ADVERTISEMENT

****Iowa @ Minny Game Thread****

It was unsatisfying how we decided the game was in the bag with 11 minutes left to go, as were Fran’s late-game subs. In all, I thought the Hawks came out and played really well. Can’t get complacent

Any road win is good. This Minnesota team was short handed and is now 1-5 in B1G....so a bottom feeder in B1G, but they do have a couple players that can make baskets. Those guys started making shots and their Freshman Big stepped up and got some garbage points and Iowa got a poor whistle and Fran didn't seem to have a good plan to deal with the zone minny threw at Iowa.

The game came down to Keegan Murray having to make a 3pt shot with shot clock expiring which is closer than it should have been.

CMAC is a role player and hardly a star, but he would have done better than JBO, Perkins, PMAC did to help let Minny back into the game.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
he only played 9 players, which is what everyone has demanded for years now

And actually the players should have never let it become a game; you could see the intensity drop off when we were up 23
There is some truth to that. However we were very slow to adapt to their zone and our man defense, especially JBO was absolutely horrible. We went zone for 2-3 possessions and of course Battle was left wide open each time. It’s just so hard to explain.

Any road win is good. This Minnesota team was short handed and is now 1-5 in B1G....so a bottom feeder in B1G, but they do have a couple players that can make baskets. Those guys started making shots and their Freshman Big stepped up and got some garbage points and Iowa got a poor whistle and Fran didn't seem to have a good plan to deal with the zone minny threw at Iowa.

The game came down to Keegan Murray having to make a 3pt shot with shot clock expiring which is closer than it should have been.

CMAC is a role player and hardly a star, but he would have done better than JBO, Perkins, PMAC did to help let Minny back into the game.
Iowa has had success against the zone. But they weren't shooting the 3 worth a damn.

There is some truth to that. However we were very slow to adapt to their zone and our man defense, especially JBO was absolutely horrible. We went zone for 2-3 possessions and of course Battle was left wide open each time. It’s just so hard to explain.
Battle hit some really deep shots. Still gotta get a hand in his face.

I am completely mystified by Fran's personnel decisions. JBo and PMac were a combined 6 for 21 for 22 points, 6 rebounds and 3 assists. That's 28% shooting. Both have players behind them (Kris and Perkins) that are much better defensively and on the boards. Both played nearly the entire second half collapse and again pulls Joe at the end leaving Jbo in. WTF??

Not good down the stretch. Perkins’s played as bad as jbo

Perkins had a criticlal turnover and got pulled. JBO and PMAC played poorly down the stretch. JoeT played a real good game but was sitting on bench during the Minny run.

Would be interesting to rewatch the game an really pay attention to what happend. Minny started making shots and they played some zone and Iowa looked like crap vs the zone.

Didn’t read anything in this thread, so I’m sure it’s been covered, but we really missed CMac today! That’s all, Go Hawks!

They bailed Fran out? Fran recruited these guys when no one else did. Fran has helped instill the confidence in both of them to be what they are…..and play them like he should….but they bailed him out?

JBO has bailed him out, Aaron White did, Luka and others…..but they all have in common who their coach is and who recruited them.

29 points by Kris vs Indiana....no way Iowa wins without his play. He's a bench player and not as good as PMAC based on minutes/starting lineup. So the guy got in confidence by sitting on the bench last year and being a bench player this year.

Keegan just won the Minny game with clutch 3pt shot and block. He was a backp last year to Fran's other son, CMAC.

Kenyon Murray developed his two boys and the only reason they were Iowa kids is Davis brough their father. They they were a recruiting steal because they had late growth spurt and Kenyon Murray went to Fran. Give Fran credit for taking them after he missed on his other targets.

I don't have hate or love for Fran. I look at a career 0.500 record and want him to improve and embrace defense and actually accomplish something that is beyond mediocre which is what 11 years of 0.500 B1G ball says you are.

Perkins had a criticlal turnover and got pulled. JBO and PMAC played poorly down the stretch. JoeT played a real good game but was sitting on bench during the Minny run.

Would be interesting to rewatch the game an really pay attention to what happend. Minny started making shots and they played some zone and Iowa looked like crap vs the zone.
That's exactly what I'm doing right now. I got distracted (I guess) and kind of quit paying attention when we were leading by 18 (as I remember). I looked up and the score was 74-71. WT everloving F?!?

Still not sure what happened. Looked like Minny started playing like their lives depended on it and Iowa decided to take a little snooze. What a debacle. Yeah, we pulled out the win but still a debacle. The lead was still over 20 at the 10 minute mark or so. It sure came apart in a hurry.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
This. Minny was desperate not to lose this game at home. We got their best shot with Battle having the game of his life. Some of those shots he made were from 25+ feet. They outshot Iowa in every way (fg, 3 pt and ft). Iowa won by rebounding and forcing turnovers.
Stephens couldn't miss as well.

Happy with the win ! Disappointed JoeT wasn’t running the point the last 4-5 minutes but can’t say I was surprised either. I also understand the value of Bohannon’s free throw shooting at end of games but I’d be comfortable with JoeT shooting free throws to seal a victory as well despite the one game at the barn he failed to do so. This was the year I thought was supposed to be his team. Not sure next year would be his team to run based on what was indicated to him this year. Good to win road games in the B1G.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT