ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa posts 3rd-fastest COVID spread in nation; more than 2,700 educators have tested positive

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Iowa on Thursday reported more than 900 new confirmed coronavirus cases and 14 deaths in the past 24 hours, as a federal report said the state has one of the nation's highest infection rates.

As of Thursday morning, Iowa Department of Public Health data showed 918 new confirmed cases in the past 24 hours, raising the state total to 76,965 known positive cases. An additional 14 people died for a total of 1,248 deaths attributed to COVID-19 since March.
The data also show that an increasing number of children under age 17 have tested positive for the virus, with the total now 5,929. That's an increase of 389 cases since Monday. More than 2,700 educators have tested positive for the virus.

In a report released Sunday, the White House Coronavirus Task Force continued to place Iowa in the red zone for cases. Iowa has the nation's third-highest rate for new cases per 100,000 people. The task force noted Iowa has seen a decrease in new cases in the past week.
The report repeated a recommendation that Iowa implement a statewide mask mandate. Gov. Kim Reynolds says a mandate wouldn't be effective and isn't needed.

Iowa on Thursday reported more than 900 new confirmed coronavirus cases and 14 deaths in the past 24 hours, as a federal report said the state has one of the nation's highest infection rates.

As of Thursday morning, Iowa Department of Public Health data showed 918 new confirmed cases in the past 24 hours, raising the state total to 76,965 known positive cases. An additional 14 people died for a total of 1,248 deaths attributed to COVID-19 since March.
The data also show that an increasing number of children under age 17 have tested positive for the virus, with the total now 5,929. That's an increase of 389 cases since Monday. More than 2,700 educators have tested positive for the virus.

In a report released Sunday, the White House Coronavirus Task Force continued to place Iowa in the red zone for cases. Iowa has the nation's third-highest rate for new cases per 100,000 people. The task force noted Iowa has seen a decrease in new cases in the past week.
The report repeated a recommendation that Iowa implement a statewide mask mandate. Gov. Kim Reynolds says a mandate wouldn't be effective and isn't needed.

Did they contract it while at school? Honest question.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
NW Iowa has accepted it as a way of life. We have the top 3 county positivity rates in the state and I’m still allowed to go watch a hs football game tonight. We have 100% in-person school. Our bars and restaurants will have a decent crowd tonight with no restrictions.

Covid isn’t going away. It can be slowed but you’re just postponing positives. The vaccine is 8 months away for your average citizen. In 8 months <50% of your average citizens will care about Covid enough to get the series of vaccinations.

"The data also show that an increasing number of children under age 17 have tested positive for the virus " Huh, maybe they're being tested more often than others now because school started?

And where's the stats on who's really sick? How many are going into the hospital. Haven't heard stories about ventilators for 6 months. We never hear the "most people who get it never show symptoms" line anymore because that would ruin the infection stat story

NW Iowa has accepted it as a way of life. We have the top 3 county positivity rates in the state and I’m still allowed to go watch a hs football game tonight. We have 100% in-person school. Our bars and restaurants will have a decent crowd tonight with no restrictions.

Covid isn’t going away. It can be slowed but you’re just postponing positives. The vaccine is 8 months away for your average citizen. In 8 months <50% of your average citizens will care about Covid enough to get the series of vaccinations.
Nope, just the morons in NW Iowa.

Reactions: Chishawk1425
Nope, just the morons in NW Iowa.

It’s not going away. Been here 6 months and it’ll be another 8 before a vaccine is available for the general population. Therapeutics in the last 6 months have amounted to decades old drugs that lessen the recovery time. Meh. Dont see much in the therapeutic side going forward. It’s a virus. Like the flu there isn’t a cure. Slow burn.

How many of the educators and students that have tested positive have been hospitalized...honest question

How many of those schools have had issues finding substitutes and how many student's grades have been adversely affected by being out of school for two weeks? Honest question.

Reactions: Chishawk1425
We are coming off of a labor day weekend plus schools are back. Increased cases make sense especially among the youth. Personally I see a huge difference (positive) with our kids being back in school and doing activities. Keep open, be reasonable, and be responsible.

Reactions: HawkPT
We are coming off of a labor day weekend plus schools are back. Increased cases make sense especially among the youth. Personally I see a huge difference (positive) with our kids being back in school and doing activities. Keep open, be reasonable, and be responsible.
But But But cases. Corona Bros never mention the benefits that go with everything you mentioned in your post.

But But But cases. Corona Bros never mention the benefits that go with everything you mentioned in your post.

my in-laws came to see our kids for the first time in 6 months. They were a bit nervous but they were able to spend a week with their grandchildren and daughter. They loved it. Of course there are risks but even Europe is taking a different approach this time with cases increasing. I am not frequenting a bar any time soon or marching against masks, I just don’t think lockdowns are worth the consequences.

Interesting how the Hawkeye football players can get tested daily and get results immediately yet Joe Public has to schedule a test and then wait a few days for results. Our priorities seemed a bit off here.

Reactions: artradley
North Scott has one kid in the hospital. My friend was sent home from his classroom yesterday for exposure.
Yeah, but those kids never have contact with vulnerable family members or other high risk groups.

The virus is a Dem hoax intended to hurt President Trump's reelection efforts. It will go away when the weather warms.

Yeah, but those kids never have contact with vulnerable family members or other high risk groups.

The virus is a Dem hoax intended to hurt President Trump's reelection efforts. It will go away when the weather warms.
Those people have lived their lives...plus they are fat and about ready to die anyway.

Reactions: srams21
We can safely reopen. But mask usage must be enforced. The stay responsible line is a pipedream. People won't stay responsible on their own.

Interesting how the Hawkeye football players can get tested daily and get results immediately yet Joe Public has to schedule a test and then wait a few days for results. Our priorities seemed a bit off here.

I just got tested an hour ago. I get tested every 2 weeks. I’m the definition of Joe Public. Monday mornings the state emails me an assessment. I answer the questions honestly and every time they offer me a test.

1st offer is a drive thru test site. Nearest one is 45 miles so I click “None of these locations work”. Next they offer me local clinics. I pick my local clinic and am offered to schedule a test on that Monday thru Friday 1pm-5pm. I waited in my car 5 minutes, name DOB and scan code took 30 seconds. The last couple months I’ve been getting my results in 30ish hours. All for free.

85 people in a small area vs 3,000,000 spread out across an entire state.

yup, same thing.

also, one of my kids did test Iowa drive through and had results within 48 hours.

Corona Bros never answer any follow up questions.

You tell us. If you peddle fear be ready to answer some questions.
Well, it could be pretty damn high. This case traced back 71 positive cases to one person getting it in an elevator. That’s just one positive....so...

Just sat on a call with a presentation from Dr. Christopher Murray (Univ of Washington). Their model has been one of the most predictive. It was sobering, with a baseline prediction of 3,000 U.S. deaths per day coming this winter. Advocated a national mask mandate as very low risk/reward trade off to the economy. Obviously it’s a model, plenty margin of error but that goes both ways, the worst case showed deaths upwards of 8,000 per day.

We can safely reopen. But mask usage must be enforced. The stay responsible line is a pipedream. People won't stay responsible on their own.

I don’t disagree. Masks so that we can have some normal commerce is a no brainer. It allows the government to be much more targeted with assistance. Primary in need will be service sector tied to hospitality. There is no reason for John Deere to shut down, Chi Chi’s is a different story.

All our nursing homes now have the fast antigen test. :)

But it's not as accurate as the test you have to send to the lab. :(

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT