ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa, Nebby, Mich, tOSU To Play Big 12 Rumor

Michigan and Ohio state voted to not play this year.

Amazing how anyone with a twitter account can start a rumor.

I would doubt that this happens, as one attribute of the Big 10 has been that its conference members stick together. But the majority of the presidents seem to be fine with driving right over the cliff of making the conference irrelevant. I would imagine the OSU president will be gone shortly. The folks in Ohio like some football.

It would certainly be an interesting scenario, with 4 Big 10 teams joining the Big 12. You would immediately have 2 7-team divisions. I can't really envision the Big 12 going for it though. TV contracts would have to be amended on the fly, and a whole host of other details. But nothing would surprise me in 2020.

Reactions: ChrisVarick
More like Big 12, SEC and ACC plus Iowa and Nebraska form some kind of makeshift league. Iowa’s 10 game pod includes Iowa State, Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, OK State, Norte Dame and Louisville.

This is so stupid. There is no possible way a Big 10 school would combine with another conference for one season. Just stop

Reactions: SB_SB
ND nosed its way into the ACC's conference-only schedule (after gradually becoming basically a part-time member).

It's really not that far-fetched that B1G schools that want to play would opt for a similar short-term solution.
It is extremely far-fetched and ridiculous to even be brought up. Iowa is going to risk the Big 10 relationship to play football in another conference?

Michigan and Ohio state voted to not play this year.

Amazing how anyone with a twitter account can start a rumor.
9e2G.gif

No one is talking permanent moves here, nor should they. But if the B1G is gonna drag their feet and the presidents are gonna cancel without any input from their coaches or players, a temporary fix might be needed.

Certainly a poor showing from Warren so far.

Riiight. There are probably a million reasons why what you are proposing can't happen. The legal contracts alone prevent this from happening. At least I would suspect they would. I doubt they have a "in case the season is canceled due to a global pandemic" clause in them.

If there is any shred of truth to this, it wouldnt be that "they join the Big 12" it would be that the Big Ten teams would schedule each other and then fill out the rest of their schedule with Big 12 teams.

Nebraska, Iowa, OSU, etc would basically be independent for the season.

Frost pretty much straight up said Nebraska was playing football this year unless all the conferences cancel.

Reactions: wbrhawkeye
If there is any shred of truth to this, it wouldnt be that "they join the Big 12" it would be that the Big Ten teams would schedule each other and then fill out the rest of their schedule with Big 12 teams.

Frost pretty much straight up said Nebraska was playing football this year unless all the conferences cancel.

It really doesn't matter what Frost thinks ir wants. The B10 is not going to allow one or two schools to play a football season. In the end it doesn't matter because all fall sports will be cancelled everywhere.

After what has happened this year, I would not be surprised by anything. I would give the odds at any Big 10 schools playing in any other conference for a year at very low. But it's more than zero, which is what I would have said in past years. If Warren floated the trial balloon in the USA Today about the conference cancelling with the presumption that the presidents would follow, this could be the shortest lived commissioner in the history of the Big 10. The way this has been handled by the conference has been an unmitigated disaster. You don't release your schedule and 3 days later cancel the season.

There is zero reason they can't at least try to play a season. Well, there is a reason but it's not great. They put protocols and processes in place. If they can't control positive tests within acceptable levels, then you cancel and try in the spring.

After what has happened this year, I would not be surprised by anything. I would give the odds at any Big 10 schools playing in any other conference for a year at very low. But it's more than zero, which is what I would have said in past years. If Warren floated the trial balloon in the USA Today about the conference cancelling with the presumption that the presidents would follow, this could be the shortest lived commissioner in the history of the Big 10. The way this has been handled by the conference has been an unmitigated disaster. You don't release your schedule and 3 days later cancel the season.

There is zero reason they can't at least try to play a season. Well, there is a reason but it's not great. They put protocols and processes in place. If they can't control positive tests within acceptable levels, then you cancel and try in the spring.

Warren also said he’d be fine with his son playing football. He should be out IMO.

It really doesn't matter what Frost thinks ir wants. The B10 is not going to allow one or two schools to play a football season. In the end it doesn't matter because all fall sports will be cancelled everywhere.

Maybe, maybe not. We will see

Could happen! I hear from sources that the Big 12 has stockpiled huge amounts of hydroxychloroquine....so they've addressed the safety factor.
If they take it early, they are going to be much better off. If they add it at the time of intubation, not much benefit.

I could seriously see Nebraska dumping the B1G and getting back into the B12 to have football this fall.

I could seriously see Nebraska dumping the B1G and getting back into the B12 to have football this fall.
They would instantly go from 14th place in the B1G to top 3 of the Big12.

That’s how extremely weak the Big12 & how extremely tough the B1G is.

Give me a SEC schedule any day of the week over a B1G schedule. Easier to rack up wins in that conference.

Reactions: Madman_1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT