ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa played 4 consecutive opposing team's senior nights.

SI_NYC

HR All-American
Dec 15, 2001
Iowa faired pretty well, but what team has to go on the road for 4 senior nights in one year? I'd bet that's never happened before. Iowa should be making a stink about scheduling in the off season. This combined with Iowa having only three weekend home games (no Saturday home games btw) when some teams had 7+ home weekend games just doesn't seem like the Big Ten is playing fairly with scheduling. This costs Iowa ticket sales as well as a more hostile environment for opposing teams.

We played in 4 senior nights in a row, but one of them was ours (Northwestern). It's still pretty weird that our last 3 road games were the opposing teams Senior night.

We played in 4 senior nights in a row, but one of them was ours (Northwestern). It's still pretty weird that our last 3 road games were the opposing teams Senior night.
Ah yes, but still three is a lot. Even if you just have two, you feel you are getting screwed. I would bet the winning percentage of senior nights regardless of teams is over 70%.

Senior Night in the Big 10 this year

W - Illinois vs Iowa
L - Indiana vs Rutgers
W - Iowa vs NW
W - Maryland vs Minnesota
L - Michigan vs Iowa
W - Michigan State vs Maryland
L - Minnesota vs Indiana
L - Nebraska vs Iowa
W - Northwestern vs Minnesota
L - Ohio State vs Michigan
L - Penn State vs Nebraska
W - Purdue vs Indiana
W - Rutgers vs Penn State
L - Wisconsin vs Nebraska

Home Teams were 7-7 this year. Two of the wins were Rutgers over Penn State by 1 (survived last possession) and Purdue by 2 over Indiana.

Now, let's talk about Duke's Senior Night (and Coach K's last game). :)

W - Illinois vs Iowa
L - Indiana vs Rutgers
W - Iowa vs NW
L - Michigan vs Iowa
L - Minnesota vs Indiana
L - Nebraska vs Iowa
W - Purdue vs Indiana

Home Teams were 7-7 this year. Two of the wins were Rutgers over Penn State by 1 (survived last possession) and Purdue by 2 over Indiana.

Senior days having to play at
Iowa 3
Nebraska 2
Minnesota 2
Indiana 2
PSU 1
Rutgers 1
NW1
Michigan 1
Maryland 1

Michigan St 0
OSU 0
Purdue 0
Illinois 0
Wisconsin 0

Wow, color me f*****g shocked.

Iowa 3
Nebraska 2
Minnesota 2
Indiana 2
PSU 1
Rutgers 1
NW1
Michigan 1
Maryland 1

Michigan St 0
OSU 0
Purdue 0
Illinois 0
Wisconsin 0

Set up like homecoming football games :), yet teams went 7-7 (and 2 other teams barely won). The narrative is not really what people think it is.

Iowa 3
Nebraska 2
Minnesota 2
Indiana 2
PSU 1
Rutgers 1
NW1
Michigan 1
Maryland 1

Michigan St 0
OSU 0
Purdue 0
Illinois 0
Wisconsin 0

That is beyond unfair. Our B1G schedule was brutal this year. That needs to get fixed going forward.

W - Illinois vs Iowa
L - Indiana vs Rutgers
W - Iowa vs NW
L - Michigan vs Iowa
L - Minnesota vs Indiana
L - Nebraska vs Iowa
W - Purdue vs Indiana

So what this shows is that, from a win-loss perspective it doesn't really matter. You'd think that just from a home court perspective that there would be an advantage but this shows no advantage. And yet people will still complain that it's outrageous and unfair. Carry on.

Iowa 3
Nebraska 2
Minnesota 2
Indiana 2
PSU 1
Rutgers 1
NW1
Michigan 1
Maryland 1

Michigan St 0
OSU 0
Purdue 0
Illinois 0
Wisconsin 0

I was going to post this then add on top of it, weekend home games. And no... Friday night games don't count...

MSU- 7
OSU- 7
Purdue- 6
Maryland- 5
Wisconsin- 5
Minnesota- 5
Penn St. - 4
Rutgers- 4
Indiana- 4
Michigan- 3
Iowa - 3
Nebraska- 3
Northwestern- 3
Illinois- 2

I was going to post this then add on top of it, weekend home games. And no... Friday night games don't count...

MSU- 7
OSU- 7
Purdue- 6
Maryland- 5
Wisconsin- 5
Minnesota- 5
Penn St. - 4
Rutgers- 4
Indiana- 4
Michigan- 3
Iowa - 3
Nebraska- 3
Northwestern- 3
Illinois- 2
Unlike the senior night thing that wasn't intentional, I assume weekend scheduling is intentional - maximizing TV viewership. At least I can't believe that TV doesn't have a major role in it.

But, it's unfair to the home crowd - the balance should be better.

Iowa 3
Nebraska 2
Minnesota 2
Indiana 2
PSU 1
Rutgers 1
NW1
Michigan 1
Maryland 1

Michigan St 0
OSU 0
Purdue 0
Illinois 0
Wisconsin 0

Thank you. That's messed up and shows the BT's bias to how they want things to play out.

So what this shows is that, from a win-loss perspective it doesn't really matter. You'd think that just from a home court perspective that there would be an advantage but this shows no advantage. And yet people will still complain that it's outrageous and unfair. Carry on.
One year doesn't show that at all. Go back and figure out the past ten years and I'll be shocked that the home team doesn't win disproportionate amount of games compared to the regular percentage of games won by the home team. You honestly can't see bias in who plays at senior day games? This year, zero for MSU, WI, IL, Purdue and OSU. That isn't by accident.

Last edited:
One year doesn't show that at all. Go back and figure out the past ten years and I'll be shocked that the home team doesn't win disproportionate amount of games compared to the regular percentage of games won by the home team. You honestly can't see bias in who plays at senior day games. This year, zero for MSU, WI, IL, Purdue and OSU. That isn't by accident.
Honestly I doubt it's much different than home games in general. The real bias if you're looking for something to complain about is the Saturday home schedule. That's a TV viewer bias.

Honestly I doubt it's much different than home games in general. The real bias if you're looking for something to complain about is the Saturday home schedule. That's a TV viewer bias.
That was in the original post as well.

ADVERTISEMENT