ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa plans to name football field for trailblazing Black player Duke Slater, per report

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The University of Iowa plans to name the field at Kinnick Stadium for Duke Slater, a trailblazing Black player who was an All-American tackle a century ago, two people familiar with the proposal said Wednesday.

The people spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the plan to honor Slater hasn't been announced. A university spokeswoman didn't immediately return messages seeking comment.

The Iowa Board of Regents, which governs the university, is set to consider and approve "a proposed facility naming" recommended by the school at a meeting next week. No details about the agenda item have been released.

After leaving Iowa, Slater became the NFL's first Black lineman and a pioneering Chicago judge, and he will be inducted next month into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Slater died in 1966 at age 67.

Slater went to high school in Clinton, Iowa and played for the Hawkeyes from 1918 to 1921. He helped the 1921 Hawkeyes finish 7-0, including a victory over Notre Dame and coach Knute Rockne that ended their 20-game winning streak. He entered the College Football Hall of Fame in 1951.

Slater played as a two-way lineman for 10 seasons in the NFL with teams in Rock Island, Milwaukee and Chicago, becoming the longest-tenured African-American player of his era.

Slater earned a law degree from Iowa while playing in the NFL. He later worked as a lawyer in Chicago, and became one of the city's first Black judges.

The idea of honoring Slater at Iowa's stadium first surfaced more than 50 years ago. In the 1970s, University of Iowa President Willard "Sandy" Boyd proposed naming the Hawkeyes' stadium Kinnick-Slater, in part to honor of 1939 Heisman Trophy trophy winner Nile Kinnick.

Boyd's idea faced pushback from some fans and a committee who opposed having a joint name. As a compromise, the university named the stadium for the late Kinnick, and a residence hall for Slater.

Slater Residence Hall, which has housed generations of Iowa students, was the first building on Iowa's campus named for an African-American but few students have knowledge of its namesake. As a Black student, Slater himself would not have been able to live in a campus dormitory under practices in place at the time.

The university in 2019 added a bronze sculpture to commemorate Slater and the 1921 team outside Kinnick Stadium.

After protests for racial justice erupted across the nation and on campus in 2020, some supporters renewed their push to put Slater's name on the stadium. They argued that the 1970s compromise snubbed one of Iowa's greatest Black athletes and scholars.

"Changing the stadium's name can't change the past. However, it can make a statement about our identity as a university, community and fans going forward," university alumnus Cole Grolmus wrote in an op-ed piece last June.

Last year's protests also prompted several former Black players to call out the racial insensitivity they faced while playing under Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz, who apologized and made several changes, including allowing kneeling during the national anthem.

An investigation by an outside law firm hired by Iowa found the program's rules "perpetuated racial and culture biases and diminished the value of cultural diversity" and allowed coaches to demean players without consequence.

So what do we do when the next mea culpa moment comes up and we've run out of things to rename?

• Haha
Reactions: bojihawk44
I'm fine with the renaming,.. it's just unfortunate that it took recent events to even put this on the radar..
There is a Dorm named after him and a statue on the North End of Kinnick stadium. It's not like he's never been recognized.

Reactions: MikeyHawk
There is a Dorm named after him and a statue on the North End of Kinnick stadium. It's not like he's never been recognized.

Didn't say that,.. I said that without recent events doing this wouldn't have even crossed their minds.

It’s more of a mural on the North wall. The dorm is named after him, which is the first and only dorm named after an athlete (I believe/could be wrong on that). Slater’s name is also on the press box “wall of honor”.

In my opinion, the university can not do enough to honor Duke Slater and his story. It is a truly amazing tale by an even better man. A man every Iowan should know the story of. Naming the field after Slater should be an honor for every Hawkeye who gets to step on it in the name of competition.

I find myself not being able to read enough about Duke Slater. And when I do, I become more and more impressed with his accomplishments. Accomplishments that are awesome by today’s standards, let alone 100 years ago, in that era.

9369772.JPG

Reactions: Jerome Silberman
I'll be honest. I think Kinnick Stadium should be renamed Kinnick Slater Stadium. Duke was every bit as important to Iowa football history as Nile.

The dorm named after him was originally named for someone else...as the #2 tower...The University had to be shamed into renaming Reinow ll after Slater. Slater, it can be argued was UIowa’s first truly great footballer...and he happened to be black.

I think this is awesome. Itll be a great way for Iowans to learn some history about a great man that we otherwise wouldn't learn. Sucks that it leaked but I hope they make a big deal out of the naming.

Didn't say that,.. I said that without recent events doing this wouldn't have even crossed their minds.
You’ll have to understand that based on your posting history, hell just within this thread, folks will assume you have absolutely no fuçking idea what you’re talking about. I mean, you have adopted quite the authoritative tone. Care to share how you might know wether recent events created this outcome?

So Slater Field at Kinnick Stadium? Is that what we’re looking at?
It is awesome they are doing this, the following joke is at the expense of everything being branded not a crack on the validity of Slaters name being on the field.

I can hear eddy saying it now, "as is tradition the Hawkeyes line up in the pancheros, hawks edge, swarm and here comes yourrrrrr Iowa Hawkeyes lead by Moon family head coach kirk ferentz onto the beautiful Duke Slater field at kinnick stadium where the hawks will attack from the Casey's general store north endzone and defend the kum and go south endzone to start the game".

"Thanka eddy"

"No problem dolph, I'm really looking forward to watching our new running back from Naperville that we were able to secure with a gift donated from those crazy bastards at hawkeye report".

"Ed your mic is still on"

"I know".

It is awesome they are doing this, the following joke is at the expense of everything being branded not a crack on the validity of Slaters name being on the field.

I can hear eddy saying it now, "as is tradition the Hawkeyes line up in the pancheros, hawks edge, swarm and here comes yourrrrrr Iowa Hawkeyes lead by Moon family head coach kirk ferentz onto the beautiful Duke Slater field at kinnick stadium where the hawks will attack from the Casey's general store north endzone and defend the kum and go south endzone to start the game".

"Thanka eddy"

"No problem dolph, I'm really looking forward to watching our new running back from Naperville that we were able to secure with a gift donated from those crazy bastards at hawkeye report".

"Ed your mic is still on"

"I know".

Much more believable if it were Dolph with the hot mic (and stumbling through a play that’s been over for three full minutes). Just saying

It’s more of a mural on the North wall. The dorm is named after him, which is the first and only dorm named after an athlete (I believe/could be wrong on that). Slater’s name is also on the press box “wall of honor”.

In my opinion, the university can not do enough to honor Duke Slater and his story. It is a truly amazing tale by an even better man. A man every Iowan should know the story of. Naming the field after Slater should be an honor for every Hawkeye who gets to step on it in the name of competition.

I find myself not being able to read enough about Duke Slater. And when I do, I become more and more impressed with his accomplishments. Accomplishments that are awesome by today’s standards, let alone 100 years ago, in that era.

9369772.JPG
Don't disagree with anything you said. He deserves as much honor as they can give him. Point was he has been recognized before also.

Reactions: iahawks10
Doing this would be a touch of class....something the UI Athletic Department is not really known for. Duke’s is one helluva story.
My guess is the Athletic Dept. has a helluva lot more class than you do.

I find myself not being able to read enough about Duke Slater. And when I do, I become more and more impressed with his accomplishments. Accomplishments that are awesome by today’s standards, let alone 100 years ago, in that e
Don't disagree with anything you said. He deserves as much honor as they can give him. Point was he has been recognized beforIIA

9369772.JPG

As I recall this s0 called mural comes from a photo that shows Slater blocking several opposing players on one play.

Why not just go with Kinnick-Slater Stadium?

I am much more down with that. Give them equal billing. The two giants of Iowa Football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT