ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa-Nebraska Game Postponed

Apr 8, 2003
IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The men's basketball game between Nebraska and Iowa scheduled for Sunday, Jan. 24, will be postponed.

The Cornhuskers continue to pause team activities for a minimum of seven more days due to additional positive COVID-19 results among its Tier 1 personnel. Tier 1 personnel include student athletes, coaches and any staff member whose job requires close regular contact.

The two institutions will work with the Big Ten Conference to identify rescheduling options.

The postponement is the second to affect the Hawkeyes the last week (Michigan State, Jan. 14).

I don't get how a team gets this out of control with Covid.

Why not? It happened to Iowa--it just happened to be in the offseason. No one is perfect with disinfection protocols outside of tightly controlled healthcare environments (and not always there) and non-medical grade masks are only partially effective. That's why Covid tends to happen in clusters among people in close contact and most of those clusters are not knuckleheads completely ignoring precautions. This is just another instance of that.

Until the vaccine is more widely disseminated these things are going to just continue to be part of life.

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The men's basketball game between Nebraska and Iowa scheduled for Sunday, Jan. 24, will be postponed.

The Cornhuskers continue to pause team activities for a minimum of seven more days due to additional positive COVID-19 results among its Tier 1 personnel. Tier 1 personnel include student athletes, coaches and any staff member whose job requires close regular contact.

The two institutions will work with the Big Ten Conference to identify rescheduling options.

The postponement is the second to affect the Hawkeyes the last week (Michigan State, Jan. 14).

We are supposed to have 13 reg season games left. 2 of those 13, however, have been postponed.

What's your gut feeling that we play all 13 of those games?

I don't get how a team gets this out of control with Covid.
See thats the thing. There is basically NO WAY they are following protacals. The daily testing supposedly shows up BEFORE the player is contagious. If you get a positive, that player is removed from the group and given the more certain test. If that one is positive then he's removed for 17 days. Thats my understanding. Either they are not doing the daily testing or something is fishy going on, for them to have 13 cases out of basically 20 or so people should simply not be possible.

See thats the thing. There is basically NO WAY they are following protacals. The daily testing supposedly shows up BEFORE the player is contagious. If you get a positive, that player is removed from the group and given the more certain test. If that one is positive then he's removed for 17 days. Thats my understanding. Either they are not doing the daily testing or something is fishy going on, for them to have 13 cases out of basically 20 or so people should simply not be possible.

Exactly

As others have said, I'd favor the conference tournament being cancelled in favor of playing them. Not likely to happen though.
I wish the B1G would come out & say what the plan is. Maybe the 14 ADs know.

I am guessing they will try to get all the reg season games in PLUS play the BTT.

But that is all we can do at the moment. Guess.

Well, that's a downer after a good road win to take a share of the conference lead.

Basically a free win taken off the board (for now).

Reactions: wbrhawkeye
Let’s try and get a home game against Michigan instead. We can trash them by 20 at Carver too!
In all seriousness, as these things continue to happen, they should try moving games up that are scheduled for later in the year, provided the scheduling ripple effects aren't too wild. The conference is going to need free time at the end of the year.

Iowa UNI would be better. Our schedule already presents us plenty of ammo for a one seed.. don’t need to risk breaking momentum with drake game.. conservative standpoint but just not worth the risk! I’d be ok if anyone’s push back was if you can’t beat drake stop talking top 2 seed..

As others have said, I'd favor the conference tournament being cancelled in favor of playing them. Not likely to happen though.
I'd agree but only because Iowa won't need a good showing or win the tournament to go dancing. How will the conference determine the winner if teams play different amount of conference games? By winning percentage?

I actually expected Nebraska to handle the COVID OK just because I assumed they had it last March. If you remember, Hoiberg was visibly very ill on the bench in their last game and it was right after that everything shut down because of COVID. We didn’t have testing available at the time but I always just assumed Hoiberg had the Rona. I guess maybe not if he really has it now.

Reactions: SotaHawk87
ADVERTISEMENT