ADVERTISEMENT

IOWA NIL

I don't understand why the subject of BIG TV money keeps coming up in these posts. The school CAN NOT pay the players from University funds! Thats not NIL. We have beat this to death, and whatever $ the school brings in can NOT be used for the "Name Image and Likeness" scenario. They are still NOT employees of the school..... o_O
You're right but you're wrong. Schools can't pay, but the more money schools make is less they really need from donors and thats more nil money.

GB and KF being hesitant and slow to adapt to the realities, be they good or bad, of college football in the 2020s. Shocking.
Yeah, and the attitude of those two is probably the biggest negative when it comes to Iowa successfully implementing NIL at Iowa. Ferentz doesn't embrace it. He wants it to go away. He's already spoken about how this influx of money into college football is a bad thing and will unlevel the playing field among teams, as if that weren't already the case.

As previously "reported" here and on Tom Kakert's podcast, Iowa's NIL Collective will be open and running shortly. Because there is no Phil Knight or T Boone Pickens-like Iowa donors, it will welcome, and be funded in part by, contributions from this message board crowd. I hope that all those that are complaining will write checks.

Like it or not, because Iowa lacks a meaningful mega donor class enjoyed by many other schools, there is a balancing act here that Barta/Ferentz have to walk in terms of regular donor funding of the Athletic department and funding of an NIL Collective. Barta/Ferentz aren't perfect---and reasonable arguments can be made that they don't push the envelope---but an Iowa NIL Collective is not a "snap your fingers and it's done" undertaking.

Reactions: dmaw and Tx_Hawk
What if the NIL Collective partnered with the players and a vendor to make custom shirts for specific players or position groups and sold them on Melrose during gamedays? I think this would be a great way to drive revenue for players. Imagine how much money Stanzi would've made from the "Love It or Leave It" shirts in 2010. You could also create position group shirts such as TEU and all tight ends get the revenue or Michigan's run the damn ball shirt and the OL gets the revenue.

Is that possible?

As previously "reported" here and on Tom Kakert's podcast, Iowa's NIL Collective will be open and running shortly. Because there is no Phil Knight or T Boone Pickens-like Iowa donors, it will welcome, and be funded in part by, contributions from this message board crowd. I hope that all those that are complaining will write checks.

Like it or not, because Iowa lacks a meaningful mega donor class enjoyed by many other schools, there is a balancing act here that Barta/Ferentz have to walk in terms of regular donor funding of the Athletic department and funding of an NIL Collective. Barta/Ferentz aren't perfect---and reasonable arguments can be made that they don't push the envelope---but an Iowa NIL Collective is not a "snap your fingers and it's done" undertaking.
I'll write a big check if we get an offense that comes out firing and not afraid of scoring. We need to be top 10 with this salty defense. Need another nice 3 year run of top 10 finishes and playoff appearance then let KF hang it up.

I'll write a big check if we get an offense that comes out firing and not afraid of scoring. We need to be top 10 with this salty defense. Need another nice 3 year run of top 10 finishes and playoff appearance then let KF hang it up.
And hand over the keys to Brian.

Just curious, if this year was Tyler Linderbaum's start to his junior season where do you think he'd be playing? If say USC paid him +$250k and he left. Is Iowa still "just fine"?
How about if he said "No, thank you" and stayed (like he did). Would YOU be fine?

I think it will die down. Once people pump a lot of money into NIL and their teams still don’t win a national title they will be pissed and stop doing it at the levels we will see initially.

if Jimbo wins a title at A&M with his NIL army than we will see even more.

there were only 4-10 teams with a real shot at a national title before NIL. I don’t think it changes anything. Except maybe hurt some non-revenue sports. Because people only have so much money. Money to a single player likely equals less money to the general fund.

I agree to alot of what you say. What happens if Mr. NIL 4 or 5 star recruit comes in as a freshman and is a bust on the field or gets a DUI, bad grades etc.? Does the NIL money go away? If the NIL high dollar team under performs are they forced to go to the transfer portal to restock? How are the high $ NIL players treated by teammates particularly if they don't perform? Exactly why would a company pay an unproven athlete?

