ADVERTISEMENT

****Iowa @ Minny Game Thread****

Just rewatched the second half.

Ugly by just about everyone besides Keegan. He needs to be the middle man in zone offense.

Fran brought the starters back in after a few bad possessions by the bench that let the lead get down to 13 and it went from bad to worse quickly.

With the exception of Keegan starters couldn't rebound, defend, take care of the ball or make open shots.

It looks like there's no set plan for ball screens which was maybe the biggest problem.

If Iowa would just play the best defenders, auto switch everything and then box out this game probably never gets close.

Reactions: littlez
Great game by Rebraca today

Joe T was solid

A bad defensive team like Iowa will give up big runs on the road. Good thing they were so efficient on offense in the first half
He needs to learn to box out.

That young big for minny got quite a few rebounds that were Philips for the taking if he stuck his but into him.

Happy with the win ! Disappointed JoeT wasn’t running the point the last 4-5 minutes but can’t say I was surprised either. I also understand the value of Bohannon’s free throw shooting at end of games but I’d be comfortable with JoeT shooting free throws to seal a victory as well despite the one game at the barn he failed to do so. This was the year I thought was supposed to be his team. Not sure next year would be his team to run based on what was indicated to him this year. Good to win road games in the B1G.
Stagnant periods like the 8 minutes of no ball movement today is where C Mac's leadership matters. He tells the other guys what to do. Big down the stretch against Indiana also. He's really Iowa's only tough guy.

Mystified at the minutes Ahron gets at Joey's expense. Joe T and Jordan would be fine down the stretch. You get the free throws and Joey T's superior D. Make the other guy eat up their clock down the stretch and keep that pressing and trapping going.

Great game by Rebraca today

Joe T was solid

A bad defensive team like Iowa will give up big runs on the road. Good thing they were so efficient on offense in the first half
Some of the shots MN made were circus shots. The 3s that Battle was making in the second half were from Steph depth. I really thought that Minny would complete the comeback, but Iowa held on.

Just rewatched the second half.

Ugly by just about everyone besides Keegan. He needs to be the middle man in zone offense.

Fran brought the starters back in after a few bad possessions by the bench that let the lead get down to 13 and it went from bad to worse quickly.

With the exception of Keegan starters couldn't rebound, defend, take care of the ball or make open shots.

It looks like there's no set plan for ball screens which was maybe the biggest problem.

If Iowa would just play the best defenders, auto switch everything and then box out this game probably never gets close.
This. Watching Pat and JBO in the screen game actually makes me sick to my stomach. What’s interesting is the pick and roll game is something they’ve grown up with. The fact that neither one still have a clue how to defend it floors me.

Stagnant periods like the 8 minutes of no ball movement today is where C Mac's leadership matters. He tells the other guys what to do. Big down the stretch against Indiana also. He's really Iowa's only tough guy.

Mystified at the minutes Ahron gets at Joey's expense. Joe T and Jordan would be fine down the stretch. You get the free throws and Joey T's superior D. Make the other guy eat up their clock down the stretch and keep that pressing and trapping going.
I'd be totally fine with Joe at point and Tony P at the 2 guard position at the end. Better defense and they are both hitting FT's at 90+%.

Reactions: RocknRollface

The coach should be able to do that.

Thats what time outs are for.

Iowa has the players to beat zone but they weren't in the right places.

Keegan has to be the middle guy. Put your best player where you are trying to get the ball to.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Some of the shots MN made were circus shots. The 3s that Battle was making in the second half were from Steph depth. I really thought that Minny would complete the comeback, but Iowa held on.
They definitely hit some long 3's from uo top. That and our issue with giving up corner 3's reared it's ugly head again in the second half.

They definitely hit some long 3's from uo top. That and our issue with giving up corner 3's reared it's ugly head again in the second half.
Some of the shots Willis threw in in the first half were ridiculous, bouncing all around and somehow falling through. And the calls in the first half were atrocious. MN was in the bonus very early as a result.

This. Watching Pat and JBO in the screen game actually makes me sick to my stomach. What’s interesting is the pick and roll game is something they’ve grown up with. The fact that neither one still have a clue how to defend it floors me.
There were a few times where Keegan didn't switch too, one lead to a 3.

Its overall lack of attention to detail. They're just not dialed in. Its like they try to figure it out as it happens instead of just having a set plan.

Minnesota only has 3 offensive weapons and most possessions they were screening for eachother.

A simple switch cancels most of that out and makes them play one on one.

There were a few times where Keegan didn't switch too, one lead to a 3.

Its overall lack of attention to detail. They're just not dialed in. Its like they try to figure it out as it happens instead of just having a set plan.

Minnesota only has 3 offensive weapons and most possessions they were screening for eachother.

A simple switch cancels most of that out and makes them play one on one.

The attention to detail on Defense has been a long standing issue with Fran's program.

Billy Taylor musta recruited Ulis as he gave JoeTs minutes…

ADVERTISEMENT