, “Who gives a f what middle schooler thinks about abortion?”
They will be voting in four or five years, and a recent study showed that THE main reason that within a decade a minority of Americans became a convincing majority of Americans who believe that Humans are driving global heating, was the fact that kids convinced parents to change their minds. Particularly girls changed the minds of their formerly conservative fathers.

Looks like old white men, when faced with the reality especially from their young daughters, are able to change and grow, even through the morass of Fox News Fed BS.

Reactions: RileyHawk
They will be voting in four or five years, and a recent study showed that THE main reason that within a decade a minority of Americans became a convincing majority of Americans who believe that Humans are driving global heating, was the fact that kids convinced parents to change their minds. Particularly girls changed the minds of their formerly conservative fathers.

Looks like old white men, when faced with the reality especially from their young daughters, are able to change and grow, even through the morass of Fox News Fed BS.

So totally NOT indoctrination centers though?

If we got up in 6th grade to walk out, Sister Mary Josepha would be standing at the doorway with a yard stick swinging and beating us back inside like it was batting practice.

Reactions: Tfxchawk
Reactions: SWIowahawks
Exactly.

The Republican ideologues and wannabe dictators have been using kids as Trojan horses for years. They try to use kids as puppets and try to control the truth, but the kids are way more connected than they are and the kids sooner or later we’ll figure it out.
Here here:

3bh2ox.jpg

Yep, the adult who presented one side of an issue and gave them the opportunity is to blame.

What would be healthy is for middle schoolers to be presented both sides, on equal footing, and allow them to debate, form sides, and discuss. If that happened, and half of them decided to walk out in protest, then great (and they should be given unexcused absences), but the chances that happened are almost zero I'm afraid.

I recall having debates in school, but never would it have been seen as OK to walk out over it.

I sometimes wish my default understanding of every topic could be completely imagination based. It seems like it would be so much comfortable to avoid the burdens of reality when you can just create your own. The Hawks would finish 12-0, my bank account would be much larger, etc. I envy you.

ADVERTISEMENT