ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa middle schoolers walk out in protest of Supreme Court draft on abortion

I hope you are right, however I do think middle school kids still take many cues from their parents. My wife (no pic) teaches middle school in central Iowa, and all year it has been a continuous battle with kids using "Let's Go Brandon" and "Not my President" and Trump 2024 and the Confederate flag as their screen savers. There have been multiple instances of kids being called the N word (not in her class) and students refusing to read books by Black authors or Jewish authors. I'm certain they are getting this from their parents, but they are all in. A lot of telling the teachers "First Amendment" anytime they are called out. She has never had anything like this any other year.
Well we still need ditch diggers I think. And when those kids fail to thrive they'll just become angry adults like their small minded and ignorant parents. It's the circle of life.

Reactions: chalupa81
Wait...you're just calling kids idiots? Why?
Read post #126. Yes, middle schoolers are idiots when it comes to adulting and real world decisions. Heck, a large number of adults are the same way. There is a reason why they can’t vote and drink. Hell, they can’t even drive, but people wanna hang their hats on the notion that their opinions matter.

Read post #126. Yes, middle schoolers are idiots when it comes to adulting and real world decisions. Heck, a large number of adults are the same way. There is a reason why they can’t vote and drink. Hell, they can’t even drive, but people wanna hang their hats on the notion that their opinions matter.
Ok...but why the lefties comment? I can't really give my opinion or all get slammed for it due to my job.

Interesting decision to start off one sentence with heck & another with hell.

Interesting decision to start off one sentence with heck & another with hell.

phil.gif

Middle schoolers are the future. Damned well better they don't get sucked in the moralistic vacuum with the Bible Belt fruitcakes and Friday fish eaters that tell them how to think.
Should we get rid of religion like the Soviets? Most church folk I’ve dealt with are harmless. Better having them around than a bunch of degenerates convinced the world has wronged them and they’re oppressed victims.

Ok...but why the lefties comment? I can't really give my opinion or all get slammed for it due to my job.
This is thread is full of lefties admiring the bravery and knowledge this walk out shows. Riley is all about making middle schoolers out to be intelligent worthy of being listened to because they have IPhones. Some how that makes them more connected to politics than in generations past. I call B.S.

Just because they see and repeat crap they hear at home doesn’t make them out to be smart or right.

Reactions: NCHawk5
Yep, the adult who presented one side of an issue and gave them the opportunity is to blame.

What would be healthy is for middle schoolers to be presented both sides, on equal footing, and allow them to debate, form sides, and discuss. If that happened, and half of them decided to walk out in protest, then great (and they should be given unexcused absences), but the chances that happened are almost zero I'm afraid.

I recall having debates in school, but never would it have been seen as OK to walk out over it.
The Supreme Court debated both sides during Roe. Then again during Casey. At this point it should be a settled argument.

This is thread is full of lefties admiring the bravery and knowledge this walk out shows. Riley is all about making middle schoolers out to be intelligent worthy of being listened to because they have IPhones. Some how that makes them more connected to politics than in generations past. I call B.S.

Just because they see and repeat crap they hear at home doesn’t make them out to be smart or right.
WTF are you babbling about?

Did you? I never made comment about how smart they are. Only that their action is gaining the notice it desired. SMFH
You’re giving them credit for being smart by walking out of class and bringing attention to the matter. As if middle schoolers move the needle. Our little 99.9% white high school had walk outs for George Floyd protests. My half sister was one of them and her reasoning was “everyone else is doing it and we didn’t wanna go to class for half a day”. Don’t be giving them too much credit.

You’re giving them credit for being smart by walking out of class and bringing attention to the matter. As if middle schoolers move the needle. Our little 99.9% white high school had walk outs for George Floyd protests. My half sister was one of them and her reasoning was “everyone else is doing it and we didn’t wanna go to class for half a day”. Don’t be giving them too much credit.
Your SW Iowa school had walk outs in May of 2020? Governor Reynolds ordered Iowa public schools to stay closed the rest of the academic year on April 17, 2020 as a Covid precaution.

Reactions: RileyHawk
Nope. Wrong again. I gave credit for the attention it is drawing but nothing about whether it was smart or not.

Something can be unwise but still effective. In this case we are seeing why it may have been unwise - it spurs the minority in support of this decision to direct their ire toward teachers and students even further.

• Haha
Reactions: NCHawk5
Should we get rid of religion like the Soviets? Most church folk I’ve dealt with are harmless. Better having them around than a bunch of degenerates convinced the world has wronged them and they’re oppressed victims.
Lol

Why are you bashing kids?

• Haha
Reactions: HawkFan1298

Ok. But at my school the only kids who wear political clothes are from MAGA families. They are also the kids who act like rules don’t apply to them. One told a joke the other day, (racist) at one of our few students of color. Those kids learn nonsense at home from their racist MAGA parents. That’s what I see. Kids from left families don’t advertise.

Reactions: ft254
Nope. Wrong again. I gave credit for the attention it is drawing but nothing about whether it was smart or not.

Something can be unwise but still effective. In this case we are seeing why it may have been unwise - it spurs the minority in support of this decision to direct their ire toward teachers and students even further.
Bullshit. You were admonishing them for bringing attention to the cause. Like it was some sort of saving grace. Glad you agree with me that middle schoolers shouldn’t be at the fore front of American politics.

• Haha
We shouldn’t give kids credit because your family is stupid? Yeah, I’m gonna need more than that.

Ok. But at my school the only kids who wear political clothes are from MAGA families. They are also the kids who act like rules don’t apply to them. One told a joke the other day, (racist) at one of our few students of color. Those kids learn nonsense at home from their racist MAGA parents. That’s what I see. Kids from left families don’t advertise.
Seriously? So you what’s with this thread? Are these kids really in tune with American politics to make these types of decisions? Or do you think parents are involved? I honestly am asking and I’m taking your word for it.

You’re kind of sticking yourself in a corner. If you think kids from leftist families aren’t being advertised towards (by their parents) and are coming up with those walk out stuff to a law made decades again, then you’re full of shit. If they aren’t coming up with this stuff on their own, then the Democratic Party is phenomenal at getting into the minds of under aged kids.

• Haha
We shouldn’t give kids credit because your family is stupid? Yeah, I’m gonna need more than that.
Absolute projection on your part. I’m beginning to see why your reputation is so bad around here.

Almost as bad as you wanting to give credence to middle schoolers because some kids decided to walk out in protest. If you want to put American politics in the hands of middle schoolers who are pre-adolescence, may God have mercy on all of us.

For missing the point that religious zealots are the source of the problem you have definitely are not top of the conversation. Soviets?

Absolute projection on your part. I’m beginning to see why your reputation is so bad around here.

Almost as bad as you wanting to give credence to middle schoolers because some kids decided to walk out in protest. If you want to put American politics in the hands of middle schoolers who are pre-adolescence, may God have mercy on all of us.

JFC. Better them than shitheads that think like you.

Think like me how? Expand.

Your attitude and right wing positions. I don't agree with them, they are wrong for the country and in the context of the post, the kids walked out protesting a valid position. They have morals and intelligence at that age to opine, and you are not in a position to pass judgement.

You, by inherent nature do not recognize the sanctimoniousness of your intentions.

Your attitude and right wing positions. I don't agree with them, they are wrong for the country and in the context of the post, the kids walked out protesting a valid position. They have morals and intelligence at that age to opine, and you are not in a position to pass judgement.

You, by inherent nature do not recognize the sanctimoniousness of your intentions.
Lol. Did you know I’m ok with Roe vs. Wade? Nope. Because you’re a political hack. More detrimental to this country than me saying that 12-14 year olds are idiots. I literally quoted someone saying they had students who spouted hate towards black people and I called those kids idiots. You’re lack of reading comprehension and rush to judgement is way worse for this country than me saying 12-14 year old pre adolescent people are idiots.

• Haha
Tell me the country is in bad shape without telling me it’s in bad shape.

Telling the world that you care about the opinions of children when it comes to political issues does exactly that. Parents and teachers all over are failing this country and it’s children.

• Haha
Reactions: fredjr82
Bullshit. You were admonishing them for bringing attention to the cause. Like it was some sort of saving grace. Glad you agree with me that middle schoolers shouldn’t be at the fore front of American politics.
Lol - I'm not sure you even know what the term "admonishing" means. I've done nothing of the sort - I have said their efforts were successful in calling more attention to the matter. Lol - another fail by you.

ADVERTISEMENT