ADVERTISEMENT

IOWA NIL

hexumhawk

HR Legend
Sep 24, 2003
North Liberty
Feels like Iowa is not embracing the current landscape of college football and NIL. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems like we are refusing to play the game at the same level others are. Is this a Barta stance, KF stance, or am I not seeing this clearly? With the amount of money that we have and the money we will be getting with new TV contracts, Iowa really needs to embrace the new norm or it will not have the success that it is looking to have.

Granted, all of this could change by this time next year, but this is the current reality. I would love to see the NCAA reign this in and put some parameters on this to keep the playing field a little more even.

Feels like Iowa is not embracing the current landscape of college football and NIL. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems like we are refusing to play the game at the same level others are. Is this a Barta stance, KF stance, or am I not seeing this clearly? With the amount of money that we have and the money we will be getting with new TV contracts, Iowa really needs to embrace the new norm or it will not have the success that it is looking to have.

Granted, all of this could change by this time next year, but this is the current reality. I would love to see the NCAA reign this in and put some parameters on this to keep the playing field a little more even.
See my post on the bball forum - barta summer….
Iowa will be ok. Slow start but doing it right.

Last edited:

"Same level that others are"

Others, like Texas, Texas A&M, Bama, USC, tOSU, and other bluebloods?

"Same level that others are"

Others, like Texas, Texas A&M, Bama, USC, tOSU, and other bluebloods?
Iowa will still be at a disadvantage vs some but has some positives:
Big 10 $$.
Large donor/alumni base. Law school, business, medical schools.
State with no pro teams will help top players get local/state endorsement deals.
Biggest disadvantages are no phil knight, buffet, ryan (nw), etc, etc. small population base with another p5/6 team. These were already a disadvantage.

Big 10 $$.
State with no pro teams will help top players get local/state endorsement deals.
Biggest disadvantages are no phil knight, buffet, ryan (nw), etc, etc. small population base with another p5/6 team. These were already a disadvantage.
Agree

Pros
Huge BIG10 cash
Top priority in the state with no pro teams
Stable coaching staff
Huge alumni base that should be generally well off (doctors, lawyers, dentists, etc.)

Negs:
Out of state travel for recruiting generally
No giant money man or donor

Last edited:
Agree

Cons:
Huge BIG10 cash
Top priority in the state with no pro teams
Stable coaching staff
Huge alumni base that should be generally well off (doctors, lawyers, dentists, etc.)

Negs:
Out of state travel for recruiting generally
No giant money man or donor
I'm not sure you know what "Cons" means.

Reactions: nu2u
Big 10 $$.
Big 10 $$$ isn't getting pumped into NIL deals. How many times does that need to get stated?

Yeah, we do ok on donors, to the university AD. To be seen how that translates to NIL funding. We're also the 2nd smallest public school in the B1G, so that alumni base isn't growing at the same pace as other schools. Our likely biggest NIL deal we're aware about is our women's basketball HyVee deal or a Carlos O'Kelly's commercial split 3 ways with one player not even in school anymore. Good luck.

Big 10 $$$ isn't getting pumped into NIL deals. How many times does that need to get stated?

Yeah, we do ok on donors, to the university AD. To be seen how that translates to NIL funding. We're also the 2nd smallest public school in the B1G and every year our Alumni base gets smaller than other schools. Our likely biggest NIL deal we're aware about is our women's basketball HyVee deal or a Carlos O'Kelly's commercial split 3 ways with one player not even in school anymore. Good luck.
616cca9607c69.image.png

GB and KF being hesitant and slow to adapt to the realities, be they good or bad, of college football in the 2020s. Shocking.

Not directly, but the more money the schools get from the B1G's next tv contract the less they will need to rely on people making donations to the Athletic Department. That way they aren't having to "compete" with the collective for donor dollars.

Not directly, but the more money the schools get from the B1G's next tv contract the less they will need to rely on people making donations to the Athletic Department. That way they aren't having to "compete" with the collective for donor dollars.
If you don’t think the AD is still going to be pushing hard for the donations they always have…

Reactions: doughuddl2
If you don’t think the AD is still going to be pushing hard for the donations they always have…
Correct. Iowa isn't going to stop asking for donations just because TV money increased. There are still legitimate things to fund (facilities, travel budgets for all sports, coach salaries) and along with it huge administrative overhead costs. All of the Assistant Directors and other myriads of administrators in the AD have to get funded somewhere.

Reactions: BBHawk
GB and KF being hesitant and slow to adapt to the realities, be they good or bad, of college football in the 2020s. Shocking.
I saw an interview with KF recently where he basically said he starts his morning off now everyday by reading whatever news he can find on NIL. I was pleasantly surprised that he seemed to realize it’s a total game changer, although he doesn’t have that much ability to directly impact it beyond maybe just encouraging our donor base to step up to the plate, which is what I think Ryan Day and Nick Saban were basically doing in their recent comments that generated so much press.

And as has been said on this board several times, we don’t necessarily need to be able to compete with OSU and Texas A&M, etc. on this. But we do want to make sure we are competitive with those schools we consider our peer group in the West like Wisconsin, etc. We really can’t afford to fall behind them on NIL.

Reactions: dmaw and Ree4

Yeah, we do ok on donors, to the university AD. To be seen how that translates to NIL funding. We're also the 2nd smallest public school in the B1G, so that alumni base isn't growing at the same pace as other schools. Our likely biggest NIL deal we're aware about is our women's basketball HyVee deal or a Carlos O'Kelly's commercial split 3 ways with one player not even in school anymore. Good luck.
NO shit - Did I write it was?
The Big 10 $$ will allow the athletic dept to ease up on fundraising from supporters. Those $$ can now go to the NIL.

Hey! I have an idea!

They could form a 501(c)(3) called the Swarm Collective. Anyone can donate to it and the money you give is tax deductible. The money could be used to pay a stipend to every player regardless of position on the team. The athletes that get the stipend could then volunteer (as a condition of the stipend) to help local charities raise money, by making appearances, signing autographs, making some calls, whatever. The athletes get some money and helps local charities accomplish their missions.

Then we could start another organization called the Swarm. This could be where the athletes get the NIL money. It would be primarily for business taking advantage of NIL - helping the Hawks get (and keep) players. Businesses would be able to deduct these payments as business expenses. I suppose individuals could contribute as well, but no deduction.

And THEN, we could get a couple of former athletes to run the organizations! One would primarily be an administrator and the other one could be a fund raiser!

What do you think? Great idea, right?

:rolleyes:

Hey! I have an idea!

They could form a 501(c)(3) called the Swarm Collective. Anyone can donate to it and the money you give is tax deductible. The money could be used to pay a stipend to every player regardless of position on the team. The athletes that get the stipend could then volunteer (as a condition of the stipend) to help local charities raise money, by making appearances, signing autographs, making some calls, whatever. The athletes get some money and helps local charities accomplish their missions.

Then we could start another organization called the Swarm. This could be where the athletes get the NIL money. It would be primarily for business taking advantage of NIL - helping the Hawks get (and keep) players. Businesses would be able to deduct these payments as business expenses. I suppose individuals could contribute as well, but no deduction.

And THEN, we could get a couple of former athletes to run the organizations! One would primarily be an administrator and the other one could be a fund raiser!

Forget it! TL/DR/DC

😉

Hey! I have an idea!

Funny part to me is I know who the one director is but no clue who tx hawk is.

Is that real? I don't think I've ever seen a pizza commercial where the 'talent' is holding the whole pie in their hands.And the producer who OK'd that shirt, should rethink producing anything again or at least relieve themselves of wardrobe decisions. LMAO

I don't understand why the subject of BIG TV money keeps coming up in these posts. The school CAN NOT pay the players from University funds! Thats not NIL. We have beat this to death, and whatever $ the school brings in can NOT be used for the "Name Image and Likeness" scenario. They are still NOT employees of the school..... o_O

Last edited:
I don't understand why the subject of BIG TV money keeps coming up in these posts. The school CAN NOT pay the players from University funds! Thats not NIL. We have beat this to death, and whatever $ the school brings in can NOT be used for the "Name Image and Likeness" scenario. They are still NOT employers of the school..... o_O
You are correct.

One billion + dollars, and none of it goes to any of the B1G players who are making it happen!

Iowa will be fine. We basically have a top 15-20 program. That will not change. NIL will most likely make 9-10 wins per year pretty dependable. Occasionally the team will go above that and make a solid run at a top 10 finish. Iowa will not be competing with the top teams for the 5-star players unless they are Iowans or legacy recruits. We never have, so nothing will change.

Yeah from everything I have read Iowa is not embracing this the way the rest of college football is. Iowa doesn’t necessarily need $13 million like Ohio State but they do need to be within a certain spitting distance.

They also need to spend resources wisely as well. Paying or offering to pay a 4 or 5 star recruit the same as a last minute 2 star offer at TE will be a massive waste of resources that will result in us losing veteran players as well as not getting Big Ten quality high school recruits.

See my post on the bball forum - barta summer….
Iowa will be ok. Slow start but doing it right.
There is no doing it wrong right now except how Iowa is trying to do it right when there are no rules as to what right is.......all they are doing i putting themselves far far beind.

Funny part to me is I know who the one director is but no clue who tx hawk is.
You will know soon enough. I’m just keeping my anonymity until such time that we announce this to the public and can begin taking donations hopefully from people like you.

Regardless, don’t get too excited. I’m not anybody that people have heard of unless you operate in the actuarial space. I’m simply like one of you and just decided that it was time to step forward and do some philanthropy.

This was probably for one nights beer money and 3 free medium pizzas. Sad it might actually be in the top 5 deals we've had so far.
Although I don’t think the exact amount has been disclosed publicly, IIRC Fran mentioned in an interview that it was a 4 figure payment. So a bit more than just pocket change.

Reactions: BBHawk
Iowa thinking small....as usual. KF should have been run out of town after the 2014 season...fact!!! Thinking big for him is winning a watered down West every 3-4 years and hoping that the East is having a down season.

• Haha
Reactions: Frosty7130
Iowa thinking small....as usual. KF should have been run out of town after the 2014 season...fact!!! Thinking big for him is winning a watered down West every 3-4 years and hoping that the East is having a down season.

I would love to see an alternative universe in which KF was fired post 2014, and the Hawks hired some BIG THINKER. Maybe someone like PJ Fleck. :rolleyes:

It'd be interesting to see if the next guy could win 72% of the time, go to the Rose Bowl, win 3 bowls, and go to 2 B1G Championship games.

Yeah I'm sure OSU, PSU and Michigan are looking at it that way. 😆 🤣 😂

I saw an interview with KF recently where he basically said he starts his morning off now everyday by reading whatever news he can find on NIL. I was pleasantly surprised that he seemed to realize it’s a total game changer, although he doesn’t have that much ability to directly impact it beyond maybe just encouraging our donor base to step up to the plate, which is what I think Ryan Day and Nick Saban were basically doing in their recent comments that generated so much press.

And as has been said on this board several times, we don’t necessarily need to be able to compete with OSU and Texas A&M, etc. on this. But we do want to make sure we are competitive with those schools we consider our peer group in the West like Wisconsin, etc. We really can’t afford to fall behind them on NIL.
Well let's us know when Iowa gets their website up to take donations like Wisconsin does. And Iowa state.

Waiting for your challenge to all HROTers to match your pledge. 😆

Iowa will be fine. We basically have a top 15-20 program. That will not change. NIL will most likely make 9-10 wins per year pretty dependable. Occasionally the team will go above that and make a solid run at a top 10 finish. Iowa will not be competing with the top teams for the 5-star players unless they are Iowans or legacy recruits. We never have, so nothing will change.
Just curious, if this year was Tyler Linderbaum's start to his junior season where do you think he'd be playing? If say USC paid him +$250k and he left. Is Iowa still "just fine"?

Reactions: dmaw
I think it will die down. Once people pump a lot of money into NIL and their teams still don’t win a national title they will be pissed and stop doing it at the levels we will see initially.

if Jimbo wins a title at A&M with his NIL army than we will see even more.

there were only 4-10 teams with a real shot at a national title before NIL. I don’t think it changes anything. Except maybe hurt some non-revenue sports. Because people only have so much money. Money to a single player likely equals less money to the general fund.

Reactions: Lumas Etima
ADVERTISEMENT