May 2, 2016
St Donatus, IA
Here's what I'll project as the Starting Offensive Line, for early Fall:

LT: B Myers
LG: K Render
C: J Daniels
RG: S Welcsh
RT: L Paulson

Coincidentally, I believe this is the Line that blew Nebraska away in November.

GO HAWKS :)

Ike Boettger will be at either LG or RT, but he will be in the top 5 and he was one of the players on the field against Nebraska.

Alaric Jackson may be in the conversation also.

Congrats on going 3/5 spelling names correctly. Really helps your credibility.
Is Ike going to be hurt?
La. or Le. Paulsen will not be playing tackle next season unless there are injuries.
Jackson will be the 2nd or 3rd tackle behind Myers and possibly Ike. If Jackson beats out Ike for the RT spot Ike will slide over to LG.

The best 4 are clearly Daniels, Welsh, Myers, and Ike. Render, Paulsen, and Jackson will be fighting it out to see who fills out that 5th spot.

The obsession continues.

Congrats on going 3/5 spelling names correctly. Really helps your credibility.
Is Ike going to be hurt?
La. or Le. Paulsen will not be playing tackle next season unless there are injuries.
Jackson will be the 2nd or 3rd tackle behind Myers and possibly Ike. If Jackson beats out Ike for the RT spot Ike will slide over to LG.

The best 4 are clearly Daniels, Welsh, Myers, and Ike. Render, Paulsen, and Jackson will be fighting it out to see who fills out that 5th spot.
I would anticipate that this post is spot-on.

The big question will be "fit" ... and whether we rotate personnel at all. I could see the staff rotating Render and Paulsen at OG. If Jackson is viewed as the #5, then Myers will slide over to OG ... and then I don't see the personnel rotating much.

Offensive linemen don't care about spelling........they care about
Knocking the stuffing out of the girls lined up across for them.

I'll stay with my 5, for right now.

But, it's early..........GO HAWKS
I believe Render will have a hard time hanging on to a starting position. Does not appear to be as athletic as some of the younger guys.

I hope we get a ton of blitzing against us this year. Then, the quick dump off to Wadley and he is off to the goal line, a la Michigan game.

Man, Wadley could have an epic year with that experienced of an OL.

I believe Render will have a hard time hanging on to a starting position. Does not appear to be as athletic as some of the younger guys.
Consistency and meshing with the guys around you is also critical on the OL. Both of those facets of a o-lineman's game benefit from experience. Render benefited A TON from all the playing time he got through the '16 season. Right now, I would consider his "lead" for the #5 spot on the OL to be pretty large. It's not necessarily insurmountable ... but Levi and Alaric will have to really up their games if they manage to displace Render.

I hope Paulson emerges as the starting tackle. We NEED tackles bigtime! Glad he got some starts this year.

Very interested to see his brother emerge too. They were both pretty darn close talent wise, with Levi having a slight edge, IIRC... Both will only be sophomores next year. Love that!

I hope Paulson emerges as the starting tackle. We NEED tackles bigtime! Glad he got some starts this year.

Very interested to see his brother emerge too. They were both pretty darn close talent wise, with Levi having a slight edge, IIRC... Both will only be sophomores next year. Love that!

When Paulsen started the Offensive Line ran over Nebraska............
He played great............Not sure why we changed, only to stall out in
Florida??

Florida??

The whole offense stalled out.... Hopefully that changes next year with the addition of some WRs & TEs that can catch what hits them in the hands AND run the right route! Fingers Crossed...

LT - Jackson
LG - Myers
C - Daniels
RG - Welsh
RT - Ike

That's my optimistic starting 5 hoping that Alaric is too good to sit. But I could see Myers at LT and Render/Paulsen at LG.

It could go this way. Alaric goes to RT with Ike going to LG. Alaric transitions over to LT in the spring of '18. Not a big chance of this but you never know.

Florida??

Again. Paulsen did NOT start the Nebraska game. Ike was the starting tackle and played all but a handful of snaps.

See the 4:00 mark for the first snap. It is #75 at RT.

Florida??

I think it has more to do with the Florida D line and overall D being so much better than Nebraska than our OL play being issue when we stalled out vs FL. That and QB got hurt and we showed zero ability to throw.

Reactions: IowaNiceHawk
Go back and watch the tape...........L Paulsen came in played great.
You might also Note the way IOWA dominated the LOS

Are you thinking of the Purdue game? Levi started that game and played well but it helped that Purdue had some starters that didn't play on their dl.

Way too early Two deeps:

B Myers K Render J Daniels S Welsh L Paulsen/ Boettger
A Jackson R Reynolds L LeGrand D Ferguson/ Newborg/ L Paulsen/ T Wirfs

Way too early Two deeps:

B Myers K Render J Daniels S Welsh L Paulsen/ Boettger
A Jackson R Reynolds L LeGrand D Ferguson/ Newborg/ L Paulsen/ T Wirfs

Levi was an OG and Welsh moved to OT when Levi in game. Not sure he will play OT

Newborg moved to DT last Fall so time to revise your chart

Last edited:
Levi was an OG and Welsh moved to OT when Levi in game. Not sure he will play OT

Newborg moved to DT last Fall so time to revise your chart
Levi's highest quality reps were at OG. However, he also had been practicing a lot as the #2 RT. Of course, just because he's penciled in as the #2 RT doesn't mean that he'd play there ... the coaches still ultimately liked Welsh better at RT compared to our other options.

Levi's highest quality reps were at OG. However, he also had been practicing a lot as the #2 RT. Of course, just because he's penciled in as the #2 RT doesn't mean that he'd play there ... the coaches still ultimately liked Welsh better at RT compared to our other options.
I think if Ike is healthy, he'll be at one of the tackles. My hope is that A Jackson will be ready at the other. If not, would like to leave Welsh at one tackle, and either Render or Paulsen at that guard spot. It would be nice if we could have a year, where we don't lose most of the OL for several games. I think their ready to go with a good measure of experience.

LT - Jackson
LG - Myers
C - Daniels
RG - Welsh
RT - Ike

That's my optimistic starting 5 hoping that Alaric is too good to sit. But I could see Myers at LT and Render/Paulsen at LG.

Jackson will play. He is too good to sit.

I have mentioned this in another thread, but I saw an interview with Jaleel Johnson after the season was over, and out of the blue, he said something to the effect that Alaric Jackson is going to be a beast. I think we are loaded at O-Line.

Reactions: IowaNiceHawk
I have mentioned this in another thread, but I saw an interview with Jaleel Johnson after the season was over, and out of the blue, he said something to the effect that Alaric Jackson is going to be a beast. I think we are loaded at O-Line.
I remember that interview - Jaleel was talking about Lattimore and Golston ... and then he mentioned "Larry" (Alaric) shortly thereafter. The comment being that Larry was doing well and was improving.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT