ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Poll: Most likely voters want to add right ‘to keep and bear arms’ to Iowa Constitution

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Pathetic!:

A majority of likely voters say they would support a proposed amendment to the Iowa Constitution that would add the right “to keep and bear arms” — and go beyond the protections contained in the U.S. Constitution’s Second Amendment — if the election were held today.

A new Des Moines Register/Mediacom Iowa Poll found 58% of likely voters plan to vote for the proposed amendment in the Nov. 8 midterm election. Thirty-seven percent of likely voters would vote against it, and another 6% are not sure.

The poll asked likely voters if they would vote “yes” or “no” and included the full language of the proposed amendment, which states: "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. The sovereign state of Iowa affirms and recognizes this right to be a fundamental individual right. Any and all restrictions of this right shall be subject to strict scrutiny."

The poll, conducted Oct. 9-12 by Selzer & Co., surveyed 620 likely Iowa voters. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.9 percentage points.

The amendment receives support from 86% of Republicans and 61% of independents but just 18% of Democrats, the poll found. In only a few cases do at least half say they will vote no, including 76% of Democrats, 52% of those with no religious affiliation and 50% of those with a college degree or more.

Pathetic!:

A majority of likely voters say they would support a proposed amendment to the Iowa Constitution that would add the right “to keep and bear arms” — and go beyond the protections contained in the U.S. Constitution’s Second Amendment — if the election were held today.

A new Des Moines Register/Mediacom Iowa Poll found 58% of likely voters plan to vote for the proposed amendment in the Nov. 8 midterm election. Thirty-seven percent of likely voters would vote against it, and another 6% are not sure.

The poll asked likely voters if they would vote “yes” or “no” and included the full language of the proposed amendment, which states: "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. The sovereign state of Iowa affirms and recognizes this right to be a fundamental individual right. Any and all restrictions of this right shall be subject to strict scrutiny."

The poll, conducted Oct. 9-12 by Selzer & Co., surveyed 620 likely Iowa voters. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.9 percentage points.

The amendment receives support from 86% of Republicans and 61% of independents but just 18% of Democrats, the poll found. In only a few cases do at least half say they will vote no, including 76% of Democrats, 52% of those with no religious affiliation and 50% of those with a college degree or more.

Most of the counties around me have already declared themselves 2nd Amendment Sanctuaries.

• Sad
Reactions: cigaretteman
Because we all know that the only answer to increased gun violence in America is more guns and less regulations.
Fvck mere gun racks in trucks. Kids should be allowed to open carry in class from now on. 2nd says nothing can prevent that. Hell, the 2nd says nothing about you even having to be 18. Let gd 4th graders open carry if they want.

Last edited:
What do these states have in common? : California, Iowa, Maryland, Minnesota, New Jersey, and New York

Only states that dont have some form of a 2nd in their state constitution. Lets not be like those other 5...

Fvck mere gun racks in trucks. Kids should be allowed to open carry in class from now on. 2nd says nothing can prevent that. Hell, the 2nd says nothing about you even having to be 18. Let gd 4th graders open carry if they want.
Yes I had a gun rack in my pickup with shotguns in it . Also a Ruger Bearcat .22 under the front seat. Went to class left the pickup unlocked. Many others did also. This was in High school in Keokuk , IA in 1970. Didn't think anything of it.

f071533d9203449f153de0e5d8a67721.jpg

Pathetic!:

Voted yesterday at Courthouse in my County. You bet your ass I voted for this. Straight R. FYI

Dropped my ballot off this morning…I voted no for the simple reason that I know what they really mean is that there can be absolutely no impediment to pew-pewin’….no matter how sensible the restrictions.

I do expect it will pass, but I’ll be danged if I’m part of the problem. 2A has somehow been elevated above all else.

What do these states have in common? : California, Iowa, Maryland, Minnesota, New Jersey, and New York

Only states that dont have some form of a 2nd in their state constitution. Lets not be like those other 5...

We're not like those other 5, we're a very desirable state for racist hermits

Reactions: Chishawk1425
It’ll pass because I would venture to guess more independent voters don’t know what “strict scrutiny” actually means.

It means 99% of gun laws that might pass will be thrown out by the courts. Can’t wait for more felons and ten year olds to own an unlimited supply of firearms.

Yes I had a gun rack in my pickup with shotguns in it . Also a Ruger Bearcat .22 under the front seat. Went to class left the pickup unlocked. Many others did also. This was in High school in Keokuk , IA in 1970. Didn't think anything of it.
This happened at my school growing up until one day a kid got beat up after PE. He went to his truck, got his shotgun, and confronted the other kid at gunpoint in front of hundreds of kids as they scattered. Police showed up and talked the kid to lay it down, but he stood there pointing the gun and yelling at the other kid for at least 30-min before he finally relented.

Does not adding it really matter?

I am all for less guns but I don’t see this as really mattering.

This happened at my school growing up until one day a kid got beat up after PE. He went to his truck, got his shotgun, and confronted the other kid at gunpoint in front of hundreds of kids as they scattered. Police showed up and talked the kid to lay it down, but he stood there pointing the gun and yelling at the other kid for at least 30-min before he finally relented.
And the lesson is if the other kid would have had a gun too the issue would have been resolved by the time the cops arrived…

I'll wait for the school shootings to come to Waukee, Ankeny, or Dowling and watch the outrage.

Of course, by that time... Republicans will have armed teachers and teacher's aides.

Pew, Pew, Pew, Pew....

Reactions: cigaretteman
I view the US and Iowa's offense the same at this point. An absolute shit show, but you have to laugh.

I for one am shocked that one of the boards biggest effing morans voted straight R. Effing shocked.
There was no other choice. Franken is crazy wants Iowa to be like California, fine you for not voting. Cindy Taxne has done nothing ! And her ads are annoying as hell. Dejear is laughable has no chance. Reynolds is a Great leader for Iowa. Admit it. All those Democrats supporting Abortion rights. Suck it I don't believe in killing babies. Rape incest or life of the mother is a different story.

• Haha
Reactions: Kelsers
There was no other choice. Franken is crazy wants Iowa to be like California, fine you for not voting. Cindy Taxne has done nothing ! And her ads are annoying as hell. Dejear is laughable has no chance. Reynolds is a Great leader for Iowa. Admit it. All those Democrats supporting Abortion rights. Suck it I don't believe in killing babies. Rape incest or life of the mother is a different story.
The problem is your last sentence. Reynolds has hinted she'll push for complete ban on abortion with no conditions.

Want to try again to justify your stance, cause everything else looks like a Republican campaign ad. Reminds me of the scare tactics they used in 2020... warning of $13/gal gas. Unfortunately or fortunately, Iowa voters are dumb enough to believe everything they hear or read.

Mississippi North

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT