ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa middle schoolers walk out in protest of Supreme Court draft on abortion

How about a baby that will have severe medical challenges, to the point it will cost millions and millions of dollars to keep it alive and it can only survive due to medical intervention.
Thats a tough line, as with many conversations regarding abortion. My immediate response is to think that child should be born because we don't know what advances may come during its lifetime.

You just can't let it go. Hahaha. I would have moved on after the "EL OH EL". Keep agrandizing though, it looks good on you.

Which part can't I let go? The sexual prime error or celebrating Mental Health Awareness month? I can acknowledge my error, I can tolerate your devastating victory laps without a temper tantrum and a timeout. If a single speed beta like myself can do it, certainly a ultra masculine, live off the land, alpha male can do the same right?

Speaking of moving on.

You stuck your foot in your mouth saying a 12 year old is only a couple years from.sexual prime. Laugh it of and move forward.

Your struggling like hell to move the narrative to something else other than the fact you just said middle schoolers are only a couple of years from sexual prime. Not a good look thorne.

Sexually active and "in their prime" are different as I pointed out. Which is also why I liked the "he means horny AF" post. Thorne just thinks he is way smarter than he actually is and can't laugh off the fact his original statement was incorrect.

Reactions: RileyHawk
Which part can't I let go? The sexual prime error or celebrating Mental Health Awareness month? I can acknowledge my error, I can tolerate your devastating victory laps without a temper tantrum and a timeout. If a single speed beta like myself can do it, certainly a ultra masculine, live off the land, alpha male can do the same right?

Speaking of moving on.
Keep posting about it dude, you are doing great.

I work with schools and teachers all the time, and I can guarantee you that this was not some plot by the school administration or teachers. Maybe you don’t realize that these eighth graders have had very powerful computers in their hands for the last several years, and some of them for seven or eight years, and they pay attention to what’s going on. They read. They watch social media videos. They share colossal amounts of information with each other.

They are the most progressive and connected and diverse and tolerant generation of Americans, by far. Every single political and cultural poll that you find confirms this.

What they don’t trust are schools who have been forced to be silent about actual American history, the systemic racism embedded into our legal system and economy, or schools that are forced to teach creationism which is a myth alongside evolution, which is no longer considered a theory and hasn’t been for a century because of the evidence being incontrovertible and overwhelming, or religious schools controlled by paranoid white Karens, or schools that are controlled by religious ideologies, which refused to recognize the reality that some people are just born different, because they are gay or they are transgender or nonbinary, or in this case, kids don’t trust schools that try to make them believe that girls and women don’t have control over their own bodies and cannot make decisions about their own sexual behavior.

I can guarantee you that the students organized this on their own.

Students don’t trust imposed authority anymore. Schools, even here in Iowa city, struggle to keep kids in line whether it’s for a negative behavior issues like acting out, or positive behavior issues, like walking out of classrooms to protest in support of the environment or anti-racism or personal health issues.

This forum is mostly full of old men who are very disconnected from younger generations. All these efforts to control how kids think are going to blow up in old peoples faces.

One political party thinks it can control people with propaganda and handmaid‘s tale legal efforts and on and on, but they can’t keep a lid on the truth, And they might be able to fool kids for a certain amount of time, but they will figure it out, and they will pick up the pieces of the distruction that the current Republican Party especially, and the corporate controlled wing of the democrat party, are leaving them as a legacy.

“ lies get halfway around the world before the truth gets his boots on”
- mark Twain
I hope you are right, however I do think middle school kids still take many cues from their parents. My wife (no pic) teaches middle school in central Iowa, and all year it has been a continuous battle with kids using "Let's Go Brandon" and "Not my President" and Trump 2024 and the Confederate flag as their screen savers. There have been multiple instances of kids being called the N word (not in her class) and students refusing to read books by Black authors or Jewish authors. I'm certain they are getting this from their parents, but they are all in. A lot of telling the teachers "First Amendment" anytime they are called out. She has never had anything like this any other year.

I hope you are right, however I do think middle school kids still take many cues from their parents. My wife (no pic) teaches middle school in central Iowa, and all year it has been a continuous battle with kids using "Let's Go Brandon" and "Not my President" and Trump 2024 and the Confederate flag as their screen savers. There have been multiple instances of kids being called the N word (not in her class) and students refusing to read books by Black authors or Jewish authors. I'm certain they are getting this from their parents, but they are all in. A lot of telling the teachers "First Amendment" anytime they are called out. She has never had anything like this any other year.
Middle schoolers are idiots? Don’t tell that to the lefties in this thread.

Fortunately those middle schoolers live in Iowa where access to abortion services is constitutionally protected from the wacko far righties. They're trying to alter Iowa's constitution so they can eventually outlaw abortion in the state, but it will never pass the public vote, thankfully.

They are pretty naive and don't understand complex issues. They think more emotionally than rationally. Their world view is very narrow. Rallying around others with similar intellect makes them feel validated. Should probably be ignored and let the adults handle the difficult discussions and decisions.

Edit: Sorry, responded to wrong thread. This was meant for the Trump MAGAT supporter thread, not the one about middle schoolers.

School walkouts are stupid.

I'm guessing the vast majority of these kids if offered the chance to go to a rally on a Saturday for the same cause would rather stay at home and play video games or hang out with their friends.
Correct. I remember my days at the U of I in the Business College, the old Phillips Hall building. It was a beautiful spring day and the "usuals" were protesting on the Pentacrest across the street.

Our very wise Professor went over to the window, moved the blinds a little to see the ongoing protest better better and said something to the effect of, "Hmmm...I wonder why there are no issues worth protesting in the winter months".

I LOL'ed. He was right, there were often "serious" protests held on the campus, or even in the streets surrounding the campus, in those days...but never on a rainy day and never when it was cold out. There seemed to be a very STRONG correlation with protests and nice weather. LOL.

Reactions: notlongago
Correct. I remember my days at the U of I in the Business College, the old Phillips Hall building. It was a beautiful spring day and the "usuals" were protesting on the Pentacrest across the street.

Our very wise Professor went over to the window, moved the blinds a little to see the ongoing protest better better and said something to the effect of, "Hmmm...I wonder why there are no issues worth protesting in the winter months".

I LOL'ed. He was right, there were often "serious" protests held on the campus, or even in the streets surrounding the campus, in those days...but never on a rainy day and never when it was cold out. There seemed to be a very STRONG correlation with protests and nice weather. LOL.
Sounds like he was a great example of someone who taught because he wasn't smart enough to do.
People protest when there's an audience to see them. No one protests at night either. Students protest on campus during the day because that's when other people are on campus. No one is going to stop and notice them when it's -10 and blowing snow. The point of a protest is to make a scene. You can't make a scene if you're not seen.

Doesnt look like you're reading the thread - very few people are disagreeing the use of kids as props/in an exploitative manner is wrong. Only the most extreme members of either end of the spectrum are trying to justify it.

You see the guy on the front page who says only the left does this?

Reactions: BelemNole

I can understand protesting only in good weather.

I can't understand protesting by walking out of a place you don't want to be anyways.

Sounds like he was a great example of someone who taught because he wasn't smart enough to do.
People protest when there's an audience to see them. No one protests at night either. Students protest on campus during the day because that's when other people are on campus. No one is going to stop and notice them when it's -10 and blowing snow. The point of a protest is to make a scene. You can't make a scene if you're not seen.
LOL. He was the smartest person that I ever had the opportunity to learn from in person. Also, there have been MANY protests at night AND there are plenty of people on campus during almost any day in the winter...it just isn't comfortable out.

• Haha
Ah, high school protestors. They always seem to get protests so perfectly right. This reminds me of 1980, when I was walked into my first post-lunch class of a beautiful central Pennsylvania afternoon and realized that a lot of people seemed to be late for class. Well, it turned out that one of the school knuckleheads, realizing that it really was a beautiful afternoon, decided that the students should march on Harrisburg to protest...Iranians holding US hostages. Now just exactly what they thought the PA state government was going to do about the matter is still something of a mystery to this day. But it was a nice afternoon for a walk.

LOL. He was the smartest person that I ever had the opportunity to learn from in person. Also, there have been MANY protests at night AND there are plenty of people on campus during almost any day in the winter...it just isn't comfortable out.
I'm sure you thought he was brilliant - he said things you thought are true.

Why don't protestors protest in private rooms? Why don't they protest at home? Why do they keep protesting when all the people want to be outside???

Yep, the adult who presented one side of an issue and gave them the opportunity is to blame.

What would be healthy is for middle schoolers to be presented both sides, on equal footing, and allow them to debate, form sides, and discuss. If that happened, and half of them decided to walk out in protest, then great (and they should be given unexcused absences), but the chances that happened are almost zero I'm afraid.

I recall having debates in school, but never would it have been seen as OK to walk out over it.
Nice assumptions.

You mad bro? You sound salty.

"I'll give you credit for laughing this one off"

Derrrrrrrrrrrrrpppp

"Desperate to help you maintain your cool"

You stuck your foot in your mouth saying a 12 year old is only a couple years from.sexual prime. Laugh it of and move forward.
You realize 8th graders are 14 and at this point sometimes 15 right? I would say a large number of them will be sexually active 4 years from now. Whether by choice or force.

Okay, so doing just the barest of research I see that this particular middle school is made up of 8th and 9th graders. Not a 12 year old in the building. These are 14-16 year olds. They are going to have a much better understanding of the issue, although I will agree that not all of them do. I will also agree that some likely joined in because they could get out of class. But there are absolutely kids that age that care deeply about access to abortion. Some are absolutely sexually active. Some probably know someone who has gotten an abortion. And funny that people are blaming the district known for their Q morons on the school board for encouraging this.

Okay, so doing just the barest of research I see that this particular middle school is made up of 8th and 9th graders. Not a 12 year old in the building. These are 14-16 year olds. They are going to have a much better understanding of the issue, although I will agree that not all of them do. I will also agree that some likely joined in because they could get out of class. But there are absolutely kids that age that care deeply about access to abortion. Some are absolutely sexually active. Some probably know someone who has gotten an abortion. And funny that people are blaming the district known for their Q morons on the school board for encouraging this.
We don't do research here - we just blame liberal/gay teachers.

Roe is about so much more than abortion stuff. And something tells me these "middle schoolers" are aware of this. Insane that so many adults think this is just an abortion thing.

You realize 8th graders are 14 and at this point sometimes 15 right? I would say a large number of them will be sexually active 4 years from now. Whether by choice or force.
It has never been disputed that a 15-16 year old would be sexually active. I personally lost my virginity at 15. What was disputed was that a 17-18-19 year old were in thier "sexual prime".

• Haha
You know a 16 year old 8th grader that is not in special Ed? The 15 year olds were usually August bdays and the parents chose to keep them at home an extra year.

There isn't a normal functioning 8th grader with a full driver's license.

• Haha
You know a 16 year old 8th grader that is not in special Ed? The 15 year olds were usually August bdays and the parents chose to keep them at home an extra year.

The building is 8th/9th. So it would be a 16 year old 9th grader. Which agree, there would be very, very few. My kids turned 18 around this time of their senior year, so would just be turning 15 as freshmen. A lot people hold kids back for sports if they have a summer birthday, but at least last I knew, not many did for spring birthdays.

There are not a lot of 16 year old 9th graders but it seems like there are a lot of parents who hold back late spring and summer babies for sports purposes. So those kids would be either turning 16 about now or in the next month or 2.

ADVERTISEMENT