ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa moves up to 4th.

Villanova is a good team (because they beat Texas), and apparently losing on the road to Minny isn't a big deal these days. Iowa is at 4 because of the metrics, Garza, passing the eye test for the most part. We have no wins against great teams, so it could be wondered why Iowa is that high atm.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Villanova is a good team (because they beat Texas), and apparently losing on the road to Minny isn't a big deal these days. Iowa is at 4 because of the metrics, Garza, passing the eye test for the most part. We have no wins against great teams, so it could be wondered why Iowa is that high atm.
Iowa has the most quad one wins in the top 25 of the NET standings.

What it does mean is that we control our destiny in determining how high of a seed we may be come March, which is all that really matters.

in looking over Top25, checked in on Va Tech to see how Pemsl is doing and noticed he's not played since late December game vs. Miami. Is Cordell injured?

And we probably aren't the fourth best team either,.. We just don't typically perform well under the bright lights so I'm happy to lay in the weeds somewhat,.. Too many years as a Hawkeye fan I guess...
I don’t know.. We know the top 2.. looking at the rest of the top 10 I’m not seeing the case where we wouldn’t be considered top 4..

Reactions: HawkBall23
And we probably aren't the fourth best team either,.. We just don't typically perform well under the bright lights so I'm happy to lay in the weeds somewhat,.. Too many years as a Hawkeye fan I guess...
I hear you there. Believe me, I'm still pissed off to this day about how the last few season's we were ranked in the top 10 (at some point that is) ended. Fingers crossed on the ever-dreaded "Fran Fade".

Keep the faith, This team has the “it”factor

I was predicting Louisville would remain ranked (25'ish) while the Illini would fall out...other than that no real surprises this week.

I hear you there. Believe me, I'm still pissed off to this day about how the last few season's we were ranked in the top 10 (at some point that is) ended. Fingers crossed on the ever-dreaded "Fran Fade".
This has been one crazy year, and no one knows yet how the schedule will be affected, but I'll make this prediction. This team will NOT fade! Not with the leadership on this team, not this year, NOT.......

Reactions: 24 so far
Texas is about the only school behind us that has any "great teams" wins, with a win over Kansas, where you could make a good case for someone to be ranked higher. Michigan has that win over Wisconsin at home, but got pummeled at Minnesota. Other than that, Minnesota at home, just like us, is their other good win. Timing of wins matters more than anything. Iowa beating UNC when they were 16, looked good at the time, #19 NW by 15 at home looked good, and at #14 Rutgers looked really good at the time.

Iowa moves up 4 spots in the Coaches Poll to 4th place as well.

For those discussing an Iowa fade, this team is not past teams. This team is focused and getting better each week. They deserve to be where they are ranked.

Texas is about the only school behind us that has any "great teams" wins, with a win over Kansas, where you could make a good case for someone to be ranked higher. Michigan has that win over Wisconsin at home, but got pummeled at Minnesota. Other than that, Minnesota at home, just like us, is their other good win. Timing of wins matters more than anything. Iowa beating UNC when they were 16, looked good at the time, #19 NW by 15 at home looked good, and at #14 Rutgers looked really good at the time.
Yup. Not our fault we broke Rutgers, North Carolina, and Northwestern.

Notice the big gap between #2 & #3, the small gap between #3 & #4 and the big gap between #4 & #5.

My guess is that Baylor holds serve in the B12, Gonzaga and Nova stay where they are. My best guess is that the Iowa/Michigan winner wins the B1G and gets that fourth #1 seed.

I look forward to Luka showing Dickinson what being in shape looks like. Treat him like he did Liam Neeson.

Kid is good but he isn't in Garza's neighborhood, not even close.
What did Luka do to Liam? Was he "Taken", or did someone get to his, "next of Kin"....... o_O

• Haha
I will take #1 in 🏀 at the end of the year rather than #1 in 🏀 for the next six weeks.

My guess is that Baylor holds serve in the B12, Gonzaga and Nova stay where they are. My best guess is that the Iowa/Michigan winner wins the B1G and gets that fourth #1 seed.

That would be my guess as well.

I don’t know.. We know the top 2.. looking at the rest of the top 10 I’m not seeing the case where we wouldn’t be considered top 4..

There isn't one. This Iowa team can play with and beat any team in the country on any given day. Need to keep playing defense and Jbo needs to stay hot.

Last edited:
There isn't one. This Iowa team can play with and beat any team in the country on any given day. Need to keep playing defense and Jbo needs to stay hot.
Jbo hitting 3s at a 50% clip makes a world of a difference. Something that not many have discussed is Iowa's improved D. It's not a top 10 in the country D, but looking at the BT conference games only, Iowa is playing serviceable defense. Iowa's D has improved.

Jbo hitting 3s at a 50% clip makes a world of a difference. Something that not many have discussed is Iowa's improved D. It's not a top 10 in the country D, but looking at the BT conference games only, Iowa is playing serviceable defense. Iowa's D has improved.
7th in big ten games.. That’ll do! Last year it was 12th and we were headed for a 5-6 seed.

7th in big ten games.. That’ll do! Last year it was 12th and we were headed for a 5-6 seed.
In BT only games, Iowa's FG% defense is 3rd in the conference.

Percent Defense
Field Goal Percent Defense
IndexTeamGFGMFGAPCT
1Michigan71704450.382
2Illinois81974740.416
3Iowa71884510.417
4Purdue81924600.417
5Ohio State82014730.425
6Wisconsin71784180.426
7Minnesota82165020.430
8Michigan State61483350.442
9Rutgers82044490.454