ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Players on Scholarship

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
The NCAA limit is 13, we currently have 11 0n schollies. Now Patrick takes a leave of absence and Ogundele is hurt. Mulvey seldom plays so we are down to 8 scholarship players that can contribute.

Fran has really done a poor job managing scholarships. His denial of using the portal (one player in two years), lack of embracing NIL and refusal to embrace the junior college pool has resulted in an undersized and less than athletic team.

Iowa fans deserve better Fran. Iowans are patient and fairly tolerant but when they think they are being used or disrespected, it can get ugly quickly. Not since the Lickliter days did I change the channel but I have for three games in a row. Ugly basketball. Too much standing around the perimeter play and not enough inside the paint play.

I like our incoming class a lot but it is obvious there are several scholarship players not contributing that should be replaced with more talented players from the portal. C'mon Fran, you and your staff need to get with it!

Yeah, 8 scholarship players that can be relied upon is not good. And even when Ogundele is healthy, Fran is hesitant to use him.

I would imagine the starters tomorrow are:

Ulis
Perkins
Kris
Connor
Filip

Off the bench:

Payton (who's 0 for what, 18?? in B1G play)
Dasonte
Dix

We just don't have much size in these 8 players and 7'0 Mulvey is unfortunately not an option.

Ughhhh

• Sad
Reactions: EZ2BJZ
Yeah, 8 scholarship players that can be relied upon is not good. And even when Ogundele is healthy, Fran is hesitant to use him.

I would imagine the starters tomorrow are:

Ulis
Perkins
Kris
Connor
Filip

Off the bench:

Payton (who's 0 for what, 18?? in B1G play)
Dasonte
Dix

We just don't have much size in these 8 players and 7'0 Mulvey is unfortunately not an option.

Ughhhh
That is the long and short of it, mostly short.

The NCAA limit is 13, we currently have 11 0n schollies. Now Patrick takes a leave of absence and Ogundele is hurt. Mulvey seldom plays so we are down to 8 scholarship players that can contribute.

Fran has really done a poor job managing scholarships. His denial of using the portal (one player in two years), lack of embracing NIL and refusal to embrace the junior college pool has resulted in an undersized and less than athletic team.

Iowa fans deserve better Fran. Iowans are patient and fairly tolerant but when they think they are being used or disrespected, it can get ugly quickly. Not since the Lickliter days did I change the channel but I have for three games in a row. Ugly basketball. Too much standing around the perimeter play and not enough inside the paint play.

I like our incoming class a lot but it is obvious there are several scholarship players not contributing that should be replaced with more talented players from the portal. C'mon Fran, you and your staff need to get with it!
Sorry, but any fan who feels used or disrespected by how a coach does his job, good or bad, is delusional

Can you actually ''fire'' an underperforming player and takeaway a scholarship? I think we are looking at some very lean times in the win column. I don't see a B1G Tourney championship this go around.

With NIL - the answer should absolutely be a yes to reviewing scholarship options each year

Yes, Fran deserves some criticism for the roster, but you also have to consider this -

Players exceeding expectations - Rebracca

Players meeting expectations - CMac, Murray

Players underperforming - everyone else, some woefully short of even average expectations.

Mulvey must not be very good at all, and Fran must not have much hope for him contributing ever or he would have logged a lot more minutes in November.

Now PMac is sidelined.

I don't think anyone could have predicted that so many players would fall this far short of expectations.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Sorry, but any fan who feels used or disrespected by how a coach does his job, good or bad, is delusional
Delusional? As a ticket holder and donar to the university, expecting a winner is delusional. I do feel we are being used, when scholarships aren't being utilized to their full potential and use of the portal is nonexistent. Mostly because Fran wants existing players to make as much or more than a new player. Bring in one or two from the portal then see what happens. The announcers mentioned the portal players Nebraska and Penn State brought in have really helped their teams. Fran's afraid he might hurt an existing players feels.

Reactions: dekhawk and EZ2BJZ

So I guess you don't remember the string of bigs that McCaffery pursued from the portal this past summer only to have our lack of NIL have them sign elsewhere. We would get excited prospect after prospect and then find ourselves bridesmaids once again. To say McCaffery's "denial of using the portal" was to blame really isn't true. We would get excited all over when each name was raised, only to have our hopes dashed. Yeah, it would have been nice to land one of those young men, but other schools embraced the spirit of the NIL if not the guidelines and signed those players.

So I guess you don't remember the string of bigs that McCaffery pursued from the portal this past summer only to have our lack of NIL have them sign elsewhere. We would get excited prospect after prospect and then find ourselves bridesmaids once again. To say McCaffery's "denial of using the portal" was to blame really isn't true. We would get excited all over when each name was raised, only to have our hopes dashed. Yeah, it would have been nice to land one of those young men, but other schools embraced the spirit of the NIL if not the guidelines and signed those players.

Fran definitely tried to get bigs last year on the portal. He was also close with a couple of bigs this season (the kids who went to Duke and Tennessee). He was hampered by not having the NIL in place.

He must succeed this spring with the transfer portal now that the Swarm NIL is in place (not sure why the Iowa program didn't have one in place until this season as other programs got theirs in place) - regardless, no excuses this Spring. Fran can't afford to whiff on the portal this spring - experienced help is needed at all positions really - especially the 1 and 5 spots.

Never figured out why Luc Laketa doesn't play more. There are only 3 Hawkeyes that can hit shots and Luc is one of them (KM and FR the other 2) They should be taking all set up shots. Quit running plays for brick layers.

I remember all to well but I also remember Fran stating he would not pay an incoming player more than existing players were getting. Sounded like there was monet but he opted not to pay.

I remember all to well but I also remember Fran stating he would not pay an incoming player more than existing players were getting. Sounded like there was monet but he opted not to pay.
NIL is quickly evolving. There were comments from Iowa football that they wanted all players to get the same, but now they had a lot of money lined up for Proctor and got Cade McNamara. Positions evolve.

Yes, Fran deserves some criticism for the roster, but you also have to consider this -

Players exceeding expectations - Rebracca

Players meeting expectations - CMac, Murray

Players underperforming - everyone else, some woefully short of even average expectations.

Mulvey must not be very good at all, and Fran must not have much hope for him contributing ever or he would have logged a lot more minutes in November.

Now PMac is sidelined.

I don't think anyone could have predicted that so many players would fall this far short of expectations.

I think we all thought Ulis, Tony, Pmac, Kris, Filip and Sandfort would take that next step. Kris and Filip have, for the most part. The others? Ughhhh....

And I think we all just assumed a Fran McCaffery team would always score 80 points, with some exceptions, of course. But, dang, we have been struggling in scoring.

And we never could afford injuries; we have had too many this season.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur

Hadn't heard Jelly was injured. Dude doesn't even play. Practice thing?

What follows is the current roster for next season. Currently we have no scholarships available but I think we all expect at least one early departure.

We need to get at least one big from the transfer portal. Do we need a shooting guard, too?

2023-2024 Roster (13 on Scholarship; 0 scholarships available):

FRESHMEN: 4 players

6"10" C Owen Freeman

6'0" PG Brock Harding

6'7" SF Pryce Sandfort

6'8" PF Ladji Dembele

SOPHOMORES: 2 players

6'3" PG Dasonte Bowen

6'5" SG Josh Dix

JUNIORS: 2 players

6'7" F Payton Sandfort

6'11" C Riley Mulvey

SENIORS: 5 players

6'4" G Tony Perkins

6'2" G Ahron Ulis

6'8" F Kris Murray

6'9" SF Patrick McCaffery

6'11" C Josh Ogundele

4 Notable Walk on players:

SENIORS: 1 player

Dante Eldridge....walk on.

JUNIORS: 1 player

Luc Laketa....preferred walk on.

SOPHOMORES: 1 players

Carter Kingsbury....preferred walk on.

FRESHMEN: 1 player

Amarion Nimmers....preferred walk on.

What follows is the current roster for next season. Currently we have no scholarships available but I think we all expect at least one early departure.

We need to get at least one big from the transfer portal. Do we need a shooting guard, too?

2023-2024 Roster (13 on Scholarship; 0 scholarships available):

FRESHMEN: 4 players

6"10" C Owen Freeman

6'0" PG Brock Harding

6'7" SF Pryce Sandfort

6'8" PF Ladji Dembele

SOPHOMORES: 2 players

6'3" PG Dasonte Bowen

6'5" SG Josh Dix

JUNIORS: 2 players

6'7" F Payton Sandfort

6'11" C Riley Mulvey

SENIORS: 5 players

6'4" G Tony Perkins

6'2" G Ahron Ulis

6'8" F Kris Murray

6'9" SF Patrick McCaffery

6'11" C Josh Ogundele

4 Notable Walk on players:

SENIORS: 1 player

Dante Eldridge....walk on.

JUNIORS: 1 player

Luc Laketa....preferred walk on.

SOPHOMORES: 1 players

Carter Kingsbury....preferred walk on.

FRESHMEN: 1 player

Amarion Nimmers....preferred walk on.
Yeah, not feeling to good about that roster for 23/24. Assume Murray leaves, of course, leaving a scholy open, but Fran's unlikely to hit the portal, right? Maybe a one-year guy?

Yeah, not feeling to good about that roster for 23/24. Assume Murray leaves, of course, leaving a scholy open, but Fran's unlikely to hit the portal, right? Maybe a one-year guy?

Fran said last March that he was going to land a big; he struck out.

Next season, Josh & Riley might be gone (but Fran doesn't use them now, of course). And then Fran would only be left with freshmen (Owen & Ladji).

IMO, he really needs to land a big (a 5) this time around. And Fran's probably going to have to allow SWARM to do their thing to entice that prospect to come here.

Fran said last March that he was going to land a big; he struck out.

Next season, Josh & Riley might be gone (but Fran doesn't use them now, of course). And then Fran would only be left with freshmen (Owen & Ladji).

IMO, he really needs to land a big (a 5) this time around. And Fran's probably going to have to allow SWARM to do their thing to entice that prospect to come here.
Agree 100%.

Will the Swarm spend money on basketball players at this point, or will most go to football?

Agree 100%.

Will the Swarm spend money on basketball players at this point, or will most go to football?

IMO, I think the SWARM is ready to spend money to help land recruits for men's basketball; I just think Fran needs to give the ok.

It's really weird typing what I just typed. Remember when this was all illegal? LOL

like our incoming class a lot but it is obvious there are several scholarship players not contributing that should be replaced with more talented players from the portal.
None of the incoming freshmen will replace what Iowa will be losing. For whatever reason, Fran is unable to land almost all of the guys he covets. That’s why you see such a drop off in talent on the bench. There have just been too many wasted scholarships over the years that have severely limited this team. I mean, busts happen, but the list of guys Fran has put on scholarship that shouldn’t have been is long. Too long.

In short , there will have to be a surprise superstar player (I don’t know who that could possibly be) emerge next year or Iowa is going to suck.

The bottom line is the ceiling has been reached with Fran. And as Iowa State has proven, you can turn a program around in no time. I would say buy out Fran’s contract at the end of the season, but thanks to our genius AD I don’t think that’s feasible.

Reactions: DewHawk
IMO, I think the SWARM is ready to spend money to help land recruits for men's basketball; I just think Fran needs to give the ok.

It's really weird typing what I just typed. Remember when this was all illegal? LOL
Yeah, way back when?

I still don't understand how the coaches and the Swarm can legally communicate. How does the Swarm know which guys Fran wants? Can he just tell them?

Strange new world.

It's not Fran and KF's fault Barta screwed up the NIL. It's not Fran's fault that students don't get free tickets and carver is not well laid out for crowd noise.. Both Fran and KF have a lot of political power/ability to go public with the issues/hurdles they face. They never went public with any issues. Yet when it comes to getting every dollar out of Iowa/Barta for salary, they both are pretty attentive to that issue.

I've never seen the value in banking a couple schollies which Fran has done on a regular basis. With NIL, b-ball is now a business...if you need to free up schollies, send a non-performer packing or pay for one of your kid's scholly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT