ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa potential bowl destinations

Big Hawk D-Port

HR Heisman
Nov 29, 2004
Crazy to think about after a month ago, where most had given the Hawkeyes up for dead. But Iowa is definitely going bowling, and likely will represent the West division in the B1G Championship.

The Bowl scenarios are wild to think about. The first option being Iowa beats Nebraska and then wins the B1G Championship, that would mean a trip to the Rose Bowl.

Another option that seems unlikely at this point, is Iowa loses the finale to Nebraska. That would likely put Iowa below Purdue and Illinois and Purdue in not only the B1G Championship race, but also bowl pecking order. The Music City Bowl or Dukes Mayo Bowl seems likely in this case.

Where it gets weird is what I believe is the most likely outcome, which is Iowa beats Nebraska and then gets boat raced by OSU in Indy. In that case OSU is going to the playoff. Could Michigan also be included? If Big Blue makes the final four, Iowa could still be in line for a trip to Pasadena, no? The only other candidate would be Penn State, who will finish one game ahead of Iowa and be third place in their division.

It’s hard to see Iowa falls below the Citrus Bowl, and that seems to be the most likely destination.

I THINK in your last scenario the Rose gets the highest rated team after OSU goes to the playoff. Guessing that’s gonna be Michigan unless they get manhandled and drop below PSU.

Reactions: EndzoneHawk
South Carolina beating Tennessee might play a role in this discussion. Could put the Michigan/OSU loser in the playoff.
If USC and Tennessee lose tonight it would take a blowout next Saturday in Columbus for the loser of that game to be out, unless LSU beats Georgia and TCU stays unbeaten.

At this point I think there is a good chance both Michigan and tOSU are in.

If USC and Tennessee lose tonight it would take a blowout next Saturday in Columbus for the loser of that game to be out, unless LSU beats Georgia and TCU stays unbeaten.

At this point I think there is a good chance both Michigan and tOSU are in.
I do think Ohio State is going to beat Michigan by 3 TDs.

the fact that this Iowa team with a truly putrid offense is in any discussion for a major bowl is nothing short of astounding.
Phil Parker needs both of the Ferentz’s paychecks.
Yes, our Defense is outstanding. It takes incredible leadership to instill the resiliency we are witnessing. KF has excelled.

Provided the Hawks beat Neb ( I expect they will), they will be a very uncomfortable rematch for whoever it is.

If Iowa winds up in the Duke’s Mayo Bowl, I’m in. I’m in Charlotte and we’ll be in town.

Pretty sure if the BigTen champ isn’t available, then the Rose takes the next highest ranked team that is available. If the BigTen happens to get two teams into the CFP, then Penn State would seem to be a lock.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Odd year.. Iowa offense with a pulse (slight) and great D.. mich and Osu beat up and flatlining a bit. PSU prob the cleanest team in the league right now despite having top WR, starting LT and LG out for the year.

For D guys both Iowa and PSU D’s are annihilating teams. PSU with 40 TFL’s in last 3 games, last 3 opponents under 200 yards.

Is there a rule where the BTCG loser can’t fall below the “outback?” Or is that kind of an urban legend?

the fact that this Iowa team with a truly putrid offense is in any discussion for a major bowl is nothing short of astounding.
Phil Parker needs both of the Ferentz’s paychecks.
The TEAM is resilient. We sure couldn't run the ball, with OL issues again, BUT Petras played a very strong game in poor weather conditions. For as great as are Defense has been all year, they could not stop Minny from running the ball at will, and that had NOTHING to do with short fields either. They drove the field on us two or three times, and we could not stop them. Phil had no answer for stopping them from running it down our throats, and he was frustrated. This looked alot like Purdue games, except instead of the pass game, we could not stop them from running for almost 7 yards per carry. We were bailed out on that fumble inside the ten yard line, period. The pick was a solid play by Moss, but Fleck should never have been throwing that ball late like that anyway. My point is, its a team game. Yesterday the special teams was great, defense was decent, but got gashed in the run game. The offense made enough plays in the pass game, (with some nice calls by BF by the way), to do just enough to win.

The TEAM is resilient. We sure couldn't run the ball, with OL issues again, BUT Petras played a very strong game in poor weather conditions. For as great as are Defense has been all year, they could not stop Minny from running the ball at will, and that had NOTHING to do with short fields either. They drove the field on us two or three times, and we could not stop them. Phil had no answer for stopping them from running it down our throats, and he was frustrated. This looked alot like Purdue games, except instead of the pass game, we could not stop them from running for almost 7 yards per carry. We were bailed out on that fumble inside the ten yard line, period. The pick was a solid play by Moss, but Fleck should never have been throwing that ball late like that anyway. My point is, its a team game. Yesterday the special teams was great, defense was decent, but got gashed in the run game. The offense made enough plays in the pass game, (with some nice calls by BF by the way), to do just enough to win.
Just a couple comments. Fleck ran Ibrahim to death in that game. Fatigue was likely an issue in the fumble, but Campbell put on a nice hit to knock that ball loose. The fumble wasn't a gift, it was the result of a good defensive play. Also, Fleck made multiple mistakes and Iowa made him pay. Saturday was the quintessential bend-don't-break defense....all those yards and only 10 points to show for it. Vintage Hawkeye defense.

Just a couple comments. Fleck ran Ibrahim to death in that game. Fatigue was likely an issue in the fumble, but Campbell put on a nice hit to knock that ball loose. The fumble wasn't a gift, it was the result of a good defensive play. Also, Fleck made multiple mistakes and Iowa made him pay. Saturday was the quintessential bend-don't-break defense....all those yards and only 10 points to show for it. Vintage Hawkeye defense.
While far from Iowa’s top total yardage game this year, the Hawks did hold Minnesota to less than their per-game season average.

Very happy to have been wrong about Iowa bowling this year. I don’t believe that both Michigan and Ohio St make the final four. Michigan is not that elite. After the start we had, any bowl is a blessing this year!

Yes, our Defense is outstanding. It takes incredible leadership to instill the resiliency we are witnessing. KF has excelled.

Provided the Hawks beat Neb ( I expect they will), they will be a very uncomfortable rematch for whoever it is.
I don't agree...Michigan would give us a fighting chance. Could be a lower-scoring affair between two of the best defenses in the B1G, they are not as explosive Offensively as they were last year, AND, Iowa has improved overall over the last 6 games, and Offensively over the last 4. Low ranking at the end of the year will likely keep us out of a NY6 game regardless.

I don't agree...Michigan would give us a fighting chance. Could be a lower-scoring affair between two of the best defenses in the B1G, they are not as explosive Offensively as they were last year, AND, Iowa has improved overall over the last 6 games, and Offensively over the last 4. Low ranking at the end of the year will likely keep us out of a NY6 game regardless.
I think he is saying that the Hawks would be an uncomfortable rematch for either Ohio State or Michigan....meaning we would make it a game regardless of which team we play. If I'm interpreting that correctly....I agree with that statement.

Of course a lot hinges on what happens with other top ranked teams....but my guess is that if Ohio State beats Michigan and then goes on to win the Championship game, only Ohio State goes to the playoffs. If Michigan beats Ohio State and then wins the Championship....strong possibility that Michigan and Ohio State both go.

It looked like Ibrahim was trying to stretch the ball out for the first down, which is almost always a mistake. It wasn't clear, but I think that is what happened. He was brilliant all game, and made one killer mistake.

13:50 mark here:

Wouldn't be surprised to see Iowa return to the Citrus Bowl if they are able to win Friday. but unable to pull off a shocker in the BTCG. Penn St could still fall to this spot. Purdue is another possibility (especially if they are outright B1G West champs, but we know that won't happen ;)); they haven't played in that game in almost 20 years and might not have many other opportunities.

ReliaQuest is possible, but we won't know until NY6 bowls are selected whether or not a B1G team is eligible. If the B1G gets a team in the Orange Bowl (will likely be Mich/OSU/PSU or 'Bama), then they lose their ReliaQuest spot to the ACC. Orange is obligated to take a B1G team at least once in '22, '23 or '25.

I don't see Iowa falling below the Music City Bowl, even if they lay an egg on Friday. It just stinks to have that game competing with the Sugar Bowl this year due to a strange scheduling oddity. This is the only game I would be able to go to personally, due to a Jan 2 work obligation. But I plan on making up for it by being there when tey win the BTCG on Dec 3rd ;).

He was brilliant all game, and made one killer mistake.
giphy.gif

Reactions: pistachio1999
I’m. It sure what you ‘dont’t agree with’ . I don’t really care. We will be a pain in the arse for whoever we ‘might’ get

ADVERTISEMENT