What if the NIL Collective partnered with the players and a vendor to make custom shirts for specific players or position groups and sold them on Melrose during gamedays? I think this would be a great way to drive revenue for players. Imagine how much money Stanzi would've made from the "Love It or Leave It" shirts in 2010. You could also create position group shirts such as TEU and all tight ends get the revenue or Michigan's run the damn ball shirt and the OL gets the revenue.

Is that possible?
This is what The Swarm, Inc (not the 501c3) will do. And these kids will hopefully have a personal online marketplace where they can sell those shirts (or their time) as well to fans. This is the goal. It’s not a snap your fingers and it is done kind of thing, but we are working on it.

I agree to alot of what you say. What happens if Mr. NIL 4 or 5 star recruit comes in as a freshman and is a bust on the field or gets a DUI, bad grades etc.? Does the NIL money go away? If the NIL high dollar team under performs are they forced to go to the transfer portal to restock? How are the high $ NIL players treated by teammates particularly if they don't perform? Exactly why would a company pay an unproven athlete?
Those are all some of the same questions/reasons why our coaches want the focus to be on the kids who are already here, not the ones who we are recruiting.

Hey! I have an idea!

They could form a 501(c)(3) called the Swarm Collective. Anyone can donate to it and the money you give is tax deductible. The money could be used to pay a stipend to every player regardless of position on the team. The athletes that get the stipend could then volunteer (as a condition of the stipend) to help local charities raise money, by making appearances, signing autographs, making some calls, whatever. The athletes get some money and helps local charities accomplish their missions.

Then we could start another organization called the Swarm. This could be where the athletes get the NIL money. It would be primarily for business taking advantage of NIL - helping the Hawks get (and keep) players. Businesses would be able to deduct these payments as business expenses. I suppose individuals could contribute as well, but no deduction.

And THEN, we could get a couple of former athletes to run the organizations! One would primarily be an administrator and the other one could be a fund raiser!

What do you think? Great idea, right?

:rolleyes:
I want to know how much money everyone here bitching about “KF and GB not embracing NIL” have given to the Swarm Collective. 50 grand range? 25 grand? It’s gotta be at the very least 10 grand.

I mean, there’s no way they’re just wanting KF to take time away from his duties to do something that’s specifically illegal (university employees can’t directly engage in NIL) and for other people to spend money that they themselves aren’t spending.

How much have you given to the Swarm Collective @mikesright , @Irvin 88 , @HawkGem10 , @Gonzo Bloor . You four alone could probably buy us an oline to compete with Ohio State or Texas, I assume.

Another concern I have - how much money will this NIL mess divert from ACTUAL charities?

Booster, "So, I can give to Dance Marathon or the Stead Family Children's Hospital and help some sick kids, OR I can help the Hawks land some players to win more games. Hmmmmmmm ....."

"Sorry kids".

:mad:

Another concern I have - how much money will this NIL mess divert from ACTUAL charities?

Booster, "So, I can give to Dance Marathon or the Stead Family Children's Hospital and help some sick kids, OR I can help the Hawks land some players to win more games. Hmmmmmmm ....."

"Sorry kids".

:mad:
OR….you can go pay $50 for a Kris Murray autograph at a dance marathon fundraiser where all proceeds go to the dance marathon and get some Iowa merchandise and the $50 goes straight to the same charity you were going to support anyway.

How about looking for a win/win here instead of the other way around??

OR….you can go pay $50 for a Kris Murray autograph at a dance marathon fundraiser where all proceeds go to the dance marathon and get some Iowa merchandise and the $50 goes straight to the same charity you were going to support anyway.

How about looking for a win/win here instead of the other way around??
How is that an NIL deal?

Yeah, and the attitude of those two is probably the biggest negative when it comes to Iowa successfully implementing NIL at Iowa. Ferentz doesn't embrace it. He wants it to go away. He's already spoken about how this influx of money into college football is a bad thing and will unlevel the playing field among teams, as if that weren't already the case.
Is there a bigger sport in the state than Iowa football??

KF promoted his son to QB coach, unproven and got a raise...

So, if I want to have a birthday party for my 8 year old twins (boy and girl), could I hire 5 basketball players under some NIL association to work the party? They could play hoops with my son and his friends and then my daughter and her friends could put makeup and women's clothing on them?

How much do you think that would cost me? I'm pretty sure NIL is going to have some type of "whoring" effect for players.

I mean the Cubs are still paying Jason Heyward. happens all the time in sports

ADVERTISEMENT